Lynch mob preparing the noose for Freddie Shepherd?

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest Brazilianbob

If we had no money then Glenn should've made signings like Campbell on a free at the start of the season.

But that is more like taking one step forward and two back when you are trying to build a young squad that will challenge for honours.  It is a short term fix that sets you back in the long term.

Contrary to what some of you think, Roeder is not to blame for the lack of signings.  It is the remit of the club chairman to negotiate for and to sign players, not the manager, and with FS having failed yet again, to bring in any reinforcements in the transfer window, if our defense happens to fall apart again after the transfer window slams shut, I predict a lynch mob will be itching to get their hands on our fat chairman outside SJP.

Is this incitement? No just an opinion!

It's bollocks, tbh. In actual fact. it's up there with the most stupid posts I've ever read.

Explain why! In small syllables please as I am obviously too stupid to understand joined up words.

Explain why Fred has failed.

By appointing a bad manager in Souness, then compounding his own arrogance by throwing £50m at a bad manager.  We are reaping the rewards of that arrogance now by scrapping around for loan players because we cannot afford to compete with the "big clubs".

:2funny:

So it's arrogant to back your manager? Good one.

We are paying the price for the likes of marcelhino, cort, bassedas, luque, viana, boumsong.............not a world class player like Owen.

Yeah, because hes done a huge amount in keeping our necks above water.

Yeah thats right Owen delibrately injured himself FFS. I agree the amount spent on the aforementioned is ridiculous. A fit owen will provide more than the others put together 10 mill for Luque, 8 for Viana, 8 for Boumsong, 7 for Cort. Apart from chelsea has any club in history wasted as much money as us on utter shite. The mind absolutely fucking boggles

Aye, I agree.

My mind boggles that mindless fuckers blame the Board for spending this money on Owen, he's a top player signed to replace a top player, which is what you do if you have ambition. The Board has backed successive managers in this way and the managers haven't got it right, through a mixture of bad luck and incompetence in the case of shithead. I really can't see what else the Board can do other than back the manager to the limit and they've done that.

The manager is the single most important person in the football club imo and it is very, very difficult to get the right man.

Overdraft limit?

What's an overdraft?

An overdraft is when withdrawals from a bank account exceed the available balance. This gives the account a negative balance and means the account provider is offering credit.

What did you think of Risdale at Leeds HTL? He backed his manager with funds to sign top players, really ambitious he was.

I thought then and I still think now that O'Leary was a shite manager because he was signing the wrong players. Had O'Leary signed the right players Leeds wouldn't be where they are now.

We are paying the price for the likes of marcelhino, cort, bassedas, luque, viana, boumsong.............not a world class player like Owen.

Yeah thats right Owen delibrately injured himself FFS. I agree the amount spent on the aforementioned is ridiculous. A fit owen will provide more than the others put together 10 mill for Luque, 8 for Viana, 8 for Boumsong, 7 for Cort. Apart from chelsea has any club in history wasted as much money as us on utter shite. The mind absolutely fucking boggles

Aye, I agree.

My mind boggles that mindless fuckers blame the Board for spending this money on Owen, he's a top player signed to replace a top player, which is what you do if you have ambition. The Board has backed successive managers in this way and the managers haven't got it right, through a mixture of bad luck and incompetence in the case of shithead. I really can't see what else the Board can do other than back the manager to the limit and they've done that.

The manager is the single most important person in the football club imo and it is very, very difficult to get the right man.

Kind of agree, kind of don't, where Owen is concerned 100% with you. We paid for and got one of the most clinical finishers in the worldwide game, our fucking luck he got injured. It blows my mind how much we've given to our managers also how much they have spunked out the window on shit. Wether they are to blame or the scouting system they have in place is to blame god knows, but something somewhere goes tits up because we've paid an awful lot of big money for absolute shite.

On the subject of the board, creedence for the cash they provided for transfers, but FFS learn how to appoint a manager. It's great loosening the purse strings but some of the numbnuts they given cash too!!!! They might as well told wor lass to have a good time down the metro centre. Souness was a huge huge mistake, Freddies mistake. Someone at our club needs to do something and soon, personally I think there's a rabbit off and i wish they would just come clean. All I hear is shite from the board down to the twat at the chronicle, all must apportion some of the blame.

Bottom line is, at the moment its us the supporters who are suffering and some fucking thing needs to be done.

P:S. Ozzie mandias or whatever the fuck you are called. It appears that you only want to post if you can wind up folk you appear to have a vendetta with, it's boring and predictable. If you have something constructive to add do it. If not shut the fuck up.

Aye, 'm mind boggled as well at the amount of money that has been wasted but there's no doubt that the waste is down to the managers.

The topic of appointinig the right man has been discussed loads of times and it goes around in circles but here is my take on it again, mate.

There are  people who think it's really easy to appoint the right man, but in reality it isn't easy. The same Board that appointed Benitez appointed two managers at the same time. Manure went years without winning the league until they finally appointed the right man. Arsenal appoinited Rioch and other failures by their standards before appointing Wenger. All any Board can do is appoint someone they think is the right man and then back him, if they don't back their man he has no chance at all.

We've had good managers in the past, for example Cox and a few others, but the Board didn't back them to build a team. This is more frustrating than what we're seeing now imo. What I want from a Board is for them to back the manager as best they can, it's then upto the manager to stand or fall by his decisions. The Board also has to recognise when it's time to give a manager the bullet. They got that wrong with both Robson and Souness imo.

Even Robson, who did a great job overall sent out weakened teams in a competition that we could have won. Souness, who is the worst manager I've ever seen at the club, could have taken us to a win in the Uefa Cup had he not put his ego ahead of the club. We need that win to take the pressure off the club. The Board can't interfere with these decisions by the manager, they have to back their man or sack him. I think there would have been uproar had they sacked Souness after just a couple of months but that would have been the correct decision and I'd have been happily arguing with certain individuals on here who no doubt would be telling everybody souness should have been given a chance to build his own team. Having not sacked him they had to back him, although I did say in the December that I didn't want Souness to given any transfer funds during the January window. I didn't want them to back him, at that time I really wished the Board was shit.

On track record and CV the current Board has appointed decent managers who brought with them a reasonable hope for success, Dalglish, Gullit, Robson were appointed and backed pretty well by the Board. Even Souness had a track record that is comparable to that of O'Neill right now. I don't see how else a manager can be selected.

There is still no guarantee of success no matter who it is. What is guaranteed by the current Board though is that they will appoint a manager and then give the person a decent chance, which is more than we've had for most of my life and I think is all that can realistically be expected/hoped from any Board.

Guest Brazilianbob

Contrary to what some of you think, Roeder is not to blame for the lack of signings.  It is the remit of the club chairman to negotiate for and to sign players, not the manager, and with FS having failed yet again, to bring in any reinforcements in the transfer window, if our defense happens to fall apart again after the transfer window slams shut, I predict a lynch mob will be itching to get their hands on our fat chairman outside SJP.

It's bollocks, tbh. In actual fact. it's up there with the most stupid posts I've ever read.

Explain why! In small syllables please as I am obviously too stupid to understand joined up words.

By appointing a bad manager in Souness, then compounding his own arrogance by throwing £50m at a bad manager.  We are reaping the rewards of that arrogance now by scrapping around for loan players because we cannot afford to compete with the "big clubs".

You aren't much on constructive discussion are you!

However, I will say that everyone but Shepherd (and perhaps you) knew the appointment was wrong, but rather than admit he was wrong, Shepherd tried to vindicate the appointment by giving Souness the sort of money that may well have won us the title if he had given the same backing to Robson.

Ergo, Shepherd was arrogant in the extreme to believe that giving a huge wedge of transfer money to a bad manager would somehow make his appointment a success.  I assume you think a chairman who throws money around like confetti is a good chairman.  There again you probably thought Ridsdale was a good chairman!

You aren't much on constructive discussion are you!

However, I will say that everyone but Shepherd (and perhaps you) knew the appointment was wrong, but rather than admit he was wrong, Shepherd tried to vindicate the appointment by giving Souness the sort of money that may well have won us the title if he had given the same backing to Robson.

Ergo, Shepherd was arrogant in the extreme to believe that giving a huge wedge of transfer money to a bad manager would somehow make his appointment a success.  I assume you think a chairman who throws money around like confetti is a good chairman.  There again you probably thought Ridsdale was a good chairman!

:coolsmiley:

In actual fact I was slated on here for suggesting that Souness be sacked after the Charlton match, which was never really going to happen. I then went on to say I hoped he wouldn't be supported in the transfer market during January and I was slaughtered for that as well, there are dozens of people on this forum who supported Souness and his spending spree who now claim the opposite.  You couldn't make it up.

BTW You show how out of touch you are by the comment that we may have won the title had that money been given to Robson. Robson received an enormous amount of backing during his time as manager, he can have no complaints. At the back end of the season we finished 3rd standards on the field were dropping. During the season we finished 5th people moaned constantly at the drop in performances, we picked up points while really not playing consistently well, which was great but everybody was waiting for the team to start playing well, it didn't really happen. The evidence was plain to see that Robson had lost the respect of the players. There was no point in handing him that kind of cash, he'd had his crack at it and taken us as far as he could imo. He should have gone sooner, but in any event the problem was the poor quality of his replacement. Everything people moan about right now can be traced back to the appointment of Souness.

If we had no money then Glenn should've made signings like Campbell on a free at the start of the season.

But that is more like taking one step forward and two back when you are trying to build a young squad that will challenge for honours.  It is a short term fix that sets you back in the long term.

Roeder isn't trying to build a young squad. He's incapable of building anything, and he knows it.

P:S. Ozzie mandias or whatever the fuck you are called. It appears that you only want to post if you can wind up folk you appear to have a vendetta with, it's boring and predictable. If you have something constructive to add do it. If not shut the fuck up.

I'll post whatever I damn well please.

But hey,  thanks for caring!  :smitten:

Yeah thats right Owen delibrately injured himself FFS. I agree the amount spent on the aforementioned is ridiculous. A fit owen will provide more than the others put together 10 mill for Luque, 8 for Viana, 8 for Boumsong, 7 for Cort.

Who said hes deliberately injuring himself?

Fact is that Owen's injuries has cost us big time during the past 2 seasons. Had we signed 3 decent to good players for that amount (5mill, 5mill, 7mill for example), wed have been so much better off. We basically sacrificed the squad to sign him, and were currently paying the price for it, with academy kids and players who shouldnt be at near the first team (eg Shearer last season, Sibierski) getting games regularly.

Yeah thats right Owen delibrately injured himself FFS. I agree the amount spent on the aforementioned is ridiculous. A fit owen will provide more than the others put together 10 mill for Luque, 8 for Viana, 8 for Boumsong, 7 for Cort.

Fact is that Owen's injuries has cost us big time during the past 2 seasons. Had we signed 3 decent to good players for that amount (5mill, 5mill, 7mill for example), wed have been so much better off. We basically sacrificed the squad to sign him, and were currently paying the price for it, with academy kids and players who shouldnt be at near the first team (eg Shearer last season, Sibierski) getting games regularly.

Do you think we did the right thing when we signed Shearer?

Do you think we did the right thing when we signed Shearer?

No. We had Ferdinand, Beardo, Asprilla, and Kitson as backup (and Darren Huckerby as well iirc).

The money shouldve been spent on bringing top defenders in, thats all that was needed to win us titles and our only weakness. Ive heard alot of rubbish about how we bought Shearer to build around him for the future, how signing him was the first step to us hauling in the trophies later on - its rubbish because we had the chance to do all that, but only if we didnt blow our entire budget on one forward at a time when we had 3 top class ones and good backup forwards, whilst having a lower mid table defence at best.

If Shearer wasnt a Geordie, if he wasnt English, we wouldnt have made that signing at such a big cost (remember that Dalglish had no money the following season, and had to sell to buy, tearing the squad apart). So why did we? Oh yeah, because hes Geordie and England's best goalscorer.

10 years later, we still make the same mistake. "Squad? Who needs one when we can use all the money to buy Englands best goalscorer? And you say hes injury prone? Hadaway n shite man, he plays for England. Thats E-N-G-L-A-N-D. Get it?"

spot on. And how many people on here were telling us how world class Luque and Boumsong were at the time .......

FF has wasted money on trophy signings and paid well over the odd for certain players.   Instead that money should've been used wisely to build a team.  It's like a someone winning the lottery and spending it all on a Rolls Royce, rather than buying a house - gotta get the basics right first before you start going to the next level.

Off  topic a little but isn't it a little ironic that Sir Bobby was building a team for the future and bought young.  Then Sourness said he wanted a team of men like in the old Liverpool days (moustaches optional) and now Roeder is back to buying young.  If onlt FF didn't appoint Souness, things would've been very different - for the better, no doubt.

FF builds a team or Bobby Robson ?

Laughingly hypocritical.

Freddie need have no worries.

HTL and Leazes Parrot will save him from the mob.

Perhaps, but my prediction is NE5 for the Freddy saviour.

Different name, same Fat Freddy apologist.

Oh, good to know that.

Don't worry about the mackem, he'll disappear when we win a couple of games.

or when he dishes the dirt on the club to a London journo

Aye, I agree.

Kind of agree, kind of don't, where Owen is concerned 100% with you. We paid for and got one of the most clinical finishers in the worldwide game, our fucking luck he got injured. It blows my mind how much we've given to our managers also how much they have spunked out the window on shit. Wether they are to blame or the scouting system they have in place is to blame god knows, but something somewhere goes tits up because we've paid an awful lot of big money for absolute shite.

On the subject of the board, creedence for the cash they provided for transfers, but FFS learn how to appoint a manager. It's great loosening the purse strings but some of the numbnuts they given cash too!!!! They might as well told wor lass to have a good time down the metro centre. Souness was a huge huge mistake, Freddies mistake. Someone at our club needs to do something and soon, personally I think there's a rabbit off and i wish they would just come clean. All I hear is shite from the board down to the twat at the chronicle, all must apportion some of the blame.

Bottom line is, at the moment its us the supporters who are suffering and some fucking thing needs to be done.

spot on mick, mandiarse serves no other purpose other than dishing the dirt on the club to London journos, better to ignore him as he has absolutely nothing to say anyway .........  ;D ;D

spot on. And how many people on here were telling us how world class Luque and Boumsong were at the time .......

So you can use hindsight to judge moves for Luque, Boumsong etc but not for Michael Owen?

Oh, good to know that.

Squawk!

So you can use hindsight to judge moves for Luque, Boumsong etc but not for Michael Owen?

hindsight ? Who's using hindsight ? Whos talking about Owen ? Replacing a world class goalscorer with another world class goalscorer a bad thing ? I think not. On the other hand, if we had a shite board we could have replaced Shearer with someone like Jon Stead, like other clubs with shite boards do. I take it you would prefer that to these "trophy" players  ;D

Oh, good to know that.

Squawk!

as Micktoon said, you serve no purpose. Are you still backing your man Souness in his rebuilding job ?

hindsight ? Who's using hindsight ? Whos talking about Owen ? Replacing a world class goalscorer with another world class goalscorer a bad thing ? I think not. On the other hand, if we had a shite board we could have replaced Shearer with someone like Jon Stead, like other clubs with shite boards do. I take it you would prefer that to these "trophy" players  ;D

I would of preferred replacing him with a striker that actually wanted to come here, someone that we could afford and wouldn't have left the club millions in debt with no way of paying it back, a striker that hasn't had a history of being injured either.

as Micktoon said, you serve no purpose. Are you still backing your man Souness in his rebuilding job ?

You're asking that question to the wrong person, he didn't appoint him or give him around £50 million to spend. :idiot2:

I would of preferred replacing him with a striker that actually wanted to come here, someone that we could afford and wouldn't have left the club millions in debt with no way of paying it back, a striker that hasn't had a history of being injured either.

hindsight ?

hindsight ?

Which bit?

hindsight ?

Which bit?

All of it. You should have told us he would be injured at the World Cup. I also agree with the view that quality is quality, and if a player performs then he largely isn't a waste of money, sometimes you have to pay the money to get the top player. The real waste of money is money spent on players who don't perform ie Luque and Boumsong combined cost the same as Owen. Which is the waste ?