Badgers and Codgers United

Terrymac1966

There are many people on here who have been to hundreds more games over the decades, than most (including me). Think I have managed/been lucky to witness first hand some iconic NUFC games over the decades. What would your top ten be? (I’ll try and come up with mine). 

Ok, my top ten iconic games. No particular order:

Newcastle 5-0 Manchester United, 1996. Bitter sweet, partial, revenge for what had happened the previous season, overall and the same fixture, and the Charity Shield debacle. 

Newcastle 3-2 Barcelona, 1997. Unreal being 2-0 up at half time. Whole occasion was spectacular. Gillespie had a phenomenal game. (Enrique played and scored for them). 

Chelsea 2-1 FA Semi, 2000—finally saw us score at Wembley. Great occasion and atmosphere. 

Two of the three most recent cup final defeats (Arsenal 1998, Man Utd 2023). Mainly for the occasion, only really felt confident for the FA Cup against Arsenal. Convinced myself, beyond reason given the relative strength of the teams, that we’d win. 

Keegan’s first game as a player. Last season, because there were times when I never thought we return to the level we are at. 

Newcastle 5-1 Tottenham, 2016. I have never felt more proud of our support. Already relegated and the noise, mainly singing Rafa’s name, was continual. 

Grimsby 0-2 Newcastle, 1993. A third of the crowd and all of the noise from us in Blundell Park to witness Keegan’s team confirming promotion with games to spare. Electric atmosphere, mass pitch invasion. 

Newcastle 8-0 Sheffield Wednesday, 1999. Robson’s first home game as manager. So moving, in general, but to see Shearer back to his best—five goals—felt so happy for him,  like it healed the disrespect shown to him by Gullit. 

Sunderland 1-2 Newcastle, 1992. 11th win on the trot. Watched this with another three lads amongst the Sunderland fans in the clock stand, mainly sitting on our hands, not in the Fulwell end—where some radgies were openly supporting Newcastle—couldn’t help celebrating O’Briens winning goal though. Escaped unscathed and joyous. 
Newcastle 1-0 QPR, 1982. Early teens, couldn’t believe he would sign for us. Couldn’t believe he scored and how good he was (plus Waddler and Varadi). Squashed up against the wall of the Gallowgate turnstiles for an hour waiting to get in. Sunny day, cider and bits of bench (!) being launched at the mounted police wading through the dense crowd. 

When I travelled to away matches wins were in a premium, 

The 1973/74 cup run stands out I was at every round home and away including twice to Goodison in a week, Hendon away, played a Watford if I remember correctly. Scunthorpe after drawing  at home, West Brom away,  and finally Burnley at Hillsborough. 

Pirt about thee Final  

On 04/10/2023 at 19:14, Choppy Chop Chop said:

When I travelled to away matches wins were in a premium, 

The 1973/74 cup run stands out I was at every round home and away including twice to Goodison in a week, Hendon away, played a Watford if I remember correctly. Scunthorpe after drawing  at home, West Brom away,  and finally Burnley at Hillsborough. 

Pirt about thee Final  

Hendon was great....bunked school to travel and nobody dropped me in it the next day.

Back to the present it seems light years back that the prem or as it was the first division all kicked off on Saturday at 3pm

Good one for the history boffins....when was the final time this happened...I genuinely wouldnt know where to look 🙄

Newcastle 5-0 Man United for obvious reasons

Newcastle 7-1 Leicester six goals up at half time 2 hat tricks rounds off a great season

Newcastle 7-1 Spurs

Newcastle 6-1 Everton FA Cup replay

Newcastle 8-0 Sheff Wed

Newcastle 5-1 Sunderland again for obvious reasons

Antwerp 0-5 Newcastle 

Many many more over the 45 years since i went to my first game

Anyone else just happy to be in toon on matchday?

Asking this as someone who packed their season ticket in after a long time of matchgoing due to MA.

I still get occasionally and attended both Saturday and Sunday friendlies in August.

But when I dont have a ticket I still love going through...just as happy in the Black Garter or Old George to soak up the atmosphere.

Favourite haunts in the toon everyone? The Star was full of Ultras last Wednesday but was still ok despite them putting PSG stickers all over the toilets...

On 08/10/2023 at 14:41, BullyDogs said:

Newcastle 5-0 Man United for obvious reasons

Newcastle 7-1 Leicester six goals up at half time 2 hat tricks rounds off a great season

Newcastle 7-1 Spurs

Newcastle 6-1 Everton FA Cup replay

Newcastle 8-0 Sheff Wed

Newcastle 5-1 Sunderland again for obvious reasons

Antwerp 0-5 Newcastle 

Many many more over the 45 years since i went to my first game

Is Newcastle 6-1 Everton meant to be Spurs? One of my favourite ever games that. I know it was weird having the Cup start in December, but that last home game before Christmas is always one of the first I look for and the date made that night even more magic 

5 hours ago, Hovagod said:

Is Newcastle 6-1 Everton meant to be Spurs? One of my favourite ever games that. I know it was weird having the Cup start in December, but that last home game before Christmas is always one of the first I look for and the date made that night even more magic 

Yeah it was i have no idea why i put Everton, Big Dunc scored and went nuts after

The Fairs Cuo matches were all magic especially watching the opposition teams trying to cope with The  Mighty Wynn and Pop Robson in tandem. Winning the cup when I was 13 was I thought the start of a magnificent adventure and I dont ever think that being trophyless since has ever doused the passion ..I still think we have a magic no other team can surpass.

One day again soon we will be magnificent 👍

7 hours ago, Terrymac1966 said:

The Fairs Cuo matches were all magic especially watching the opposition teams trying to cope with The  Mighty Wynn and Pop Robson in tandem. Winning the cup when I was 13 was I thought the start of a magnificent adventure and I dont ever think that being trophyless since has ever doused the passion ..I still think we have a magic no other team can surpass.

One day again soon we will be magnificent 👍

This time next year, Rodders…