Saints receive 10mill Bale Bid

Guest smoggeordie

Ok here is a FACT.

Manchester United and Tottenham both have big squads with lots of quality players, we don't therefore Bale isn't worth £10m as we dont have another decent left back if he fails where as the other 2 clubs mentioned has.

There he isn't worth £10m to us. Evra didnt cost £10m because he is french basically!

I don't know how anyone can argue british players arent overrated! You only have to look at £18m Carrick and £10.5m Alonso, £7-£9m Jenas and £3.8m Emre, £10.9m Martins and Spurs turned down £12m for Defoe from Pompey.

Of course there are exceptions but in general you get players in similar or sometimes better quality abroad for less than you do if you buy them from England.

I've already said exactly the same in a different post. Welcome to an hour ago. ;)

I could go on for hours about why British players cost more: selling to direct rivals, etc. - but you'll never agree, even though it's perfectly logical that they get sold for more cash. Carrick was integral to Spurs, hence the big price - it would have been even more if Carrick hadn't wanted to move so badly.

You've completely missed the point there mate, which is exactly what I have been saying all along in my posts. You cannot compare Martins at £10m to Bale at £10m because there are literally dozens of variables that are involved in any one transfer, some of which I've already pointed out.

It's not as simple as ability = value, it never has been.

It depends on factors such as:

- The player's current role in the team. (Integral player = bigger price, like Carrick... surplus to requirements, like Martins/Emre.)

- The player's international experience. (International caps = bigger price.)

- The relationship between the selling club and the buying club (local rivals/divisional rivals/no relationship.)

- The number of clubs interested in the player. (More clubs = bigger price.)

- The player's own desire to stay or go. (Wants to leave = smaller fee.)

- The financial situation of the clubs involved: does the selling club need the money? (Lower price?)

The list that determines a player's price is endless, that's what I'm getting at. There are always reasons why people get bought for the prices they demand. Some turn out to be worth the money, plenty don't. But at the point when the transfer is made the player is WORTH that amount, it is then up to him to prove his worth or to show he WAS overpriced.

tbh im only concerned about his value to us and at £10m he is vastly overpriced. Don't really care if he isn't over priced for Man U or Spurs although I still don't believe he is worth £10m to anyone as its too much of a gamble at this time.

tbh im only concerned about his value to us and at £10m he is vastly overpriced. Don't really care if he isn't over priced for Man U or Spurs although I still don't believe he is worth £10m to anyone as its too much of a gamble at this time.

I have actually agreed that I wouldn't want us paying £10m for him, while also saying that Tottenham/Man Utd are lucky that they can take the gamble. So we have exactly the same view there.

The only thing that was bugging me was people comparing things on too simplistic a level, I'm just aiming to have a bit of a better debate about things than the norm. Too much free time today!

I have actually agreed that I wouldn't want us paying £10m for him, while also saying that Tottenham/Man Utd are lucky that they can take the gamble. So we have exactly the same view there.

The only thing that was bugging me was people comparing things on too simplistic a level, I'm just aiming to have a bit of a better debate about things than the norm. Too much free time today!

Im at work so have plenty of time to argue and argue over things that we wont agree on :D

So Alex Ferguson doesn't see it as a solid investment? And him bidding £8m wasn't a calculated decision? He just did it for a laugh then, yeah? Hardly.

I agree that transfers are not an exact science, but there is more to it than you say. As for facts, my facts are that Martin Jol bid £6m for Bale and Ferguson bid £8m, these are facts. An unknown club has also bid £10m for him, that is a fact. It's the same thing I base my entire argument upon, yet it seems to have gone completely over your head.

You say he's not worth the money, at least two Premiership managers think he is and one from the Championship agrees. Those are my facts, you have nothing but opinion. Not that you won't turn out to be right, there is, of course, a chance of that. But the odds are certainly in Bale's favour.

The price Bale gets sold for will be his current value, that will also be a fact.

so - because two managers outthere think he is worth 6/8, and ONE manager rates him at 10m then it is fact that he is worth that - please.... as for his own managers opinion - that has nothing to do with his real value...

you say your entire argument is based on the fact that his market value is what someone is willing to bid - i just don't agree (i know you think it has gone over my head, but it hasn't, i just think it is a poor argument).

not all transfers end up at "market prices/current value" or whatever you want to call them - many end up being sold at way too high prices. Same with houses, companies, cars etc. really.

Believing blindly in market forces is too narrowminded, especially when it comes to a market with so few buyers and sellers. I do agree that quality/price and supply/demand do play a significant part - but this is not a perfect market!

i agree with gejon - i don't see how this lad is worth 10m to anyone! thereby i am not saying he wont be a decent player, but this is an overpriced player if i ever saw one!

Ok here is a FACT.

Manchester United and Tottenham both have big squads with lots of quality players, we don't therefore Bale isn't worth £10m as we dont have another decent left back if he fails where as the other 2 clubs mentioned has.

There he isn't worth £10m to us. Evra didnt cost £10m because he is french basically!

I don't know how anyone can argue british players arent overrated! You only have to look at £18m Carrick and £10.5m Alonso, £7-£9m Jenas and £3.8m Emre, £10.9m Martins and Spurs turned down £12m for Defoe from Pompey.

Of course there are exceptions but in general you get players in similar or sometimes better quality abroad for less than you do if you buy them from England.

I've already said exactly the same in a different post. Welcome to an hour ago. ;)

I could go on for hours about why British players cost more: selling to direct rivals, etc. - but you'll never agree, even though it's perfectly logical that they get sold for more cash. Carrick was integral to Spurs, hence the big price - it would have been even more if Carrick hadn't wanted to move so badly.

You've completely missed the point there mate, which is exactly what I have been saying all along in my posts. You cannot compare Martins at £10m to Bale at £10m because there are literally dozens of variables that are involved in any one transfer, some of which I've already pointed out.

It's not as simple as ability = value, it never has been.

It depends on factors such as:

- The player's current role in the team. (Integral player = bigger price, like Carrick... surplus to requirements, like Martins/Emre.)

- The player's international experience. (International caps = bigger price.)

- The relationship between the selling club and the buying club (local rivals/divisional rivals/no relationship.)

- The number of clubs interested in the player. (More clubs = bigger price.)

- The player's own desire to stay or go. (Wants to leave = smaller fee.)

- The financial situation of the clubs involved: does the selling club need the money? (Lower price?)

The list that determines a player's price is endless, that's what I'm getting at. There are always reasons why people get bought for the prices they demand. Some turn out to be worth the money, plenty don't. But at the point when the transfer is made the player is WORTH that amount, it is then up to him to prove his worth or to show he WAS overpriced.

Good post and I couldn't agree more. Some will find it all a bit too complicated though. You make an offer and you get the player, that's all there is to it really. ;) If you don't get the player it's because Fred is fat.

I had a feeling what I was posting was HTL-ish when I was writing it, funnily enough I knew you'd agree with me.

Shame you weren't about when the debate was "raging".

yeah - what a shame  ;D