Shearer for manager?

wor jackie

but with his resources in that league, he has done very well considering. put shearer in our position with more money and better players. could he do a job? that's what am getting at.

With his resources?! He's spent millions more than anybody else in that league. The side he inherited was more or less the same that McCarthy took them up with in the first place and he's added to it. I could have turned them into promotion contenders man.

in my opinion, i think keane has unfortunately done a fantastic job, considering he took over a team which was completely down and out and has revived them impressively. the division maybe significantly weaker, but sunderland's first team is also considerably weaker than ours. now if keane can motivate a team to the promotion places in that period, i have no doubt that shearer could do a similar job for us. roeder does nothing to inspire anyone. shearer would. he ias an iconic legend who would most certainly have the respect of the players and being an ex-captain, would be a good motivator. he would be ideal in the transfer market for bringing in players due to his record, and would especially attract younger strikers who would look up to him. shearer has worked under some top, top coaches, so his knowledge of tactics and man-management would also be creditable. i understand the doubts people may have and can point to examples, but i also look at what has happened to sunderland, and even people such as van basten who is managing the dutch team. i see no reason why shearer could not do a good job here. i am not saying sack roeder now, shearer in. what i would like is see how roeder does next season, and perhaps have shearer behind the scenes to groom him into a better role in the future. just me opinion like.

Guest Invicta_Toon

in my opinion, i think keane has unfortunately done a fantastic job, considering he took over a team which was completely down and out and has revived them impressively. the division maybe significantly weaker, but sunderland's first team is also considerably weaker than ours. now if keane can motivate a team to the promotion places in that period, i have no doubt that shearer could do a similar job for us. roeder does nothing to inspire anyone. shearer would. he ias an iconic legend who would most certainly have the respect of the players and being an ex-captain, would be a good motivator. he would be ideal in the transfer market for bringing in players due to his record, and would especially attract younger strikers who would look up to him. shearer has worked under some top, top coaches, so his knowledge of tactics and man-management would also be creditable. i understand the doubts people may have and can point to examples, but i also look at what has happened to sunderland, and even people such as van basten who is managing the dutch team. i see no reason why shearer could not do a good job here. i am not saying sack roeder now, shearer in. what i would like is see how roeder does next season, and perhaps have shearer behind the scenes to groom him into a better role in the future. just me opinion like.

you're talking absolute shit, but let's humour you...

say he came in and spent say £30m, what would you class as doing a good job, at the end of the season?

Guest Invicta_Toon

with that sort of money? fantasy as it is, i'd demand champions league as a bare minimum. but he wouldn't be getting that sort of money so why say it? however, i do believe that shearer would get us into the top 6

so we should risk swapping Roeder for a complete mangerial novice for an expected gain of what? 4 places? right...

just out of curiosity? what do you want regarding the managers position? under roeder, we will go anywhere but forwards and there is no suitable and available candidate which springs to mind. hence, shearer popped into my mind. what do you propose?

i agree with you for once! however, i am not happy with sitting in a mediocre position under a mediocre manager. i think replacemaent managers is totally relevant. we can't afford to slip further away from the top four - a certainty under the current manager.

Guest Invicta_Toon

and nothing Shearer will be able to change without money and a different chairman / scout network / COACHING BADGES!!!

The success of a manager is all down to how much belief the players have in their managers ability. Look at Chelsea and Man U in particular, they all walk around with an arrogance that says they believe in their manager and more importantly because of it they believe in themselves.

Roeder is a decent manager, no more, no less. I believe the reason for Keanes success is because of that almost cockyness he has, he knows hes good. Where as Roeder doesn't possess a shread of this quality... sadly.

On the other hand Shearer is a man all about self confidence. He asks you to do something and you do it. It is for that reason that i believe he will be a tremendous manager, so long as he knows stuff on tactics and general management.

Guest Invicta_Toon

The success of a manager is all down to how much belief the players have in their managers ability. Look at Chelsea and Man U in particular, they all walk around with an arrogance that says they believe in their manager and more importantly because of it they believe in themselves.

Roeder is a decent manager, no more, no less. I believe the reason for Keanes success is because of that almost cockyness he has, he knows hes good. Where as Roeder doesn't possess a shread of this quality... sadly.

On the other hand Shearer is a man all about self confidence. He asks you to do something and you do it. It is for that reason that i believe he will be a tremendous manager, so long as he knows stuff on tactics and general management.

yet there is player upon player on record saying thay had complete faith in Roeders abilities and man management

and you convenienlty forget Man U's blip when Fergie announced his retirement - not a whole lot of respect there tbh

Same as all the players that supported Souness eh?

If a journo asks a player what do you think of the manager do you expect them to say "aye, he's a bit shit like". Roeder's a nice bloke, of course they are going to say they like him. They dont want a good manager coming in and making them work.

and how you can critise fergi as a manager is beyond me.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Same as all the players that supported Souness eh?

If a journo asks a player what do you think of the manager do you expect them to say "aye, he's a bit shit like". Roeder's a nice bloke, of course they are going to say they like him. They dont want a good manager coming in and making them work.

and how you can critise fergi as a manager is beyond me.

these are quotes years after he's left

and i'm not criticising him, i'm saying he rules by fear, not respect

Guest NIToon

shearer could do a similar job for us. roeder does nothing to inspire anyone. shearer would. he ias an iconic legend who would most certainly have the respect of the players and being an ex-captain, would be a good motivator. he would be ideal in the transfer market for bringing in players due to his record, and would especially attract younger strikers who would look up to him. ,

Whilst I have reservations about Shearer getting the job as an untried manager, he would probably be good for the transfer market.  i think at the time Owen signed, he said Shearer was the selling point and very persuausive.  Although I'm sure the financial incentive was very persuasive as well

I am definately in the "let's just get it over with and appoint him" camp.

Truth be told I would have Roeder on a three year contract extension if it meant we could get rid of Fat Fred and the current board.

last season, if i am correct, it was shearer who was appointed as no.2 to roeder and the run of results was nothing short of champions league form following this.

Nah, man. It's because Parker wasn't playing.

Jokes aside.......... that's correct. Our midfield, despite it being supposedly tainted by the rascist b******'s presence, was far more functional without him in the line-up during the aforentioned period. The same occured this season as well.

IMO we would've been a relegation candidate at this stage of the season, if Parker had stayed injury free over the whole course of the current campaign. The non-existence of a 'transition passing game', because Parker as a ballwinning midfielder & often as the first receiving option for the back four, when he is the cornerstone of the engine room - ie. ball winner & the main passing conduit between the defense and the attack - has had a negative flow-on effect on the productivity levels of the widemen and most notably Martins further up the paddock.

The first manager, whether it be Roeder or Shearer, who removes the defective part of the team's engineroom will imo take the first step as far as taking the team forward. That being forward progress in the wake of the Scottish b******'s reign ie. EUFA Cup contention/qualification.