Even today's Journal gets in on the act

Big Geordie

Pulling no punches. Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere;

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_headline=gutless-united-have-no-stomach-for-fight%26method=full%26objectid=18780867%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Gutless United have no stomach for fight

Mar 20 2007

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

Shortly before the kick-off at the DSB Stadion in Alkmaar last Thursday, a short snippet of speech was broadcast over the public address system.

The words were Winston Churchill's, the phrase familiar. "We shall never surrender," roared Britain's greatest war-time Prime Minister. It is clear that the message did not get through to Newcastle United's players.

Surrender is precisely what the Magpies have done in recent days. That this is a team which lacks the stomach for a fight is obvious. In the trenches, Glenn Roeder's men would be of little use.

Seven days ago, Newcastle were preparing to do battle on foreign fields and victory appeared to be within their sights. The manner in which the white flag has been raised during the intervening period is as startling as it is sickening.

Uefa Cup quarter-final qualification was there for the taking in the Netherlands. But United blew it with a performance that poses countless questions as to the current condition of the club.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

Spineless, gutless, disgraceful, humiliating, shameful, unforgivable - all are words that can be used without fear of repercussion to sum up what occurred in Alkmaar. That which has followed has been just as bad.

Having seen his side throw away their season, Roeder demanded an immediate response at Charlton. He got a 2-0 defeat against a team that understands the concept of fighting. Newcastle should have travelled to South London determined to start the atonement process. Yet surrender was the defining theme once more and redemption seems a vain hope.

Roeder will not entertain such talk but it seems plain that his players have given up. This time last week, United supporters had genuine optimism that a 38-year wait for silverware was nearing an end. Yet this morning, their hopes shattered and their dreams wrecked, the Gallowgate faithful have nothing to cheer them.

Both Roeder and Freddie Shepherd have insisted there is still much to play for this season. But it is hard to agree. The only prizes on offer are European qualification and pride. United's players have shown little of the latter. Without it, the former appears to be an unattainable target.

If Newcastle's supporters are feeling an unshakeable sense of deja vu, it is because they have been here before. Two seasons ago, Graeme Souness and his side took a lead to Portugal, but the Uefa Cup capitulation that followed killed the club's campaign stone dead.

Upon their return from Lisbon, United were humiliated in the FA Cup semi-final. In the eight games that followed, the Magpies won just once and completed the season in 14th place in the league table.

It was the club's lowest-ever Premiership finish. That record is under threat on Sunday's evidence.

If ever there was a time to turn on the style, to prove critics wrong, and to demonstrate talents that continue to be questioned, this was it. A convincing triumph at Charlton would not have been sufficient on its own to ensure atonement. But it would have been a good start. Instead, responsibilities continued to be shirked, the malaise spread further and the crisis deepened.

While the players must take the blame and accept whatever criticism is aimed in their direction, Roeder cannot avoid censure as the inquests continue. So limp have been recent performances - the home leg against AZ excepted - the 51-year-old's motivational powers must be called into question. The Newcastle boss has been unable to inspire in a Churchillian fashion and unless a worrisome trend can be bucked - and there is no evidence to suggest that it can - his is a team that will head in one direction, downward.

A club that was waging battle with European football's finest in the later stages of the Champions League just four years ago is mired in the mediocre these days. Seasons in which Newcastle finished third, fourth and fifth are becoming distant memories at a club that can no longer consider itself better than Blackburn, Manchester City, Portsmouth and Reading.

That the Intertoto Cup is seen as salvation underlines the scale of deterioration. That even football's most-maligned tournament appears to be beyond reach is a damning indictment.

What has made United a `big club' over the years is an astonishing fan base. Yet a little over 26,000 turned out to watch the first game against AZ, and that was before Roeder's troubles began to escalate. It is something the players, paid handsomely to represent some of English football's most passionate supporters, would do well to consider over the next two weeks.

With the domestic programme interrupted by the international they will have plenty of time to think - they would be well advised to use it.

----------------------------------------

Seems as if The Journal are shifting their stance on how they report on club matters. Will The Chronicle follow suit or will they continue as Shepherd's apologists ?

Guest alijmitchell

Was just about to mention this. Looks like the journal is starting to get its act together, making the quality of journalism in the chronicle look even more shameful. I must agree, i thought that article was spot on.  :clap:

Everyones fed up...

This is one of the biggest summers in this clubs history. Might be a good thing this is all happening now. The club really has to take this summer seriously.

Not only do we need new plyers and maybe even a new manager, but we need them all in before we start our ore-season so everyone can gel together and be prepared to move forward together.

A part of me is hoping we don't qualify for the Intertoto cup as it might prove to be an unnecessary distraction this time around...

Fair play to them for doing so. Now we just need the Chronicle to follow suit.

Not a chance, man. Oliver knows they wouldn't sell half as many papers if he didn't have access to Roeder/Shepherd/Clark/Taylor, etc. etc. However, as most of his stories are lifted from the official site these days I'm sure he could manage.

I cannot blame him for being up the club's arse, because that's where his bread and butter comes from and that's where he gets the occasional "exclusive" from. Outside of the enlightened folk on here, I bet there are a fair few thousand Geordies who think Oliver is the bees knees of football journalism.

He probably doesn't give a hoot what we think because I doubt many of us buy his paper, thanks to icnewcastle.co.uk, it pains me to say it but despite his constant nonsense I still prefer the Chronicle to anything else and consider it the best source for news where NUFC are concerned. You don't find Roeder giving the Journal many "exclusive" interviews because people in football tend not to deal with media sections that slag them off, even when it's justified. The likes of Bramble won't speak to Oliver, etc. and so he becomes an instant target, however he DOES speak to the Journal and they tend to give him a far easier ride, even when he's atrocious - this week they have said he has simply been made the scapegoat "yet again."

It's the sad state of the published media these days, very few sources can afford to be a voice for the fans because they'll be refused access to the football club.

Fair play to them for doing so. Now we just need the Chronicle to follow suit.

Not a chance, man. Oliver knows they wouldn't sell half as many papers if he didn't have access to Roeder/Shepherd/Clark/Taylor, etc. etc. However, as most of his stories are lifted from the official site these days I'm sure he could manage.

I cannot blame him for being up the club's arse, because that's where his bread and butter comes from and that's where he gets the occasional "exclusive" from. Outside of the enlightened folk on here, I bet there are a fair few thousand Geordies who think Oliver is the bees knees of football journalism.

He probably doesn't give a hoot what we think because I doubt many of us buy his paper, thanks to icnewcastle.co.uk, it pains me to say it but despite his constant nonsense I still prefer the Chronicle to anything else and consider it the best source for news where NUFC are concerned. You don't find Roeder giving the Journal many "exclusive" interviews because people in football tend not to deal with media sections that slag them off, even when it's justified. The likes of Bramble won't speak to Oliver, etc. and so he becomes an instant target, however he DOES speak to the Journal and they tend to give him a far easier ride, even when he's atrocious - this week they have said he has simply been made the scapegoat "yet again."

It's the sad state of the published media these days, very few sources can afford to be a voice for the fans because they'll be refused access to the football club.

Well fucking considering he wasn`t to blame for either of the 2 home goals conceeded or the first away and he didn`t play Sunday.