Chopra: England selections "do my head in"

Guest smoggeordie

Hilarious.

His stats are miles better than Nugents.

David Nugent

Goals ; 16

Shots ; on      off     ww

50       46       3

assists 5

Appearances 39

Stats do not lie, if I was Chopra I would be pissed Nugent got the nod a head of me.

He's scored only a few goals more than the likes of Kamara, Rasiak, Earnshaw (who'd have had many more than 17 without the injury) who also couldn't hack it in the Premiership and he wants to be in the England squad...and people agreeing. :lol:

Crazy.

If all the England strikers were fit he would get nowhere near but nor would Nugent, I never said he was good enough for England but I do not think Nugent is good enough also. If that was you and you had better stats than the player who got picked ahead of you, you would be pissed. All I am sayign is I understand why Chops is pissed off.

Guest Gemmill

If I was Michael Chopra I think I'd be all too aware that I was nowhere near good enough for international football, and I wouldn't embarrass myself by suggesting that I should have had an England call-up.

If all the England strikers were fit he would get nowhere near but nor would Nugent, I never said he was good enough for England but I do not think Nugent is good enough also. If that was you and you had better stats than the player who got picked ahead of you, you would be pissed. All I am sayign is I understand why Chops is pissed off.

From what I've seen of Nugent he looks the much better all-round player/prospect. As for the stats thing, 2003-4 season, Ameobi out-scored Rooney...did he have a right then to be p*ssed off at not making the Euro 2004 squad? Rubbish.

From what I've seen of Nugent he looks the much better all-round player/prospect. As for the stats thing, 2003-4 season, Ameobi out-scored Rooney...did he have a right then to be p*ssed off at not making the Euro 2004 squad? Rubbish.

Silly point, Rooney missed lots of games compared to Shola. Nugent and Chopra have played the same amount of games.

Silly point, Rooney missed lots of games compared to Shola. Nugent and Chopra have played the same amount of games.

Are you being serious there? This was at a time when Shearer & Bellamy were first choice remember no matter what.

I remember

Look at it this way, if Shola was fit and had been playing, do you think he  would have got the nod over Nugent ?

I do not want to see Nugent or Chopra in the full England squad but if I had to pick one on current form, it would be Chopra.

Thats just my personal view.

Guest maddog2

He never said he wanted to be in the England squad, he said he want to be ahead of Nugent in the pecking order.

He never said he wanted to be in the England squad, he said he want to be ahead of Nugent in the pecking order.

Which, based on that logic, would mean that Michael Chopra was in the England squad as of yesterday.

Have a word.

He's scored only a few goals more than the likes of Kamara, Rasiak, Earnshaw (who'd have had many more than 17 without the injury) who also couldn't hack it in the Premiership and he wants to be in the England squad...and people agreeing. :lol:

Crazy.

And yet Nugent couldn't even outscore these inferior players despite being an international class playing in Championship? Who's crazier? Chopra also missed quite a few games due to injury and suspension.

Chopra will never be in the England team, i suspect. He's found his level, good luck to him. But he's not premiership class, so he's not going to be international class.

How about Nugent? Well if he can't outscore Chopra in the Championship, hasn't had any premiership experience, do you think he is international class?

Guest Gemmill

Chopra will never be in the England team, i suspect. He's found his level, good luck to him. But he's not premiership class, so he's not going to be international class.

How about Nugent? Well if he can't outscore Chopra in the Championship, hasn't had any premiership experience, do you think he is international class?

I don't think anyone does tbh, no. 

Daft comparison imo. It's a good guide as to how strikers are performing but Kevin Phillips outscored everyone in the Premiership one year and (good player though he was) he wasn't international class. Nugent might not be either but he's got more of the attributes needed than Chopra. I agree with NM and wish him luck too.

Daft comparison imo. It's a good guide as to how strikers are performing but Kevin Phillips outscored everyone in the Premiership one year and (good player though he was) he wasn't international class. Nugent might not be either but he's got more of the attributes needed than Chopra. I agree with NM and wish him luck too.

No it is not daft comparison.

Many who derides Chopra like to point out that Chopra is playing in the Championship, as if Chopra doesn't deserve any praise because of the level he is playing. Nugent, if he is trully better than Chopra currently by having more attributes etc, should have scored more than Chopra. But he doesn't. It is not that Chopra's stats is misleading ala Ameobi who apart from scoring and limited holding up play contributes little to general game play. Chopra has plenty of assists, a very good indication of whether one is a luxury player.

Lastly, no one here is saying that Chopra is international class, not even Chopra himself. We are just puzzled why Nugent is selected ahead of Chopra.

Guest Gemmill

Many who derides Chopra like to point out that Chopra is playing in the Championship, as if Chopra doesn't deserve any praise because of the level he is playing. Nugent, if he is trully better than Chopra currently by having more attributes etc, should have scored more than Chopra. But he doesn't. It is not that Chopra's stats is misleading ala Ameobi who apart from scoring and limited holding up play contributes little to general game play. Chopra has plenty of assists, a very good indication of whether one is a luxury player.

Lastly, no one here is saying that Chopra is international class, not even Chopra himself. We are just puzzled why Nugent is selected ahead of Chopra.

He's widely regarded to be a better player than Chopra.  Maybe that's why?

Despite your claims, Chopra is not even good enough for the Premiership so he is certainly not good enough for England.  Whether Nugent is good enough for either remains to be seen, but the jury is still out on him.  The verdict on Chopra is in.

Despite your claims, Chopra is not even good enough for the Premiership so he is certainly not good enough for England.  Whether Nugent is good enough for either remains to be seen, but the jury is still out on him.  The verdict on Chopra is in.

So the current verdict is that Nugent is currently better than Chopra? I am not talking about potentially.

Guest Gemmill

So the current verdict is that Nugent is currently better than Chopra?

Yes.

Crazy.

And yet Nugent couldn't even outscore these inferior players despite being an international class playing in Championship? Who's crazier? Chopra also missed quite a few games due to injury and suspension.

Shevchenko hasn't outscored Doyle, McCarthy, Martins, etc. (not average I know). Doesn't mean he's still by far the better player.

Guest Gemmill

So the current verdict is that Nugent is currently better than Chopra?

Yes.

Why? I am not talking about potentially.

Shush.

Daft criteria to apply then for judging a player. One look at Chopra tells you he's nowhere near the standard required whereas Nugent is one for the future who might be. Hence there is some value to giving Nugent the experience with the squad and none with calling up someone like Chopra imo.