Paul Le Guen Leaves

Guest nufc1984

Murray is retiring in 2008 and handing over his businesses to his son. There is no money. Its a poison chalice for the next manager.

Walter Smith taking over? :lol:

Dearie me, Rangers fans REALLY do have short memories.  He was loved, is loved, but by the end of 9-in-a-row, not one Rangers fan in the country wanted him around anymore, he was that guff.

But hey, he's revitalised Scotland, must be a top manager...

I'm still hoping that Murray will adopt the Freddy Shepherd technique and appoint his interim manager (Ian Durrant) on a permanent basis. That way, Rangers get a manager every bit as ugly as their fucking sectarian Orange-marching fans.

It is ridiculous that Paul Le Guen is forced to go after 23 games only. Not even a full season. And where do Rangers stand at the moment? 2nd behind Celtic. It is only Le Guen's first year for goodness sake. Where else do you find managers of Le Guen calibre and track record? 3 years Ligue 1 champion, do you think it is a fluke? Consistent good performance in Champions League, is that another fluke? UEFA Cup 2nd stage despite paper think squad, another fluke? When I hear that the likes of Butcher or Souness should succeed Le Guen, I can only laugh.

Rangers will come to regret forcking Le Guen away. Benitez's Liverpool were poor in premiership in the first year, but is Liverpool regretting the appointment of Benitez? The ideas of Le Guen not understanding the club history, passions etc are ludicrous. Would you say the same to Benitez?

I would have Le Guen over Roeder anyday.

They're fortunate to be 2nd, and saying that, 2nd in the SPL is as good as being second bottom, especially if Celtic are top and double especially if they're 17 points or whatever clear.

The board, the press and the fans wouldn't/couldn't allow him a year or two to maybe get it right. Maybe if the players he'd brought in were showing up the ones he'd inherited then maybe he'd have been given more time but it was the other way round.

The Rangers fans here at work are absol-fuking-utely delighted he's gone.

Thing is he knew about 6 months before he started the job he would become manager, and clearly he didn't use that time sussing out the Scottish league.

I know its not the best, but you need certain individuals to get you through a season in a league like that, and i dont think he got that part right.

Underestimated the Scottish league? Maybe, maybe not, but he certainly didn't know enough about it.

I didn't realise he was pencilled in 6 months before, if thats the case then he's got no excuse for not knowing what to expect or what was expected of him.

Oh aye. He had ample time to sort himself out and prepare for it.

McLiesh was sacked (or told it was his last season) at the start of February, about a week after we sacked Souness, and within the end of the month PLG was officially going to be the new manager, it might have actually only been a week or so after.

Either way he had 6 months before the start of the season, he could of researched the whole league ten years back by then, and it still wouldn't of effected his time.

I don't disagree that Le Guen has had plenty of time to prepare himself for the new league and hence he is to be blamed for inadequate preparation for the new league. But it does not seem to me that Le Guen has not done enough homework. He brought in quite a few players, none of them seem to me panic buys (bar Lee Martin and Phil Bardsley who did well against Celtic). I don't think that he did not do some homework , it is very uncharacteristic of him. Instead I think he simply made some misjudgements.

A manager of his calibre will always bounce back from misjudgements. Initially he preferred to play the French keeper despite the Scottish young keeprer's good form, however he changed his mind later. He outlawed takling in training. He stripped Ferguson (who defies his intructions) off his captaincy. Le Guen, to me, simply does not seem like someone manages at his whim.

When results are bad everything looks bad. Many Manchester United fans wanted Ferguson to be fired when he achieved little in his first few years (and selling many star players). During Benitez's first year in Liverpool, he was repeatedly ridiculed for his zonal defense. At time being Fabio Capello's Real Madrid are dour and dreadful. Rijkaard's Barcelona were pooor in the first year. Kenny Dalglish was sacked after just 1 full season in Newcastle. Bobby Robson's Newcastle did nothing in first 2 years. The list go on and on. Even successful managers of the biggest names have barren spells. And the clubs will only benefit maximumly when due patience is afforded to them.

Luckily Martin Edwards and Rick Parry stick with Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho. And I maintain the stand that Rangers will come to regret to part with Pau Le Guen. Come on Bhoys!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NSMagpie

It is ridiculous that Paul Le Guen is forced to go after 23 games only. Not even a full season. And where do Rangers stand at the moment? 2nd behind Celtic. It is only Le Guen's first year for goodness sake. Where else do you find managers of Le Guen calibre and track record? 3 years Ligue 1 champion, do you think it is a fluke? Consistent good performance in Champions League, is that another fluke? UEFA Cup 2nd stage despite paper think squad, another fluke? When I hear that the likes of Butcher or Souness should succeed Le Guen, I can only laugh.

Rangers will come to regret forcking Le Guen away. Benitez's Liverpool were poor in premiership in the first year, but is Liverpool regretting the appointment of Benitez? The ideas of Le Guen not understanding the club history, passions etc are ludicrous. Would you say the same to Benitez?

I would have Le Guen over Roeder anyday.

Ditto.

Guest NSMagpie

Oh aye. He had ample time to sort himself out and prepare for it.

McLiesh was sacked (or told it was his last season) at the start of February, about a week after we sacked Souness, and within the end of the month PLG was officially going to be the new manager, it might have actually only been a week or so after.

Either way he had 6 months before the start of the season, he could of researched the whole league ten years back by then, and it still wouldn't of effected his time.

Perhaps that time should have been spent wiser. Just watching from certain distance, even with all the information about the club is not the same as actually coaching and making decisions.

Rangers could have appointed him 6 months earlier, instead of keeping McLiesh when everyone knew he was on his way out. That interim period before the new season started, without pressure on Le Guen, would have beeen a good period of adapting to a new league, players etc.