AZ or Fenerbahce?

Rich

They should have won the UEFA cup 2 years ago but Sporting knocked them out on a silly rule (both team scored 1 goal in extra time but 1 goal counts as 2 for the away team).

I also saw that game and it was indeed one of the most cracking games I saw in the last couple of years. AZ only got knocked out by a goal in the 121st minute that game and I felt really sorry for them, despite the fact that they are Dutch  ;).

But mind that that was two years ago, they had another coach (they were managed by Co Adriaanse back then) and they had a lot of quality players who don't play for them anymore.

AZ are still a quality team but I don't rate them as high as two years ago honoustly.

PSV and Feyenoord were considered as tough opposition when we played them. AZ have been better than Feyenoord for a couple of seasons now and recently they won 3-2 in Eindhoven.

We are playing a very good side, with a world class coach (no not Roy Keane  ;)) and who've just beaten Fener over two legs which is never easy.

Anyone who thinks this will be easy is really kidding themselves.

PSV and Feyenoord were considered as tough opposition when we played them. AZ have been better than Feyenoord for a couple of seasons now and recently they won 3-2 in Eindhoven.

We are playing a very good side, with a world class coach (no not Roy Keane  ;)) and who've just beaten Fener over two legs which is never easy.

They never actually beat Fenerbahce at home or away, they drew 5-5 on aggregate and went through on the away goals (that silly rule as someone just called it) rule.

We actually beat Fenerbahce 1-0 at home and quite honestly should not fear anyone at all. We beat Liverpool last week who have subsequently gone on to beat Barcelona (the reigning CL champions) in the Nou Camp.

Don't underestimate your own team, if we play to our strengths and have the crowd behind us we are a match for anyone.

They never actually beat Fenerbahce at home or away, they drew 5-5 on aggregate and went through on the away goals (that silly rule as someone just called it) rule.

We actually beat Fenerbahce 1-0 at home and quite honestly should not fear anyone at all. We beat Liverpool last week who have subsequently gone on to beat Barcelona (the reigning CL champions) in the Nou Camp.

Don't underestimate your own team, if we play to our strengths and have the crowd behind us we are a match for anyone.

Don't get me wrong we're in with a great chance, my point is they are a good side and not to be underestimated.

Whatever the scores, they beat Fener over two legs (so the draw for the last 16 says anyway) and I repeat ,that is never an easy thing to do.

Havent we beaten Pool 3-4 seasons running now at home in the Premiership? We beat them under Souness, so it cant count for much. Same with beating Chelsea at home these past few seasons.

It also needs to be remembered that despite Fenerbahce being shit on the day, they still outplayed us pretty easily, and our goal came more against the run of play than anything. Like many of our wins this season, they had the chances to score against us, and failed.

I think/hope well beat AZ, but if theyre organised and well drilled with competent players in all positions, theyve got a massive advantage over us.

NUFC again to the NL. O0 Quite looking forward to this game, always nice to see AZ in Europe.

Biggest problem will the be the style of AZ, if you let them play their passing game with de Zeeuw, Arveladze and Martens, they are very dangerous. AZ will attack a lot on the wings with Jenner and the Cler.

Weak links are the goalkeeper (not international class, already have used 4 or 5 this season), physical power on the midfield and because of the attacking style, the counter attack.

Therefore, AZ will fear players like Dyer and Martins.

Guest cheeseboy

hey there, here is some reply from an AZ supp.

we are verry happy to play in england AT LAST.

we are hoping for a good result and a verry plessant stay in Newcastle,

we have heard there are some nice pubs in your town?

finaly we are playing in your beautiful stadum.

see you soon :thup: :thup: :thup: :cheesy: :cheesy: