Paul Le Guen Leaves

Guest nufc1984

Guest Armchair Pundit

Souness for Rangers sounds likely, ony reason he didn't get it before was because he was a greedy shite and wanted the money from being sacked plus Rangers didn't want to have to pay for him. Bit surprised PLG didn't do better, but then I guess he's only got pedigree in his own country hasn't he? Like the Stephane Guivach of the manager world  :lol:

Le Guen didn't realise what he was taking on at Rangers.  Old firm fans expectations are unbelievably high - you've got to win almost every game to avoid being under pressure.  Results have been poor domestically but I really don't understand the fans taking Ferguson's side - he's the most overrated player in Scotland.  He looked a good player in his first spell at Rangers due in no small part to Ronald de Boer carrying much of the creative burden in midfield.  Since he has returned he has been shown up for what he is - a run of the mill, 7 out of 10 player.

It is ridiculous that Paul Le Guen is forced to go after 23 games only. Not even a full season. And where do Rangers stand at the moment? 2nd behind Celtic. It is only Le Guen's first year for goodness sake. Where else do you find managers of Le Guen calibre and track record? 3 years Ligue 1 champion, do you think it is a fluke? Consistent good performance in Champions League, is that another fluke? UEFA Cup 2nd stage despite paper think squad, another fluke? When I hear that the likes of Butcher or Souness should succeed Le Guen, I can only laugh.

Rangers will come to regret forcking Le Guen away. Benitez's Liverpool were poor in premiership in the first year, but is Liverpool regretting the appointment of Benitez? The ideas of Le Guen not understanding the club history, passions etc are ludicrous. Would you say the same to Benitez?

I would have Le Guen over Roeder anyday.

Sounds to me like the whole Ferguson thing has been a way of PLG getting out of the club and his reign which has gone tits-up. Maybe was a good thing he went to Rangers and not Newcastle. Was Lyon his only managment experience before Rangers?

He was at Rennes for a few years before Lyon, and did quite well, signed cheap and nasties and made them in to stars like El Hadji Diouf, then he went to Lyon won 3 leagues in a row, had a while off and fucked off to Rangers.

It was widely reported he delayed his decision on Rangers to see whether the toon would come in, personally his record speaks for itself and is a good manager who was wasted at a mickey mouse outfit like Rangers.  It was always going to take a few years for him to get the side and way he wanted to play right.

Ferguson is a c***, Jimmy Calderwood, Dowie, Burley or Souness will get the job, someone shite anyway.  Billy Davies would be the best they could get.

Given another season he would have made Rangers the dominant force in Scotland without a doubt.

Agree.

If Roeder was to be sacked or resigned in the next week or so (i know it isn't going to happen but just play along) would you be behind a proposed Le Guen appointment as manager?

blueyes.gif blueyes.gif blueyes.gif

No way will Souness be offered the job. Nailed on that this job will go to Terry Butcher.

Walter Smith

Aye. Or him too, although that would be disastrous for the Scotland national team. snoopy.gif Maybe Le Guen could take over there...

No way will Souness be offered the job. Nailed on that this job will go to Terry Butcher.

Walter Smith

I've heard Walter with Ally McCoist

They must have completely missed the mess that Smith made of us when he had to work to a budget. Unless the Rangers chairman has just found £25m down the back of his couch it's a disaster waiting to happen.

yeah, that Smith and McCoist story is doing the rounds. Just read it before on a Liverpool forum an all. Seems a bit of a mad idea like, but you never know, sometimes the daft ideas work :D

I really hope for Souness' sake that he does get offered the job at Rangers.

I never disliked the man Souness, and i suppose i can look back in pity for him now; i like everybody else was spitting blood when he was here. Souness was simply out of his depth with us, or in the Premiership on the whole for that matter. A league of the standard of the SPL or the Championship, which have an equal sort of standard i'd reckon, is certainly more his sort of league. How four, five first English tier teams appointed him i'll never know.

I'd like to see the guy back in management. He was honest and gave his absolute all, he was just shit at the job in this division. I'm sure that he'd do a good job at one of his favourite clubs, if not his very favourite. It's his club in that respect, like Bobby managing us but to a lesser extent.

I dare say he deserves it? Probably not... but i'd simply like to see him do well with a club - because i craved for him to do well with us, even though i hated how shit he was, simply because i liked the man himself.

One thing i don't want to see is Billy Davies go there. 'We' need him... we being Derby: my second team.

I never disliked the man Souness, and i suppose i can look back in pity for him now; i like everybody else was spitting blood when he was here. Souness was simply out of his depth with us, or in the Premiership on the whole for that matter. A league of the standard of the SPL or the Championship, which have an equal sort of standard i'd reckon, is certainly more his sort of league. How four, five first English tier teams appointed him i'll never know.

I'd like to see the guy back in management. He was honest and gave his absolute all, he was just shit at the job in this division. I'm sure that he'd do a good job at one of his favourite clubs, if not his very favourite. It's his club in that respect, like Bobby managing us but to a lesser extent.

I dare say he deserves it? Probably not... but i'd simply like to see him do well with a club - because i craved for him to do well with us, even though i hated how shit he was, simply because i liked the man himself.

One thing i don't want to see is Billy Davies go there. 'We' need him... we being Derby: my second team.

He rebuilt Rangers in the 80's and was the catalyst for their 12 in a row spl wins,so he is adored at Ibrox PLUS he gave them 8 mill£ for Boumsong.

He rebuilt Rangers in the 80's and was the catalyst for their 12 in a row spl wins,so he is adored at Ibrox PLUS he gave them 8 mill£ for Boumsong.

Wasn't hard his job he done there in the 80's to be fair, an absolutely woeful Celtic team combined with the cash he had to spend, especially due to the aftermath of Heysel.

Wasn't hard his job he done there in the 80's to be fair, an absolutely woeful Celtic team combined with the cash he had to spend, especially due to the aftermath of Heysel.

What did Heysel have to do with Rangers?Or Souness,he'd left Liverpool in 84?

Doesn't take away from the fact that he's adored at Rangers and most Rangers fans would probably welcome him back with open arms...

Er... he wouldn't be.  Not sure Murray would do it either.

He's also not an icon up here, many Rangers fans dislike him for the way he handled players here.  Some do love him for what he started, but that amount of money 80s Scotland bought everything, to be honest.  Most fans recognise this, I'd say. 

There'll obviously be a few, but I have to disagree about this icon and adored shit.

What did Heysel have to do with Rangers?Or Souness,he'd left Liverpool in 84?

Because he could entice a lot of good quality English players up to Scotland with the premise of European football.

It is ridiculous that Paul Le Guen is forced to go after 23 games only. Not even a full season. And where do Rangers stand at the moment? 2nd behind Celtic. It is only Le Guen's first year for goodness sake. Where else do you find managers of Le Guen calibre and track record? 3 years Ligue 1 champion, do you think it is a fluke? Consistent good performance in Champions League, is that another fluke? UEFA Cup 2nd stage despite paper think squad, another fluke? When I hear that the likes of Butcher or Souness should succeed Le Guen, I can only laugh.

Rangers will come to regret forcking Le Guen away. Benitez's Liverpool were poor in premiership in the first year, but is Liverpool regretting the appointment of Benitez? The ideas of Le Guen not understanding the club history, passions etc are ludicrous. Would you say the same to Benitez?

They're fortunate to be 2nd, and saying that, 2nd in the SPL is as good as being second bottom, especially if Celtic are top and double especially if they're 17 points or whatever clear.

The board, the press and the fans wouldn't/couldn't allow him a year or two to maybe get it right. Maybe if the players he'd brought in were showing up the ones he'd inherited then maybe he'd have been given more time but it was the other way round.

The Rangers fans here at work are absol-fuking-utely delighted he's gone.

They're fortunate to be 2nd, and saying that, 2nd in the SPL is as good as being second bottom, especially if Celtic are top and double especially if they're 17 points or whatever clear.

The board, the press and the fans wouldn't/couldn't allow him a year or two to maybe get it right. Maybe if the players he'd brought in were showing up the ones he'd inherited then maybe he'd have been given more time but it was the other way round.

Thing is he knew about 6 months before he started the job he would become manager, and clearly he didn't use that time sussing out the Scottish league.

I know its not the best, but you need certain individuals to get you through a season in a league like that, and i dont think he got that part right.

Underestimated the Scottish league? Maybe, maybe not, but he certainly didn't know enough about it.

Thing is he knew about 6 months before he started the job he would become manager, and clearly he didn't use that time sussing out the Scottish league.

I know its not the best, but you need certain individuals to get you through a season in a league like that, and i dont think he got that part right.

Underestimated the Scottish league? Maybe, maybe not, but he certainly didn't know enough about it.

I didn't realise he was pencilled in 6 months before, if thats the case then he's got no excuse for not knowing what to expect or what was expected of him.

*edit* just re-read it again, I should have originally posted '2nd in the SPL for either old firm team is as good as being second bottom.....etc

I didn't realise he was pencilled in 6 months before, if thats the case then he's got no excuse for not knowing what to expect or what was expected of him.

Oh aye. He had ample time to sort himself out and prepare for it.

McLiesh was sacked (or told it was his last season) at the start of February, about a week after we sacked Souness, and within the end of the month PLG was officially going to be the new manager, it might have actually only been a week or so after.

Either way he had 6 months before the start of the season, he could of researched the whole league ten years back by then, and it still wouldn't of effected his time.

Oh aye. He had ample time to sort himself out and prepare for it.

McLiesh was sacked (or told it was his last season) at the start of February, about a week after we sacked Souness, and within the end of the month PLG was officially going to be the new manager, it might have actually only been a week or so after.

Either way he had 6 months before the start of the season, he could of researched the whole league ten years back by then, and it still wouldn't of effected his time.

Oh well, looks like Rangers plan to take them forward has probably now taken back a year or two at least from now, as the new manager will be saddled with a load of players he won't want and probably unable to get shot of in a hurry............sounds vaguely familiar to me!!