Beckham leaving Real Madrid at the end of the season

Leazes1986

I havent even hinted anything about Emre.

I just think Beckham would turn out to be largely disspointing the majority of the time.

Its the same situation with England last year, play SWP's/Lennon or Beckham. Personally I think the former two offer alot more.

We have Milner, Dyer and quite possibly SWP's in the summer if we want him.

And no i dont think im wrong in saying Beckham has gone missing in games, jogging around a pitch where the majority walk in Spain doesnt make him able to handle the premiership again, especially at his age.

He has class but it comes at a cost IMO, not saying I would object to having on the team sheet though.

I think Beckham was made the scapegoat for the England World Cup debacle. Fine, he didn't play well but he had a hand in most of our goals and there were many other factors imo (Owen/Rooney not being fit, persisting with Lampard and Gerrard even though the former was playing shockingly badly). Also when England played 5 in midfield, Beckham wasn't the sort of player who could play wide right as you needed a pacier, more attacking player (Joe Cole wasn't suited to his role in that set-up for the same reason). Beckham possibly shouldn't be starting any more but I agree with those who say he should still be in the squad.

It is an easy thing to do to single Beckham out. For starters he was captain, he is the highest profile in the English game probably in the World game. People seem to ignore that most of the England squad were gash at the WC. Only Ferdinand, Hargreaves and Crouch can hold their heads up high.

Maybe Beckham was never as good as he was hyped but he is definately not as bad as some make out. Don't forget he was a very important part of a very successful Manchester United team.

We have other priorities, but if LB, RB, CB, CF were all sorted out (wishful thinking) and we still had money left then I would be happy to see Becks here.

Bluf's talking out of his arse.

If Beckham's garbage, what's Emre?  Sewage?

Erm, yes?  Yawn.

What a stupid post to be honest, I meant he was garbage in that he wasn't what he was, in that he's overrated by far.  Not that I meant to compare him to footballers with the playing ability of the conference.  Would be nice to see what YOU think of him though, and not what YOU think of other people's opinions.

Whoever said it, I agree, his workrate is his best attribute. 

Like I said over on TT, just because he isn't the player he was doesn't mean he's shit.  He'd walk straight into our team.  There are plenty of players around the world that "aren't what they were".  Doesn't mean I wouldn't have them here though.

Depends what you would rather have, someone that grafts consistently for the team but isnt spectacular.

Or Beckham who will turn it on for a handfull of games, probably win a few for us but be largely dissapointing for the rest of the time.

If he comes back over here he will have a few great games and the pundits will higlight his good points and say "he's still got it"

Not worth it for the wages IMO.

Have you actually seen Beckham live ie not just on the telly??

His workrate and tracking back when not in possession are phenomanal, far better than Emre.

Agree that we should be buying players on the up not on the way down, but the commercial aspects of the deal would pay his wages and still make the club a hefty profit.

I wouldn't dismiss the idea out of hand personally.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he's garbage now.  Whilst money is clearly a factor, him being David Beckham an all that, he's off to the US cause he might actually cut it.  Whereas anywhere else, he's on the decline, and would only stand out in a good team.

Glad the process of realisation has begun though.  Couldn't stand the "obviously should be in the England squad, plays for Madrid, pfft" shite. 

Bluf we agree on many things even on issues when were clearly in the minority (like Hargreaves being a super player even before others jumped onto the bandwagon), but I suspect we'll never agree on Beckham. I can accept that he is overated by some, but you seriously telling me, that the likes of Jenas and Phil Neville is better than him in the England squad. If so, I'm sorry but you're talking bollocks mate.

Beckham might not deserve to be in the first team, but to leave him out of the squad all together was clearly McClaren tryin to flex his 'I'm not Sven' muscles and I don't think I'll ever think otherwise.