It wasn't pretty, but from a team perspective it was a 'corner turner'.

sicsfingeredmong

Great observation, in keeping with your usual standard if I may say so mate .......

Can't believe that people booed someone who didn't want to leave the club, must be right idiots. What sort of reception would the Scottish fuckpig get ? Logic says the same people would cheer him and shake his hand if they met him .....

Martins is settling down well now. He still blows hot and cold for me, but his attitude is great and with a quality partner can only get better.

And booing somebody who still gave 100% effort out on the pitch despite being 'targeted for removal', and reportedly belittled in front of the entire 1st team squad by egomaniac in charge. Bellamy's performance level at the time, even when played out of position, imo overshadowed Shearer's showings and the subsequent body language & effort displayed out on the pitch during the final months of Gullit's tenureship. Both players', at their respective troubled periods at the club, days were numbered - ie. if both managers had their way - under two managers who had absolutely no confidence in the players in question whether it be for footballing or non-footballing reasons. So by comparing both Bellamy and Shearer's respective levels of effort & commitment during the aforementioned periods there's alot to be said in favour Bellamy's intestinal fortitude when faced with the environment of being targetted by an incumbent manger in charge. I know many supporters will obviously will take issue this point just because Bellamy and Shearer have mentioned in the same breath of air - as a point of comparison that is.

On to another comparison, that being Bellamy's reception on the weekend & Owen's at Anfield last year. Owen, with the aid of his agent - by constantly stalling contract talks & essentially playing Houllier and the Liverpool for fools for about 18 months, engineered his way out of Anfield so his reception was to be expected. Many Liverpool supporters think ill of him and understandably so - he was developed & nurtured by the club before taking the piss.

The reception afforded to Bellamy - ie. for a bloke who wanted to stay, contrary to Owen at Liverpool - was sad indeed. The same clowns, and they were probably the same type who were spouting s**** in the manner of "i hope somebody snaps the little Welsh f***ers legs off" in the week leading up to the game. I wonder if they also, and this refers to your point as to whether or not they'd shake the Scottish shitstain's hand, nodded in aknowlegement while shedding tears when Shearer dedicated his record breaking goal to the very same shitstain.

Great observation, in keeping with your usual standard if I may say so mate .......

Can't believe that people booed someone who didn't want to leave the club, must be right idiots. What sort of reception would the Scottish fuckpig get ? Logic says the same people would cheer him and shake his hand if they met him .....

Martins is settling down well now. He still blows hot and cold for me, but his attitude is great and with a quality partner can only get better.

And booing somebody who still gave 100% effort out on the pitch despite being 'targeted for removal', and reportedly belittled in front of the entire 1st team squad by the idiot charge. Bellamy's performance level at the time, even when played out of position, imo overshadowed Shearer's showings and the subsequent body language & effort displayed out on the pitch during the final months of Gullit's tenureship. Both players', at their respective troubled periods at the club, days were numbered - ie. if both managers had their way - under two managers who had absolutely no confidence in the players in question whether it be for footballing or non-footballing reasons. So by comparing both Bellamy and Shearer's respective levels of effort & commitment during the aforementioned periods there's alot to be said in favour Bellamy's intestinal fortitude when faced with the environment of being targetted by an incumbent manger in charge. I know many supporters will obviously will take issue this point just because Bellamy and Shearer have mentioned in the same breath of air - as a point of comparison that is.

On to another comparison, that being Bellamy's reception on the weekend & Owen's at Anfield last year. Owen, with the aid of his agent - by constantly stalling contract talks & essentially playing Houllier and the Liverpool for fools for about 18 months, engineered his way out of Anfield so his reception was to be expected. Many Liverpool supporters think ill of him and understandably so - he was developed & nurtured by the club before taking the piss.

The reception afforded to Bellamy - ie. for a bloke who wanted to stay, contrary to Owen at Liverpool - was sad indeed. The same clowns, and they were probably the same type who were spouting s**** in the manner of "i hope somebody snaps the little Welsh f***ers legs off" in the week leading up to the game. I wonder if they also, and this refers to your point as to whether or not they'd shake the Scottish shitstain's hand, nodded in aknowlegement while shedding tears when Shearer dedicated his record breaking goal to the very same shitstain.

that could be matched by the beardsley/waddle receptions at SJP after moving.

strange for a player who gave 100%for us he told robson to "fuck off" and disobeyed match instructions,said if we bought rooney would have to /"consider his position"..even before this weekends shenanigans rumours were in hubcapland he was on his way this summer.as for body language blah blah,think of bellamys when played wide then think of taylors,solanos,milners,duffswhen played out of position...ffs man even steven carr!!!!!!

I can't say I share the optimism about Martins and Owen as a partnership, but no doubt we'll get a chance to see.

It all depends on Martins playing in the more withdrawn, creative role that Bellamy and before him Beardsley did so well for us. Personally, I don't think he's got the ball control or the football intelligence to do it that well. I like him, but I see him as a finisher like Owen, and Roeder may need to show some courage to choose between the two.

Perhaps there's some forward thinking and planning going on here because Roeder already knows that Owen will be going.

And booing somebody who still gave 100% effort out on the pitch despite being 'targeted for removal', and reportedly belittled in front of the entire 1st team squad by the idiot charge. Bellamy's performance level at the time, even when played out of position, imo overshadowed Shearer's showings and the subsequent body language & effort displayed out on the pitch during the final months of Gullit's tenureship. Both players', at their respective troubled periods at the club, days were numbered - ie. if both managers had their way - under two managers who had absolutely no confidence in the players in question whether it be for footballing or non-footballing reasons. So by comparing both Bellamy and Shearer's respective levels of effort & commitment during the aforementioned periods there's alot to be said in favour Bellamy's intestinal fortitude when faced with the environment of being targetted by an incumbent manger in charge. I know many supporters will obviously will take issue this point just because Bellamy and Shearer have mentioned in the same breath of air - as a point of comparison that is.

strange for a player who gave 100%for us he told robson to "f*** off" and disobeyed match instructions,said if we bought rooney would have to /"consider his position"..even before this weekends shenanigans rumours were in hubcapland he was on his way this summer.as for body language blah blah,think of bellamys when played wide then think of taylors,solanos,milners,duffswhen played out of position...ffs man even steven carr!!!!!!

More often than not talented players have an ego attached. In Bellamy's case there's a combustable personality to match, like Roy Keane. Robson's problem wasn't that he took shite/outbursts with a pinch of salt, afterall decent managers know that occasionally they have to let their players release a bit of steam on occasion. Roy Keane's frequent outbursts at training are an example. Ferguson took onboard Keane's personality, was prepared to live with it and the product was a decade or so worth of top football. That's decent man-management and i think Robson was handling Bellamy in a similar type fashion. IMO where Robson got it all wrong was the incessant need to blow hot air up the arses of the likes of Dyer, Jenas et al.... and Bellamy can be included to a lesser extent. By throwing out constant praise some of these blokes - ie. especially Dyer - thought they had become world-beaters and began to take the piss out of their careers.

strange for a player who gave 100%for us he told robson to "f*** off" and disobeyed match instructions,said if we bought rooney would have to /"consider his position"..even before this weekends shenanigans rumours were in hubcapland he was on his way this summer.as for body language blah blah,think of bellamys when played wide then think of taylors,solanos,milners,duffswhen played out of position...ffs man even steven carr!!!!!!

More often than not talented players have an ego attached. In Bellamy's case there's a combustable personality to match, like Roy Keane. Robson's problem wasn't that he took s****/outbursts with a pinch of salt, afterall decent managers know that occasionally they have to let their players release a bit of steam on occasion. Roy Keane's frequent outbursts at training are an example. Ferguson took onboard Keane's personality, was prepared to live with it and the product was a decade or so worth of top football. That's decent man-management and i think Robson was handling Bellamy in a similar type fashion. IMO where Robson got it all wrong was the incessant need to blow hot air up the arses of the likes of Dyer, Jenas et al.... and Bellamy can be included to a lesser extent. By throwing out constant praise some of these blokes - ie. especially Dyer - thought they had become world-beaters and began to take the piss out of their careers.

Another excellent post. It's all so clearly obvious when you write it down like that, who the hell can disagree but some will? It really beats me why others can't see that you're posting sound sense here.

[quote author=madras link=topic=36261.msg714828#msg714828 date=1171848655

as for body language blah blah,think of bellamys when played wide then think of taylors,solanos,milners,duffswhen played out of position...ffs man even steven carr!!!!!!

To be honest i thought Bellamy's body language at the time, when employed on the right, bordered more on 'frustration' rather than a 'couldn't be f**cked' attitude. That frustration eminating from being the club's best player, a player who had just begun to hit a rich vein of form upfront, and knowing that he was far more capable of getting job done than the two lumbering & individually ineffective strikers whom Souness preferred up top......... one striker who should've been fourth choice, and the other a local icon - and Souness' mate - who was effectively finished the previous season in terms of no longer being a productive striker at the EPL level. Grounds for frustration imo, on Bellamy's part that is.

As for disobeying match instructions. Do you think Christiano Ronaldo follows orders/instruction to the very last letter? Players' of Ronaldo and Bellamy's ilk are free wielding playmakers, and once again effective managers - from both a strategic & man-management standpoint - are prepared to live with their moments of indiscipline as you have outlined because at the end of the day the reward, this being the unpredictable & matchwinning moments of brilliance for which they're capable of, is worth the price of admission on the manager's part.

More often than not talented players have an ego attached. In Bellamy's case there's a combustable personality to match, like Roy Keane. Robson's problem wasn't that he took s****/outbursts with a pinch of salt, afterall decent managers know that occasionally they have to let their players release a bit of steam on occasion. Roy Keane's frequent outbursts at training are an example. Ferguson took onboard Keane's personality, was prepared to live with it and the product was a decade or so worth of top football. That's decent man-management and i think Robson was handling Bellamy in a similar type fashion. IMO where Robson got it all wrong was the incessant need to blow hot air up the arses of the likes of Dyer, Jenas et al.... and Bellamy can be included to a lesser extent. By throwing out constant praise some of these blokes - ie. especially Dyer - thought they had become world-beaters and began to take the piss out of their careers.

I think Robson handled Bellamy as well as any manager could, especially considering he's run into difficulties after less than a season at Liverpool. Robson knew that Bellamy was a key player in the team, and to get rid of him would have been to see us sink back into mid-table. I think the trouble was that Bellamy then became more and more aware of his power, and became more and more out of hand. It seems that it was reaching a point where Bellamy would have to go, although I don't think Robson can really be blamed for the problem escalating in the way that it did. He had to take the chance that the kid gloves would work.

Where I'd differ is the comparison with Roy Keane. Yes, Keane had a temper, but he always put the team before his own individual interests. I've never heard any story that he abused Ferguson - only team mates who he thought were slacking. It explains why Keane seems to have taken to management quite easily. Bellamy still seems to be a big, self-centred kid who thinks the world's against him whenever he can't do what he wants.