Back To The Future?

Mick

It doesn't matter what you think of who is to blame for our current situation, if you could go back in time to make sure we didn't end up where we are now, when would you go back to and what would you do?

I'd go back the the time Keegan left the club, I'd contact Bobby Robson and ask him to come to Newcastle when his contract with Barcelona expired, I'd ask Keegan to stay on until that time, if he said no I'd appoint a caretaker, problem solved.

Not sacked Sir Bobby.

Bobby was in the middle of developing a team. It was a team that, under a great manager like Bobby Robson, would have gone on and won things in the next two or three years. He brought in some good younger players that were quickly turning into superb superb senior players. I'm talking about the likes of Ambrose, Milner, Bellamy, Robert, Jenas, N'Zogbia; those sort of players. These were the ones who had shown promising signs under Bobby (obviously not Milner and Zoggy at this point), and were going to develop into cracking players.

Unfortunately, Souness was brought in and he crucified all of that. Ambrose and Milner went through a period of never playing, and it was just daft.

Bobby was nurturing them and progressing them, and as a whole, the team was progreessing. We got knocked out of the UEFA Cup in the semi-final and didn't finish fourth. We were never going to do either of those things and it would be unfair to think so, because our squad didn't have the required experience. You have to remember that our triumphs of the Champions League progress and finishing third came with the help of an experienced (mobile) Shearer, Rob Lee, Gary Speed, etc.

We didn't really have that balance Bobby's last full season - it was a very young squad that wasn't going to win a trophy at that point. But after a couple more years under Bobby's guidance, and say that it probably would have done.

Sir Bob was stopped in his tracks and it was disgraceful. On the other hand, the disgraceful thing arguably wasn't Robson's sacking, but Souness' appointment. Had we have appointed a Benitez or a Hitzfeld at that point, we might have got by, but i still say we should have kept Bobby.

Not sacked Sir Bobby.

Bobby was in the middle of developing a team. It was a team that, under a great manager like Bobby Robson, would have gone on and won things in the next two or three years. He brought in some good younger players that were quickly turning into superb superb senior players. I'm talking about the likes of Ambrose, Milner, Bellamy, Robert, Jenas, N'Zogbia; those sort of players. These were the ones who had shown promising signs under Bobby (obviously not Milner and Zoggy at this point), and were going to develop into cracking players.

Unfortunately, Souness was brought in and he crucified all of that. Ambrose and Milner went through a period of never playing, and it was just daft.

Bobby was nurturing them and progressing them, and as a whole, the team was progreessing. We got knocked out of the UEFA Cup in the semi-final and didn't finish fourth. We were never going to do either of those things and it would be unfair to think so, because our squad didn't have the required experience. You have to remember that our triumphs of the Champions League progress and finishing third came with the help of an experienced (mobile) Shearer, Rob Lee, Gary Speed, etc.

We didn't really have that balance Bobby's last full season - it was a very young squad that wasn't going to win a trophy at that point. But after a couple more years under Bobby's guidance, and say that it probably would have done.

Sir Bob was stopped in his tracks and it was disgraceful. On the other hand, the disgraceful thing arguably wasn't Robson's sacking, but Souness' appointment. Had we have appointed a Benitez or a Hitzfeld at that point, we might have got by, but i still say we should have kept Bobby.

Agree 100% there Yorkie

Guest DazzaNufc1892

instead of gullit, bring in robson, because for me, dalglish had built the hell of a basis for a top class team.

we had given, solano, hamman, tomasson, and a few others sprinkled around them, which with bobbys guidance could have given us a spring board. The money was just starting to be available, and im in no doubt bob would have brought dyer in along with a few other players, at a time when only a season prior, we had been in the champions league, this for me was the turning point, because i believe gullit is the reason that the cancer known as shearer was allowed to grow and spread.

I'd change it so we'd have beaten Partizan. That was the beginning of the end for Robson.

Agree with some of Yorkie's sentiments, but in that last season under SBR we were fucking shit and he should have gone in May like Houllier did, rather than in September. Don't think he was stopped in his tracks, the wheels had come off the track long before.

Not sacked Sir Bobby.

Right on mate, agree with you 150%

Not sacked Sir Bobby.

Spot on their mate. However some of Bobby's transfer dealins were a bit questionable, Selling Nobby for £1.5M, buying Vianna for £8.5M. I also feel we should have keppt Speed however i am sure i read somewhere that wasnt his choice.

I'd change it so we'd have beaten Partizan. That was the beginning of the end for Robson.

Agree with some of Yorkie's sentiments, but in that last season under SBR we were fucking shit and he should have gone in May like Houllier did, rather than in September. Don't think he was stopped in his tracks, the wheels had come off the track long before.

Agreed, from Christmas onwards 4th was there for the taking - we were rank.

Lost three games from Christmas onwards.

We weren't rank - Liverpool were too good.

Liverpool were just as shit as we were though. We might have only lost 8, but we drew 17 and a lot of those draws came against shit teams, so the draw might aswell have been a defeat. Look at Man Utd/Chelsea now, a draw is no better than a defeat really.

Guest smoggeordie

TBF, 2 away wins all season suggests otherwise.

We only came 5th because the league was shit that season.