N'Zogbia vs Duff

Newcastle Fan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

zoggy if i had to chose - but in reality, whoever is on form.

as opposed to many of you i think we need both - duff can fill in on the right, and zoggy in the middle.

great couple of left wingers we have!

Zog, although Duff shown in the last 2 games he can beat a man when they are tired in the last 20mins or so in the game I don't have much faith in him doing it enough over 90mins. Although I have been frustrated the way Zog has tried to do a bit too much this season and losing possesion at least he has lost it a lot further up the pitch and still seems a lot more dangerous than Duff.

I doubt many people hate Duff, he's done nothing to make people hate him.  When he signed my feelings were that we'd signed a quality player who we didn't need.

I think most people were a bit pissed off that we signed a player that a lot of people felt we didn't need and that was said at the time of his transfer.  The fact that he's turned out to be a waste of £5 million so far just proves those who felt the money should go elsewhere were right, yes, that bit's hindsight but that doesn't change the fact that so far he's been very poor and he would have been slaughtered if he was a lesser player (historically) costing that money for very little return.

His "pedigree" seems to be the only reason that he doesn't get more stick, he gets a lot less stick than a few other players who have cost this club less than Duff or nothing at all.  I can't see any problem with Duff having his value to the team questioned by the fans, he's been a passenger in the team for too long this season, he's yet to justify his weekly wage, never mind his transfer fee, a third of the budget for a year.

Duff shouldn't be picked because of what he did at Blackburn or Chelsea, he was no world beater at Chelsea and that's one of the reasons we were allowed to sign him.  He's had plenty of time to settle in here but has so far failed to do so, possibly due to his stop/start season through injuries but also possibly due to having no drive.  Maybe he played well at Blackburn because he was hungry and now lost that when he went to Chelsea for such a large fee, maybe he felt that was the sign that he'd made it and could start to relax.

I think his lack of form is down to one of three reasons, a lack of motivation, a lack of hunger or his injuries.  Even if it is one of them he's had plenty of chances to prove himself and has been picked on his past record rather than merit, I would say that he's never played a single game on merit, at least not based on what he’s done here, 15 minutes against a very poor team isn’t good enough.

Duff was surrounded by good players at Chelsea, he wasn't at Blackburn.  I can't see that he's under any kind of pressure here because we're expecting too much of him, I think we expect him to put in a good 90 minutes when he plays, that's something we have every right to expect, we should expect that of the 11 who turn out every week, when I see Duff I don't see a plyer who appears to be trying too hard, I see a player who tries no harder than anybody else.

He can have no complaints about his treatment from the fans as they've given him a lot of slack, a lot of slack which hasn't been afforded to some other players recently.

Duff has to start living up to his reputation and he has to do it soon or should be dropped once N’Zogbia becomes fit again, Duff playing poorly should not prevent N’Zogbia from developing.

Brilliant post Mick. However on the bold part, I don't think he is lacking any hunger or will. He still tries hard to beat his man, although mainly to no prevail. I think he is lacking proper training and hence losing his edge.

Zog, obviously. Duff and Nobby have had similar seasons, if you ask me: both have looked much better at full-back than they have in their natural positions.

Agree 100% that Nobby has been awesome at RB compated to Carr but Duff at LB, na no way he just looks a bag of nervs  is never to sure what position to take up, when to go to the man and ball or when to drop off, Baba sadly is still our best option at LB.

GK

Solano        CD        CD        Duff

Milner        CM        CM      N'Zogbia

CF      CF

Until the end of the season wouldn't be bad, Wouldn't be bad at all

Zog, obviously. Duff and Nobby have had similar seasons, if you ask me: both have looked much better at full-back than they have in their natural positions.

Agree 100% that Nobby has been awesome at RB compated to Carr but Duff at LB, na no way he just looks a bag of nervs  is never to sure what position to take up, when to go to the man and ball or when to drop off, Baba sadly is still our best option at LB.

I'm not saying Duff was as good at LB as Nobby has been at RB, but he's done better there, imo, because his limitations aren't shown up to such an extent (i.e. can't beat his man with the ball, totally one footed, etc.)

GK

Solano        CD        CD        Duff

Milner         CM         CM      N'Zogbia

CF       CF

Until the end of the season wouldn't be bad, Wouldn't be bad at all

If only roeder thinks that way..

Guest mishka17

i'd play duff instead of babba, put zoggy on left wing, the same on the right site - Nobby instead of carr, Milner on the wing.

just realised that someone wrote the same idea earlier  :)

I am in shock how many would take Duff at LB, he was so nervous and looked in panic mode when played there, yes we are better off having a left footer at LB, but a left footed defender not a left footed winger. I thought Edgar did well at LB for a right footer so I would like to see him get a chance there again.