Most disappointing toon player

Liam Liam Liam O

Guest Knightrider

Bear with me here: Alan Shearer. One of the top five players in the world when he arrived here and was injured and only about 75% of the player he was after that. I feel gutted and cheated we only saw one season of him at the Toon when he was at the peak of his powers.

Yeah, I can go with that or can see where you're coming from. Damn shame and certainly a regret, mind it was a pleasure seeing him adapt his game so much to still be able to put in top-class performances and score lots of goals, the true mark of a top player in my opinion... and a manager as SBR can be credited for helping him.

Bear with me here: Alan Shearer. One of the top five players in the world when he arrived here and was injured and only about 75% of the player he was after that. I feel gutted and cheated we only saw one season of him at the Toon when he was at the peak of his powers.

Yeah, I can go with that or can see where you're coming from. Damn shame and certainly a regret, mind it was a pleasure seeing him adapt his game so much to still be able to put in top-class performances and score lots of goals, the true mark of a top player in my opinion... and a manager as SBR can be credited for helping him.

Aye and to clarify, it wasn't a criticism of him btw. More "what might have been..."

Any notice since that injury Shearer never seemed to take those free-kicks like he did versus Wimbledon when he scored his first goal for us?

Aye, all blasters (with a little touch from Nobby) from then on. Definitely seemed to lose the ability to take those type of kicks.

Against Arsenal last game of the 99/00 season I think, Manninger in goal.

Shearer's best every free kick for us.

That goal was simply awesome. One of my favourite Shearer ones that no one ever gives a mention to was the one away at Chelsea in his first season here, absolutely world class.

Guest Knightrider

Any notice since that injury Shearer never seemed to take those free-kicks like he did versus Wimbledon when he scored his first goal for us?

To be fair, he had a few ways of scoring from free-kicks although the head down, blast, goal! way was his most regular way. After his injury the impact on his game was quite evident though, he lost that lithe like movement, the bit (deceiving) pace he had left after his first injury and the ability to drop the shoulder to beat a man or send in a great cross. Watch his performance in the 5-0 win over Man Utd, he was on the right, left, dropped deep, lead the line and was every inch the all-rounder. After his injury he often played with his back to goal and played predominantly centrally and rarely tried to take on his man. In later years he become more of a penalty box striker and in his final 2, he was well and truly running on empty and basically sacrificed his body for goals, he was just a battering ram which was a shame to see, but again, showed the man's adapting skills which in itself is a skill many can't get around, take Fowler for example.

Guest Knightrider

That goal was simply awesome. One of my favourite Shearer ones that no one ever gives a mention to was the one away at Chelsea in his first season here, absolutely world class.

Is that the one where he lost the ball inside the box, got it back, made himself an angle despite being chased by blue shirts and walloped it into the net from just inside the box? Anyway that goal was Shearer all over, determination and hell bent on scoring, as well as showing a great deal of strength and poise.

Easily Kluivert for me. A lot of the players listed played below their potential- but Kluivert was clearly still capable of doing the business. However he couldn't be arsed, cleared out every Greggs in town and lost his place. A total waste.

his goal record was very good though and his partnership with Bellamy was good. To be controversial he shouldn't have been automatically dropped when Shearer came back from the 1 or 2 injuries he had as he was playing well early on.

Yes, a couple pies too many perhaps though:D

To be fair, i think Bellamy and Kluivert only played together a couple of times. Palace away stands out. Usually it was Shearer with one of Pievert or Bellamy.

i liked the one from a offside position but from a throw in.he dident have the speed but somehow found it..or when he hounded the goalkeeper for the six second rule...got the free kick and scored....he knows more rules than all the refs and linesmen

Is that the one where he lost the ball inside the box, got it back, made himself an angle despite being chased by blue shirts and walloped it into the net from just inside the box? Anyway that goal was Shearer all over, determination and hell bent on scoring, as well as showing a great deal of strength and poise.

Best thing about that goal was the Chelsea fans cheering when it looked like he'd been dispossessed, only for him to score anyway. Fuck-off-tastic.

have to agree with that, try an repeat it every time i play on the ps2

Pistone is up there for me. Italian Under 21 Captain, played for Inter and a big investment from us at the time at £4.5m. I thought he was going to be the answer to our left sided problems for years. He wasn't.

Never once saw how he could have represented Italy or how he was ever worth that kind of money and salary.

I guess, like Viana, we were paying for his potential.

When I look back at Viana's time at the club though I reckon he was blighted a bit by Speeds endurance which made him undroppable in Viana's first season. After that, he never looked 'up' for the battle in the premiership and to be fair, he hasn't really shone elsewhere BUT there were glimpses of his quality (i.e: That through ball for Bernard at St James' against Chelsea IIRC).

There was never a glimpse from Pistone though.

Maybe not the most disappointing due to their price but Fumaca and Disco Des must be the one of the most peculiar ones.

EDIT : May i add Guivarch to the list of uninspiring transfers. Top scorer in france and world cup winner when he joined. Did f* all while he was here. At least we manage to flog him for a decent fee.

My disappointing players are

Babayaro,  Tomasson, Saha,  Marcelinho  and Luque 

Eh? How could you be that DISAPPOINTED with Saha? He was a loan player, probably on a few grand a week. He hardly came with a massive reputation or anything.

Don't get that TBH