Glenn Roeder

Guest TheOrder
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

how is NUFC a third teir club, even at this point? We're 9th in the table and haven't been able to put out a consistent starting 11 (forget about a best starting 11) all year.  We still have owen to return, and considering the circumstances, NUFC is in a decent position right now.

Lets not fucking pretend we have half a team waiting on the injury list to come back in, or that even the "best" team Roeder thinks he has is anywhere near good enough.

For me, there are 4 tiers in the Premiership, and we are in the third tier. We're a decent, average-sizd club with a very poor squad.

Yet you expect Roeder to achieve more or demand more from this average sized club? That doesn't make sense NM, you can't have it both ways.

how is NUFC a third teir club, even at this point? We're 9th in the table and haven't been able to put out a consistent starting 11 (forget about a best starting 11) all year.  We still have owen to return, and considering the circumstances, NUFC is in a decent position right now.

Lets not fucking pretend we have half a team waiting on the injury list to come back in, or that even the "best" team Roeder thinks he has is anywhere near good enough.

For me, there are 4 tiers in the Premiership, and we are in the third tier. We're a decent, average-sizd club with a very poor squad.

Yet you expect Roeder to achieve more or demand more from this average sized club? That doesn't make sense NM, you can't have it both ways.

I expected Roeder (well, no i didn't, but he should have been capable if he was good enough for the job) to achieve more by getting in the players to address the fatal issues with our first team. Then i expected us to do moderately well in the league. We HAVE actually

pretty much achieved this to date, but not through good performances - i.e. not in a sustainable manner.

oh, when i see the word "fatal", i usually associate it with more things that are actually...fatal. being short in posistions which at times have been covered decently this seasons does not qualify as "fatal".

The reality is that he will know which areas of the team he wants to strengthen, he will target certain individuals for those areas and he will bring in whoever is available from that list that the club can afford, that the selling club is prepared to sell at an acceptable and realistic price and who wants to come here and play for this club.

This may not be who you and some others want but it won't mean he's failed.

Generally I think he's done very well so far, and I'll add he wouldn't have been my choice. To suggest he's done less than a decent job is plain daft right now given the circumstances.

So Souness didn't fail when he signed Boumsong, Faye, Babayaro, Moore and Parker then?

Those players aren't good enough for us so he did fail.

However, Martins and Duff are good enough for us.

Exactly. There's no excuse. He could have signed Campbell & Lauren for a combined £500k...he still honestly believes he was right not to do either. And the £5m spent on Duff could easily have signed us a top class left-back, and there you'd have had a brand spanking new defence.

But he didn't want them so it doesn't mean he failed in the transfer market, it just means he didn't sign who YOU wanted him to sign.

and the purchase of the left winger we REALLY needed for £5m! ;)

Aye, we did need him and he was available at a good price.

Did you think Zog should have played every game this season if he was fit? Did you expect a young player like Zog to play out of his skin in this his second full season, like he did at times last season?

Did you think Zog should have played every game this season if he was fit? Did you expect a young player like Zog to play out of his skin in this his second full season, like he did at times last season?

Can you not see that the money would have been a lot better spent in other areas? Ok we could have done with a left winger to help Zog out but its like me having a plaster put on my bleeding finger and ignoring the heart operation im supposed to have!

There were a lot more pressing areas that needed attention, its not really a case of "Roeder not signing the players I wanted" its more a case of Roeder not seeing the positions most people can see desperately need filling!

Roeder was getting an awful lot of praise on that late-night Channel 5 show, from Daily Mail writer and a former Arsenal/Coventry player. Was nice to actually see him getting recognition in the national media about the job he's done... and they showed mega-extended highlights of the Toon game AND did a full piece on how well Solano did at RB and how badly Emerton did for Blackburn in the same position, so all-in-all it made for fairly good viewing late on a Thursday night.

Then I watched MOTD a bit last night and was eager to see more of the red-card in the Watford/Ipswich game... and the cunts didn't even discuss it post-match. I was surprised and how much better the C5 show was for actual analysis and discussion, especially where we were related. Granted, they don't exactly have big names on, but at least they do things semi-properly.

But aye, Glenn has done extremely well with the players he has had available. Who's to say we won't make a good crack at the UEFA, as well? Especially if the likes of N'Zogbia, Emre and Owen play some part in the later rounds.

I think Roeder's doing well with what he has.

It's been tough getting players in, but I think that's more down to the fact that he hasn't been given money.

He seems to have instilled a bit of team spirit, by all accounts the players respect him and he respects them. He's honest and doesn't hide behind excuses.

How far he can take us, I'm still unsure about, but as far as I'm concerned he's doing a decent job.

Solano getting older. Zoggy young. Milner young. And a replacement for Luque, bringing in a player before letting one go.

For 5m

Forward thinking, without a doubt.

Can't argue with it really. Unless you simply wish to criticise the club whatever they do .........

Forward thinking would have been buying some decent fucking defenders! tbh!

Lets pack the whole team full of players except the defence, really forward thinking that  :thup:

Can't argue with that really, unless you wish to defend the club whatever they do.......

Can you not see that the money would have been a lot better spent in other areas? Ok we could have done with a left winger to help Zog out but its like me having a plaster put on my bleeding finger and ignoring the heart operation im supposed to have!

There were a lot more pressing areas that needed attention, its not really a case of "Roeder not signing the players I wanted" its more a case of Roeder not seeing the positions most people can see desperately need filling!

Availability ? Price ? Desire to move north ? Why don't you consider these options ? Not buying the players YOU want doesn't equal "lack of planning". There are solid reasons for buying Duff, which have been posted earlier. I also don't have any doubt that if he has gone somewhere else, you would be slating the club for not buying a good player at a good price with his peak years ahead of him, when we had the opportunity.

Accept the fact that defenders Roeder wanted were not available for one reason or another, but why you think the club didn't also need forwards is to be honest, amazing.

Availability ? Price ? Desire to move north ? Why don't you consider these options ? Not buying the players YOU want doesn't equal "lack of planning". There are solid reasons for buying Duff, which have been posted earlier. I also don't have any doubt that if he has gone somewhere else, you would be slating the club for not buying a good player at a good price with his peak years ahead of him, when we had the opportunity.

Accept the fact that defenders Roeder wanted were not available for one reason or another, but why you think the club didn't also need forwards is to be honest, amazing.

Go and have a look at the Duff thread "mate" I said at the time we shouldn't be signing a left winger so you can fuck right off with your "you would be slating the club for not buying a good player at a good price with his peak years ahead of him, when we had the opportunity. "

You can carry on pretending we couldn't sign another defender and another striker but anyone with any sense can see if wasn't the impossible task you make out. What attracted 15 goal Benni McCarthy to the North West? Sorry because thats just a player I wanted Roeder so sign means we shouldn't even look at the fact he was allowed to move to Blackburn for a bargain (less than Duff) price.

Lets pack the whole team full of players except the defence, really forward thinking that  :thup:

Can't argue with that really, unless you wish to defend the club whatever they do.......

YOu don't understand the shape and strategy of a team. The key to good defending is firstly to keep the ball and dictate your own pace of your play, a good defender will not prevent you from being put under pressure if the forward players are not good enough. We needed forward players, and still do - if you are watching the team play, you will see we are STILL conceding possession and ground, grinding out results through spirit rather than quality possession and good forward play. Improving in these areas is an urgent priority.

YOu don't understand the shape and strategy of a team. The key to good defending is firstly to keep the ball and dictate your own pace of your play, a good defender will not prevent you from being put under pressure if the forward players are not good enough. We needed forward players, and still do - if you are watching the team play, you will see we are STILL conceding possession and ground, grinding out results through spirit rather than quality possession and good forward play. Improving in these areas is an urgent priority.

and why have we not been able to keep possesion in the other half? Can't be anything to do with lacking a left back with any attacking instinct and a right back who can keep possesion when Solano isn't there can it? Can't have anything to do with nervous centre backs who just hoof the ball up the field or out of play as soon as it gets anywhere near them can it?

We do need another STRIKER yes, we really didn't need another left winger anywhere nearly as badly as we needed other positions filled!

Go and have a look at the Duff thread "mate" I said at the time we shouldn't be signing a left winger so you can fuck right off with your "you would be slating the club for not buying a good player at a good price with his peak years ahead of him, when we had the opportunity. "

You can carry on pretending we couldn't sign another defender and another striker but anyone with any sense can see if wasn't the impossible task you make out. What attracted 15 goal Benni McCarthy to the North West? Sorry because thats just a player I wanted Roeder so sign means we shouldn't even look at the fact he was allowed to move to Blackburn for a bargain (less than Duff) price.

McCarthy and Martins ? Would they play together ? What about when Owen comes back ? I bet then you would slate the club for not considering this ie "lack of forward planning"

Lastly Jon - there is no need to swear just because I disagree with you.

Roeder was a defender, why do you doubt the fact he wasn't making a judgement on the defenders at the club ?

You have disproved your own first paragraph - above - because you are saying we shouldn't be buying forwards then slating the club for not buying McCarthy

Where did I say we shpuldn't be signing forwards or are you making stuff up again to try and suit your argument NE5?

Attacking players (like Duff) and forwards are two different things to me and a lot of other people. So are you saying we don't need another attacker to go with Owen, Martins and Shola? I can't work this out, you say we need cover for Zog but we don't need cover up front? Even though we already have makeshift forwards player there? Is that right?

and why have we not been able to keep possesion in the other half? Can't be anything to do with lacking a left back with any attacking instinct and a right back who can keep possesion when Solano isn't there can it? Can't have anything to do with nervous centre backs who just hoof the ball up the field or out of play as soon as it gets anywhere near them can it?

We do need another STRIKER yes, we really didn't need another left winger anywhere nearly as badly as we needed other positions filled!

no, we don't need an attacking left back. A full backs first priority is to defend. A full back doesn't keep possession up the field. It is clear that Martins needs a partner to help him keep the ball, and push up as a team when the ball is played out. I take the point about poor distribution from the back but there is poor distribution in midfield and up front too. Do you not think the "nervous" central defenders is not a result of them knowing some of the players in front of them aren't too hot at holding the ball and it is going to come straight back again - which it does ?

How many scoring opportunities are we creating in games ? Do you not agree that we have won a few games while being under the cosh lately ? That is something that needs to change, it is happening because the quality to dictate the pace of the game isn't there.

no, we don't need an attacking left back. A full backs first priority is to defend. A full back doesn't keep possession up the field. It is clear that Martins needs a partner to help him keep the ball, and push up as a team when the ball is played out. I take the point about poor distribution from the back but there is poor distribution in midfield and up front too. Do you not think the "nervous" central defenders is not a result of them knowing some of the players in front of them aren't too hot at holding the ball and it is going to come straight back again - which it does ?

How many scoring opportunities are we creating in games ? Do you not agree that we have won a few games while being under the cosh lately ? That is something that needs to change, it is happening because the quality to dictate the pace of the game isn't there.

Thats the end of the debate for me, if you don't understand the modern game I am clearly wasting my time even trying to explain things to you. Have a nice Sunday afternoon.

Where did I say we shpuldn't be signing forwards or are you making stuff up again to try and suit your argument NE5?

Attacking players (like Duff) and forwards are two different things to me and a lot of other people. So are you saying we don't need another attacker to go with Owen, Martins and Shola? I can't work this out, you say we need cover for Zog but we don't need cover up front? Even though we already have makeshift forwards player there? Is that right?

I think the priority is a quality forward/striker, by a million miles. Then an attacking midfield player, particularly if Emre goes, who isn't good enough anyway.

Then a left back. I think that Taylor at centre back is more than good enough. I also think that to a degree defences can be "made" through players that have committment, courage, organisation and communication. I like what I see in Edgar. We are now talking 4 new players though, if you want a 2nd defender, and on a priority basis have to accept that bringing in quality costs money, possibly more than we can afford to find. And you have to find players who want to move north and play for Newcastle too. A half hearted defender is no good to anybody, we have seen enough of those in the last years to know this.

Thats the end of the debate for me, if you don't understand the modern game I am clearly wasting my time even trying to explain things to you. Have a nice Sunday afternoon.

;D