Carroll has eyes on a Cup double

Delima

What do you guys think about wor Andy Carroll? Does he have the potential?

The Journal

Carroll has eyes on a Cup double

Mar 10 2007

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

Andy Carroll

Within seconds of Andy Carroll's arrival at Newcastle's training ground a little after 9.45am yesterday, Lee Clark appeared at the main entrance and ordered the teenager to report to the canteen for breakfast in the strictest possible terms.

He might need the occasional reminder to eat but there can be no questioning Carroll's appetite for sporting success. He has already broken records this season, but the ambitious 18-year-old has his sights set on loftier achievements.

The youngest player ever to represent United in European competition, a striker who made his Uefa Cup debut at just 17 years and 300 days will underline his youth when he returns to action in a black-and-white shirt this afternoon. Less than 48 hours after the club's breathtaking win against AZ Alkmaar, Carroll will spearhead Newcastle's challenge in the FA Youth Cup.

"It's a strange situation for me but it's great," said a player who hungers for goals. "I'm playing for three different Newcastle teams (youth team, reserve team and first team) and I'm loving every minute. It's great.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

"To be up here at the first-team training ground working with the pros is fantastic, but I love getting back down to the academy to see all my friends, the people I have trained with for the last few years.

"It's a little bit hectic but I'm doing everything I have always wanted to do. I couldn't be happier with things at the minute."

Having tucked into his breakfast with gusto, Carroll was dispatched to Newcastle's academy where Joe Joyce was finalising his preparations for this afternoon's Youth Cup semi-final first-leg against Liverpool.

Having tasted first-team football, it would have been understandable had the striker considered the competition with some scorn. The truth could be no different.

"I've probably looked forward to this game more than the Uefa Cup game against AZ," said Carroll, an unused substitute against Louis van Gaal's Eredivisie outfit on Thursday evening.

"This is the big game of the week for me and I can't wait for it. I have been looking forward to it all week. It's an important competition, and one that all young players want to do well in. This really matters."

Carroll has played in the Uefa Cup, the FA Cup and the Premiership this season, and such was Glenn Roeder's faith in his young protege that he had no qualms about throwing him into the fray in the hostile surroundings of Stadio Renzo Barbera during the fraught closing stages of last November's commendable win on Sicilian soil.

On taking to Palermo's pitch, Carroll succeeded Aaron Hughes as the club's youngest-ever European representative. The Irishman's record had stood for nine years.

"I didn't realise that until I came off the pitch," he said. "Everyone was talking about it, people were texting me, and I couldn't quite believe it. I'm proud to have that record against my name but I don't know how long it will last for.

"There's a good group of young players coming through and a few of them could take it off me. I wouldn't mind, it would be nice to see them break into the first-team squad like I have done.

"I still find it hard to believe what has happened to me this season - it was so unexpected when I got on at Palermo. As soon as I got off the pitch, I rang everyone I could think of to tell them about it.

"It was an amazing experience for me and I still find it strange to think that I've played first-team football for Newcastle. It's everything I've ever wanted."

Having made four brief first-team appearances Carroll is still waiting for his first senior goal although his record this season at lesser levels (10 goals in eight youth-team starts, three in seven for the second string) suggests it is just a matter of time.

The striker's predatory powers have impressed Roeder, and that his former academy mentor is now in charge of the club's first-team fortunes has helped.

"It's great that he's in charge now," said Carroll. "He knows how I play, he knows what I can do and he knows I can do it in the first team. He has given me a chance little by little and I'm grateful.

"It isn't always easy for young players to break through but we have got a few on the fringes. Part of that's because of the manager and part of that's because of the injuries.

"But part of it is because our lads are good players. We have quality, we have players who deserve a chance and he has given them it."

A lifelong Newcastle supporter, Carroll has been with the club since he was spotted playing for Low Fell Juniors as a 10-year-old. A player living the dream turned down Sunderland to pledge his allegiance to United and he has no regrets.

"My mum supports Sunderland but she didn't put any pressure on me - it was left to me to choose and I think I made the right decision," added a player who could be involved with two triumphant teams should Joyce's side progress in the Youth Cup and Roeder's in the Uefa Cup.

"It would be fantastic to be involved in two cup-winning teams. I hadn't thought of that before but now it has been pointed out to me it would be an absolute dream.

"But then everything that has happened this season has been a dream. I still have to pinch myself sometimes."

Guest TheOrder

He have the potential,others don't..

Strange you say that. Donaldson, Godsmark, Lua Lua, and Cavener all show immense ability.

Last years graduates, Huntington and Edgar show promise. Huntington at CB is comfortable,and Edgar has been decent too.

He have the potential,others don't..

Strange you say that. Donaldson, Godsmark, Lua Lua, and Cavener all show immense ability.

Last years graduates, Huntington and Edgar show promise. Huntington at CB is comfortable,and Edgar has been decent too.

Really? What gives you that idea?

Guest TheOrder

He's the academy captain. Gets that for eating shreddies does he?

Plus, I've seen him excel in god knows how many games :thup:

Lua Lua is awesome..

Godsmark looks like the new Alan O'Brien to me..Fantastic pace but hardley puts and decent service in..

Donaldson,havn't seen much of the lad,but for the rest of the team they are fairly good,but Carroll and Lua Lua aside,none of them have the potential to shine in the EPL..

Guest TheOrder

Lua Lua is awesome..

Godsmark looks like the new Alan O'Brien to me..Fantastic pace but hardley puts and decent service in..

Donaldson,havn't seen much of the lad,but for the rest of the team they are fairly good,but Carroll and Lua Lua aside,none of them have the potential to shine in the EPL..

Better wait until they have actually matured as footballers a bit like. Seeing as some of them are only 15/16. Youngest academy side IIRC

Lua Lua is awesome..

Better wait until they have actually matured as footballers a bit like. Seeing as some of them are only 15/16. Youngest academy side IIRC

Aye,i am just talking potential wise,they can still devolp to fantastic players with hardwork and training..anyone of them..

Guest TheOrder

He's the academy captain. Gets that for eating shreddies does he?

Plus, I've seen him excel in god knows how many games :thup:

Nowt to do with you being his mate? :razz:

(

Haha, to be quite honest with you, i thought he was shit at High School (Norham high) he was too skinny, and wasn't the best going forward. Last year, saw him playing in the academy, and he was still skinny but he was really athletic, fierce in the tackle and never gives up. This year, he's made the step up, he's handy with the ball at his feet, able to take a touch and pass the ball on to the wingers very quickly.

Definatly a holding midfielder in the shape of Nicky Butt, slim, but knows how the game is played.

Godsmark is fast fuck, but i wish we wouldnt hoof the long ball at him all the time.

Carrol is just class.

Lua Lua is awesome..

Your binoculars must be good.

Lua Lua is awesome..

Got my own sources  :coolsmiley:

Lua Lua is awesome..

Well I suppose Luque is a regular in the reserves now.

I don't see how someone can look like the new someone else when you haven't seen them, though.

Lua Lua is awesome..

Well I suppose Luque is a regular in the reserves now.

I don't see how someone can look like the new someone else when you haven't seen them, though.

:lol:

Who said i havn't seen them?/Donaldson aside..

Glad im not the only one who was reading Newcastle Fans comments on our youth team thinking "hang on this fella has probably never seen any of them play" obviously a glimpse at Carroll but not enough to claim whether or not he will make it.

Glad im not the only one who was reading Newcastle Fans comments on our youth team thinking "hang on this fella has probably never seen any of them play" obviously a glimpse at Carroll but not enough to claim whether or not he will make it.

What makes you think that i didnt see those lads?

I actually was at Newcastle from 15 Aug to 17 September last year,and had the pleasure of watching a couple of U-18's games and one reserves game  (that means i propbly went to more reserves games then 90% of the people here),I did see enough from some of the players to judge them,but after that some new youngsters started playing with the U-18 side and i didnt see those lads..

FFS why would i "lie" about something like this ???

So you went to 3 games last year and know they arent good enough, genius.

Aye,well thats my opinion...PM goes to most reserves/u-18 games and he know hell of alot better then i do..so i am only saying what i said because of what i saw from the lads about 6 month ago,they might've improved it those 6  month and turned to better players,but from what i saw myself i can only say that alot of our youngsters won't make it to the first team unless they work harder in training..