Glenn Roeder

Guest TheOrder
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

i know he wants to go back home after this term, so i dont think its even an option. also too injury prone, as hamstrings have kept him out for half of his time here.

Baggio, I completely agree about our defenders' ability with the ball at their feet. All the best teams have at least one centre half who has something about him in that he can play as part of the attack when necessary. I wish we had a player with that confidence (Taylor/Edgar both look decent with the ball on the deck to me, although I haven't seen enough of Gooch yet to comment, but he looks clunky like Bramble and Ramage.)

We do have to remember that Man Utd and Arsenal have coached that way for bloody years now, it hasn't just happened with a click. I do think we're improving though, but also that the likes of Bramble, Ramage, Babayaro and Carr will NEVER be able to play as you suggest. I also think that our defence is too scared to play with any flair right now and that we seem intent on doing nowt but "preventing goals" in a direct manner. Whereas, as you and NE5/HTL suggest: there's more to defending than headers/marking/tackling, etc.

There is still hope for Taylor, Edgar and Huntington because all seem to have decent levels of technical ability (Hunty to a lesser degree) - Solano is obviously exceptional in this area and will hopefully be kept on at RB (or at least as back-up.) I do think we need at least a left-back to be added to the squad, and along with a striker that is the absolute key area we must see to in the summer. Both are as important as each other, IMO.

As for Craig Moore, the bloke has been a lot better than expected and does have an awful lot of good points about him when he's actually fit, but if memory serves he's been directly responsible for a bucketload of our conceded goals this season - mainly from set-pieces, I think. If I get the time tomorrow I might look into this further. He's too old, slow and injury prone to be kept on in any capacity and by all accounts he wants to head back down under anyway.