Raise up Toon-start fighting

Guest Harry-Norway

Steven Taylor is NOT a full back.  He can fill in adequately at right back (if you have a team of players who can perform adequately in their position, you settle for mid-table, which seems to be where we're heading), and he's pretty poor at left back.  I would also dispute whether Stephen Carr can play at right back.

I think he's a very solid right back, obviously not a left back.

In my opinion, Duff's best game for us was in Europe when he played LB. Maybe thats the way forward.

He's a 'just scrapes by' RB. But if you think that Carr is any kind of footballer at all, i can understand you thinking Taylor is "very solid".

Duff's best game wasn't at LB, but it was one of his 'least bad'. Which just means that we have another player who we can play out of position and will make marginally fewer fuck-ups than that cretin Babayaro.

Guest Gemmill

people will only get behind a decent manager.  roeder is not decent by any definition of the word.

Were you saying that about bobby in his first 2 seasons?

A couple of points that would counter your argument:

- We're 11th in the league, six points of 6th, in no danger of relegation, and for the most part of this season we've had between 10 and 16 first team players injured.

- His signings have been good. Martins = Class, Duff = Underperforming but still good, Sibi = Decent back up, Gooch = First few games have been very good considering he's come into a far superior league. Bernard = Fair enough.

- You could also argue that our squad would never have been good enough to get near the UEFA places anyway, and it's our expectations that are marginally too high.

Are you serious?  You think those points counter the argument that Roeder isn't good enough?

We're 11th?  Well that's brilliant.

His signings have been good?  Martins looks decent, Duff has been s**** but I'm hopeful he will come good, Sibierski he got unbelievably lucky with (considering he hadn't even thought about signing him til gone teatime on deadline day) and Bernard has been a f****** joke.  We'll see about Gooch.  The transfer windows under Roeder to date have been total abortions.

We aren't good enough for UEFA spots?  Expectations successfully lowered there then.

You've fucked your quotes up but I think you've asked if I was saying that about Robson in his first two seasons.  To which I would respond:  Are you seriously trying to compare Glenn Roeder with Bobby Robson?

people will only get behind a decent manager.  roeder is not decent by any definition of the word.

Were you saying that about bobby in his first 2 seasons?

A couple of points that would counter your argument:

- We're 11th in the league, six points of 6th, in no danger of relegation, and for the most part of this season we've had between 10 and 16 first team players injured.

- His signings have been good. Martins = Class, Duff = Underperforming but still good, Sibi = Decent back up, Gooch = First few games have been very good considering he's come into a far superior league. Bernard = Fair enough.

- You could also argue that our squad would never have been good enough to get near the UEFA places anyway, and it's our expectations that are marginally too high.

Are you serious?  You think those points counter the argument that Roeder isn't good enough?

We're 11th?  Well that's brilliant.

His signings have been good?  Martins looks decent, Duff has been s**** but I'm hopeful he will come good, Sibierski he got unbelievably lucky with (considering he hadn't even thought about signing him til gone teatime on deadline day) and Bernard has been a f****** joke.  We'll see about Gooch.  The transfer windows under Roeder to date have been total abortions.

We aren't good enough for UEFA spots?  Expectations successfully lowered there then.

You've fucked your quotes up but I think you've asked if I was saying that about Robson in his first two seasons.  To which I would respond:  Are you seriously trying to compare Glenn Roeder with Bobby Robson?

Robson could have stayed in the job till he was forgetting who he was, and calling sodding RAMAGE 'Carl Cort', and he'd still talk more sense than Roeder.

"Martins = Class"

I beg to differ

"Martins = Class"

I beg to differ

Agreed - has pace, a good shot and can jump well for small striker, BUT - cannot control  the ball quickly enough,does not have the mobility to pull defenders out of place, looks disinterested at times.Will always get a few goals, but will NEVER ne atop striker like Henry, Shearer etc.

Guest JamesD

he's just only 22 playing in a new league. when he's 25 or 26 and his overall play is still at this level, i'll be more receptive to this arguement.

Martins has just turned 22 ffs. At 22, Didier Drogba was still playing in the French equivalent of the Championship, Thierry Henry had arrived as a left wing flop at Juventus and couldn't score in his first ten games at Arsenal and Les Ferdinand was at Brentford on loan (without scoring).

Why so many are so fast to write off our own players I have no idea, especially the ones who show they've actually got something, not just Martins either, 20 year old N'Zogbia (well past his sell by date tbh) is also a victim. Players do improve after 22 years of age, as amazing as that might sound to some people.

Guest JamesD

with the level of play that N'zogbia was at last season, its almost disgraceful the treatment he gets on here.  I still think he'll be world class in several years, and probably in the french national side. certainly has the ability/potential.

with the level of play that N'zogbia was at last season, its almost disgraceful the treatment he gets on here.  I still think he'll be world class in several years, and probably in the french national side. certainly has the ability/potential.

and unfortunately, he probably won't be with us anymore

The Zog has genuine potential to be world class, i think. Not like Shambles, and Dire, and Shola, who will never be great players, i think this fella could go on to great things. But he needs to be playing with better players than those above, and others around him at NUFC, and for a better manager, or else he will become just as much of a waste of time as any of the above.

Guest Gemmill

Where's this disgraceful treatment?  I'm not being a twat but I haven't seen much of it.  I've seen a lot of undue OTT praise and talk of him being nailed-on to be the next Thierry Henry, and I've seen people quite rightly question his crossing ability and decision-making (even if a player is young, it's still ok to criticise them without writing them off.  Same goes for Martins.)