We'll keep on fighting

Delima

The Journal

If Michael Owen is not injured, would you have bought Obafemi Martins? Could Michael Owen score more goals than Martins who has had a very good scoring record so far? Shola Ameobi, is he any better than Martins or Sibierski? You talk a lot about Martins and Sibierski doing very well, do you really think that Owen + Ameobi would have done any better under similar circumstances?

What happen to your no injury excuse thingy? You have the whole summer and winter to deal with the loss of Michael Owen, yet you are still using him as an excuse, even though the team has played without him for nearly a whole full season?

You can't even be coherent.

Senior players not performing. You are the manager, you have to manage the players. You just can't buy without managing and coaching them.

We are all disappointed, but there is no need for stupid excuses especially when you pride yourself talking sense in normally.

We'll keep on fighting

Mar 16 2007

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

Glenn Roeder

An angry Glenn Roeder last night rejected any suggestions Newcastle United's season could be considered a failure as the club's last remaining chance of silverware disappeared in Holland.

The Magpies were beaten 2-0 at AZ Alkmaar in the second leg of their Uefa Cup last-16 tie and crashed out of the competition on the away goals rule, leaving United with nothing meaningful to play for during the last two months of the campaign.

Roeder criticised his players and insisted his under-performing outfit had not delivered what he expected on a night that will ensure the pressure rises at St James's Park. But although a trophy drought that has endured since 1969 will be extended for a further 12 months at least, the Newcastle boss would not accept an understandable line of questioning as the inquests began.

"It's too easy just to say it's another season of failure for Newcastle," he said. "I can see why you want to go down that line. But you follow us and you know the problems we have had. The squad has been decimated by injuries for six months and, at times, I have had to pick up points without a dozen senior players. Even the supporters understand the problems we have had.

"I'm not talking about three or four injuries, I'm talking about a whole team being out. I have never complained about it, I have tried to accept it and move forward and do the best we can."

Roeder has insisted that he has never used injuries as an excuse on a consistent basis but his response to last night's result will undermine his stance. United were missing only four first-team players at the DSB Stadion - in Michael Owen, Shola Ameobi, Celestine Babayaro and Stephen Carr. "Only Michael Owen?" he countered. "He's a world-class striker. And there's Shola, who scored a goal every two games for me last season. You know where I'm coming from.

"We've only just got some of these senior players back fit in the last couple of weeks. We have just got Stephen Carr back after his injuries, he has played one game and he is injured again."

Having vowed to take a high-tempo approach into the second leg of a tie United led 4-2 following last week's 4-2 win at St James's Park, Roeder's team were too cautious in last night's return fixture.

The tactics must be questioned, although the 51-year-old insisted senior players had let him down. He said: "It was a question of players who I might have expected to perform better not doing it. We had too many players off form, experienced players. I'm hugely disappointed, I can't sit here and explain how disappointed I am personally.

"Players I expected to perform played poorly. We trained well (on Wednesday) and it gave me a lot of confidence that the boys were in good shape. It's not everybody, there were some decent performances and I don't want to tar them all with the same brush. But we needed everyone to play well."

Newcastle cannot end their 38-year search for silverware this season but Roeder last night insisted that the season will not fizzle out following the club's Uefa Cup exit. The sole challenge now is to qualify for Europe via the Premiership but even securing a place in the Intertoto Cup appears a tall order on this evidence.

"We can only try," he added. "We can only try to win the next three points (at Charlton on Sunday), see what the other results around us are and keep moving forward. The challenge for the players is to try to win the next game.

"It will be a hell of a battle but they have to go there and do themselves and this club proud and pick up three points. It (the season) will not fizzle out.

"There are plenty of points to play for to make sure we have a good finish to the season. There are nine games left and we have to finish as high in the Premiership as we can, certainly in the top half of the table and, although we don't like it, accept that the injury crisis we have had has cost us."

"Even the supporters understand the problems we have had."

How incredibly patronising.

Aye, if we don't understand then we're not "Even supporters," I go off him more by the minute. 

Guest optimistic nit

its funny that roeder keeps on insisting that he's never complained about his injuries, and yet brings them up every fucking 5 minutes. :lol:

we showed plenty of fighting spirit last night btw, just no technique, vision, creativity, ball skills, intelligence, composure and a whole host of other things.

Guest andynufc84

The Journal

If Michael Owen is not injured, would you have bought Obafemi Martins? Could Michael Owen score more goals than Martins who has had a very good scoring record so far? Shola Ameobi, is he any better than Martins or Sibierski? You talk a lot about Martins and Sibierski doing very well, do you really think that Owen + Ameobi would have done any better under similar circumstances?

What happen to your no injury excuse thingy? You have the whole summer and winter to deal with the loss of Michael Owen, yet you are still using him as an excuse, even though the team has played without him for nearly a whole full season?

You can't even be coherent.

Senior players not performing. You are the manager, you have to manage the players. You just can't buy without managing and coaching them.

We are all disappointed, but there is no need for stupid excuses especially when you pride yourself talking sense in normally.

We'll keep on fighting

Mar 16 2007

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

Glenn Roeder

An angry Glenn Roeder last night rejected any suggestions Newcastle United's season could be considered a failure as the club's last remaining chance of silverware disappeared in Holland.

The Magpies were beaten 2-0 at AZ Alkmaar in the second leg of their Uefa Cup last-16 tie and crashed out of the competition on the away goals rule, leaving United with nothing meaningful to play for during the last two months of the campaign.

Roeder criticised his players and insisted his under-performing outfit had not delivered what he expected on a night that will ensure the pressure rises at St James's Park. But although a trophy drought that has endured since 1969 will be extended for a further 12 months at least, the Newcastle boss would not accept an understandable line of questioning as the inquests began.

"It's too easy just to say it's another season of failure for Newcastle," he said. "I can see why you want to go down that line. But you follow us and you know the problems we have had. The squad has been decimated by injuries for six months and, at times, I have had to pick up points without a dozen senior players. Even the supporters understand the problems we have had.

"I'm not talking about three or four injuries, I'm talking about a whole team being out. I have never complained about it, I have tried to accept it and move forward and do the best we can."

Roeder has insisted that he has never used injuries as an excuse on a consistent basis but his response to last night's result will undermine his stance. United were missing only four first-team players at the DSB Stadion - in Michael Owen, Shola Ameobi, Celestine Babayaro and Stephen Carr. "Only Michael Owen?" he countered. "He's a world-class striker. And there's Shola, who scored a goal every two games for me last season. You know where I'm coming from.

"We've only just got some of these senior players back fit in the last couple of weeks. We have just got Stephen Carr back after his injuries, he has played one game and he is injured again."

Having vowed to take a high-tempo approach into the second leg of a tie United led 4-2 following last week's 4-2 win at St James's Park, Roeder's team were too cautious in last night's return fixture.

The tactics must be questioned, although the 51-year-old insisted senior players had let him down. He said: "It was a question of players who I might have expected to perform better not doing it. We had too many players off form, experienced players. I'm hugely disappointed, I can't sit here and explain how disappointed I am personally.

"Players I expected to perform played poorly. We trained well (on Wednesday) and it gave me a lot of confidence that the boys were in good shape. It's not everybody, there were some decent performances and I don't want to tar them all with the same brush. But we needed everyone to play well."

Newcastle cannot end their 38-year search for silverware this season but Roeder last night insisted that the season will not fizzle out following the club's Uefa Cup exit. The sole challenge now is to qualify for Europe via the Premiership but even securing a place in the Intertoto Cup appears a tall order on this evidence.

"We can only try," he added. "We can only try to win the next three points (at Charlton on Sunday), see what the other results around us are and keep moving forward. The challenge for the players is to try to win the next game.

"It will be a hell of a battle but they have to go there and do themselves and this club proud and pick up three points. It (the season) will not fizzle out.

"There are plenty of points to play for to make sure we have a good finish to the season. There are nine games left and we have to finish as high in the Premiership as we can, certainly in the top half of the table and, although we don't like it, accept that the injury crisis we have had has cost us."

FFS 'I havn't complained about injuries'