For those who know this stuff...... (Toto (not the dog))

Guest smoggeordie

Guest Alan Shearer 9

we should kick up a fuss like when scousers won the CL and say we are the undisputed Intertoto champions and should be let back in otherwise the cup could lose its great prestige and history

we should kick up a fuss like when scousers won the CL and say we are the undisputed Intertoto champions and should be let back in otherwise the cup could lose its great prestige and history

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest smoggeordie

So, to concur, finishing 10th and above Blackburn will more than likely get us toto cup. Su-poib.

I'm not so sure Pompey haven't/won't apply. From what I know the deadline for application doesn't pass for a few weeks yet so they still have plenty of time to decide what they want to do.

So can Pompey still apply?

I know some will say it could be a blessing in disguise not being in Europe as the injuries and extra games certainly didn't help our domestic campaign this season. However I think it always helps in raising the club's profile if you make it to the quarters or beyond (as we have in two of our last three attempts), even if the tournament is a poor man's Champions League. It also gives the opportunity to blood youngsters in competitive games and let's face it we did terribly under Souness when we were out of Europe anyway.

I also think it represents possibly our best chance of winning a trophy. There's always the risk of a big CL team dropping in at the later stages but the past two years this hasn't happened. The last two times we have gone out to teams who we outplayed at home before totally self-destructing, and the finalists have been beatable teams. I do get the feeling that when we finally end our trophy drought it'll be a UEFA Cup.

It was announced ages ago who had/hadn't applied.

Incorrect. BBC and other places have been told who is going to apply by that particular club.

UEFA however say a draw will take place on 23 April and then apllications for all countries close and then a list of successful applicants will be announced on June 4th.

Guest smoggeordie

It was announced ages ago who had/hadn't applied.

Incorrect. BBC and other places have been told who is going to apply by that particular club.

UEFA however say a draw will take place on 23 April and then apllications for all countries close and then a list of successful applicants will be announced on June 4th.

Don't mean to offend you here, but "Incorrect" is such a rah word. :lol:

I'm pretty sure Pompey HAVE applied. It's only Reading out of the current clubs fighting for Europe that haven't applied.

Newcastle have got no chance of qualifying imo

Tbh as a club we may be better off not qualifying this season, our squad isn't big enough to handle 60 games next season and what money we lose from Europe we should make up with a better league position.

I'm pretty sure Pompey HAVE applied. It's only Reading out of the current clubs fighting for Europe that haven't applied.

so if - hypothetically... pompey have applied. We'd have to catch pompey. NO CHANCE IN HELL. :-|

i dont even think we should bother. We need to concentrate on not being shit first.

so if - hypothetically... pompey have applied. We'd have to catch pompey. NO CHANCE IN HELL. :-|

i dont even think we should bother. We need to concentrate on not being shit first.

Yup!

Screw Europe for atleast next season. We can do without it.

Guest smoggeordie

i dont even think we should bother. We need to concentrate on not being s*** first.

Yup!

Ridiculous statement.

i dont even think we should bother. We need to concentrate on not being s*** first.

Yup!

Ridiculous statement.

Tbh, we can do without shitty European nights against shitty teams where we play shit, then consequently get knocked out when we play someone significantly better than us. And watch our domestic form suffer because of it.

Tbh, we can do without shitty European nights against shitty teams where we play s***, then consequently get knocked out when we play someone significantly better than us. And watch our domestic form suffer because of it.

We tried this remember? Souness' last season. Made no real difference, we were still shit in the league. The only difference was money wasn't coming in from the UEFA Cup

It's a waste of time though because we're NOT going to win it!

You could say that about every competition we're in. We might as well just play friendly matches for the rest of football's existence

Guest smoggeordie

Yup!

Ridiculous statement.

Tbh, we can do without shitty European nights against shitty teams where we play s***, then consequently get knocked out when we play someone significantly better than us. And watch our domestic form suffer because of it.

For the long term future of the club, consistent European qualification is a must. This summers kitty, and the calibre of players we will sign depends on it.

We tried this remember? Souness' last season. Made no real difference, we were still shit in the league. The only difference was money wasn't coming in from the UEFA Cup

Aye, that was Souness.

Although, i suppose i'm in agreement. It's good being in Europe.

But i will not be in the slightest bit bothered if we don't qualify.

Neither will I but won't you be slightly happier if we do? I mean it'd attract more players to the club, give us a small chance of getting it right and winning a trophy. I mean Boro are no decent side and they made the final

Hmm, i suppose.

Hardly a rediculous statement, though. Our domestic form does suffer because of it, and it'd be nice to see us improve in the league.

Besides - we can win the Carling Cup. ;)