Oba: Newcastle is Cool

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Another class Martins quote

.cock

OBA Martins is loving life on Tyneside and has told Newcastle United fans that the best of him is yet to come.

The Nigerian international made his Magpies debut against Aston Villa in August, but he goes into Wednesday's clash against the Midlanders keen to forget that experience.

United were beaten 2-0 at Villa Park and Martins was stretchered from the field with what turned out to be a severe dead leg.

Oba told nufc.co.uk: "I remember getting injured so I don't want to think about that game because it wasn't a good day for Newcastle and I didn't play that well.

"I want to put that to the back of my mind and think about the next game with Aston Villa. It is important we get three points and climb the table."

United's no.9 has since found the back of the net 10 times for the black and whites and believes he has come a long way since his Toon bow.

The former Inter Milan man added: "I have improved a lot since then and I am more relaxed now.

"I am not totally used to the English game yet but I'm only 22 and I believe I will get better and better.

"I have not found the pace of the Premiership a problem but the physical side of the game is different."

And Oba is the first to admit that his Gallowgate career didn't start exactly how he would have liked.

"I didn't have the best of starts for Newcastle, but recently I have been playing well and I'm pleased with how things are going.

"I have scored 10 but I don't have a target and if I keep working hard goals will come.

"I would certainly say to the Newcastle fans that the best of me is yet to come."

The 22-year-old is getting used to life on Tyneside and is looking forward to the arrival of his family next week.

Oba said: "Newcastle is a cool place and I'm enjoying living here. I live on the Quayside and I love the view of the River Tyne and the bridges.

"My brothers and my sisters and my mum are coming over next week and they will help me to settle."

Guest TheDutchman

Oba is great! Nice guy. Big Talent. I also think the best is still to come. He seems loyal too.

Living on the Quayside is dangerous imo. Al the nightlife and stuff..., Great place though O0

Oba is great! Nice guy. Big Talent. I also think the best is still to come. He seems loyal too.

Living on the Quayside is dangerous imo. Al the nightlife and stuff..., Great place though O0

He's always doing Flynns, Buffaloes and Boat after a match like! O0

The Boat?   :lol:

Must be quite different from the classier clubs he was used to in Milan to say the least

Guest TheDutchman

Must be quite different from the classier clubs he was used to in Milan to say the least

You think Hoon is serious? I thought the boat is a place to be for 16 year old charvs. Or is the average age of the public older? In what places you have the chance to meet first team players?

You think Hoon is serious? I thought the boat is a place to be for 16 year old charvs. Or is the average age of the public older? In what places you have the chance to meet first team players?

That comment was seriously tongue in cheek mate, most of the lads will go to the fancy dan places where i do not frequent (full of nobs) altho i did see Shola in Munchies (near the Goose)

In what places you have the chance to meet first team players?

I once saw Babayaro and Jenas in the former Julie's 2, now called Blue. We ended up there in our pursuit after something lively on a Sunday night. I we would have known that we'd be about the only white males inside that club we might have considered not going in there  ;D.

:undecided:

Not happy about him living on the Quayside. I remember when SBR came in he made Dyer move away from there - a wise move IMO. At 22 years old living in the Quayside is poison.

I would much rather he moved next door to Nobby in Jesmond - although anywhere not near clubs would be nice.

Guest TheDutchman

Nobby doesnt live in Jesmond, he lives right next to the training ground more or less.

Where s the training ground exactly?

Nobby doesnt live in Jesmond, he lives right next to the training ground more or less.

Where s the training ground exactly?

Benton, near coach lane. One of me mates lives next door to him.

You sure about this mate? He definately lived there in his first stay at the club as his family all used to come to my church in Benton when they were over here. This hasn't happened since he came back from Villa, and the priest said he'd moved to a more up-market area.

Champions have been after Oba

Jan 28 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Glenn Roeder has again warned off clubs eyeing Obafemi Martins - and hinted that Chelsea have failed in a cheeky swap bid for the striker.

Newcastle manager Roeder last night revealed the depth of his frustration at failing to land his top targets during January.

But he insists Martins' impact this season is vindication of his ultra-selective transfer policy.

And the United boss revealed how his commitment to building a talented young squad meant he missed out on one of those targets this month . . .

After the player's club - apparently Chelsea - demanded one of Roeder's stars, believed to be Martins, in exchange.

"You couldn't buy Oba for £10 million now. I wouldn't even take the phone call," said Roeder, who has admitted an interest in Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips.

"There have been rumblings about Chelsea, but it's impossible. I am building a squad.

"I enquired about one player, and they said `we'll let you have him, but we want that player'. But one in, one out isn't any good to us.

"So I had to say `no, the player I want has to stay where he is, because you're not having the player from here that you want'."

Martins' largely impressive recent form has subdued those who believed Newcastle paid over the odds for him last summer.

And Roeder admitted: "Look at some of the other players who haven't settled as well in the Premiership as yet - like Shevchenko and Ballack.

"These are world-class footballers who haven't done as well as Oba, so I feel vindicated.

"Anything he does this season is a bonus anyway, because next season he will really take off."