Penalty Taking

Guest smoggeordie

Guest Bramble OG

The last penalty we had two players fought over it.  Both John Stead (who was virtually begging for the ball) and Dean Whitehead wanted it.  Since Stead was desperate to score you'd have thought considering we were 3-0 down to Aston Villa, and it was the 92nd minute, Whitehead would have given it to Stead but he barged him out of the way on his way to the penalty spot.  Whitehead scored like.  I can't believe our last penalty was on 19th November 2005 and we've played around 60 games since then.  

Iam Sure we and Blackburn went a full season without getting one under Souness, Which id imagine was down to souness's constent moaning at refs on the touchline!!

Its a tough one on pen takers, mind its nice to have two players that want to put there neck on the line to take one. Martins took a pressure one V Reading at 1-2 down when as a team we were struggling for points and martins had gone a fair few games without a goal. Id stick withg Martins now as other than Everton when he was in good form and maybe a bit carried away with it as a young player his pens have been good.

EDIT: Mind saying that at 0-1 in the 91st min in a cup final id be screaming for nobby to take it hehe

That's boiling your piss? Bloody hell - i can't imagine what you were like in the Souness era.

I think it's clear that Nobby is the penalty taker. Martins just wanted the one last night. And so he should! We want to see him hungry for goals.

i think it is alright that it is not always the same player - unless you have someone who is an obvious first choice like shearer....

i wouldn't mind having a right back reach double figures next season though ;-)

It's starting to fucking boil my piss that we don't have a designated penalty taker. Martins and Solano fight against Reading, Martins scores, then misses so Roeder says "Oh well, he'll still take the next one". He didn't. Does this undermine the managers authority? Solano scores 2 on the trot and takes them brilliantly, so what happens? Martins takes it tonight.

For fucks sake pick a Penalty taker and fucking stick to it!!!

[/rant]

Penalty takers are the least threat to Roeders authority, i reckon. he's got plenty of other stuff to worry about, liek favouring shite players.

Arguing about who's going to take free kicks, even more than penalties, is something that you see fairly often in football, and it always strikes me as strange. Unlike in sports like Rugby or Cricket, where the Captain is supposed to make quite a number of decisions on the pitch, the captain at football has a much more limited role. Last night, if the decision hadn't been made before by the manager, you'd expect the Captain to have the final word.

I don't think you should just leave it for the two players to sort out. Footballers have egos, and someone who's eager to get his name on the scoresheet isn't going to be the best person to judge who should take the kick.