Parker's fitness

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

I thought he played well last night, not great, but well, like everyone else, however he doesn't look in tip top condition regarding his pace and sharpness and I've noticed this season he will be full of spring and spark in one game, then look leggy and slow in comparison the next and I'm wondering whether he's still suffering from Glandular Fever in some form or another, as his symptons seem to indicate. He looked shattered after 70 minutes last night and even post-match, he doesn't look the picture of good health. GF takes at least two years to get out of the system and even then it stays with you for life and I think, personally, we've underestimated the impact this has had on his game, or are ignorant to it. Last season 9 games out of 10 he was full of energy and running, and our strongest player, this season he's struggled it has to be said. Of course the stop/start season he has had due to various niggly injuries can be a cause, but by all accounts he's a quick healer and like Shearer in that he doesn't need games to get back to full fitness, something is up either way because he's not as sharp, energetic and as quick as he was throughout last season.

Glandular fever has been linked to chronic fatigue syndrome, although there is no single proven cause for chronic fatigue.

Glandular fever would definitely have gone by now, but he may well be suffering from post-viral fatigue syndrome.  I had glandular fever a few years back, only sick for a couple of weeks, but for about two years after that I was knackered all the time, it just completely drained my energy.

I think its just his style, a bit like Duff and Chris Waddle they just always look knackered.

But to be fair to Parker he covers a hell of a lot of ground probably 3 times as much as the defence or attack.