NUFC has never got a top class manager by persuading him to leave another club

Guest Invicta_Toon

HTT requires post moderation tbh

I'm sure you meant this to be a serious observation. Unfortunately, poaching managers is illegal, so very few do it.

The only way to get a top manager, like Souness, when he is already in a top job, is to pay his club huge compensation for their loss.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I'm sure you meant this to be a serious observation. Unfortunately, poaching managers is illegal, so very few do it.

classic NE5 deliberate mis-interpretaion

The only way to get a top manager, like Souness, when he is already in a top job, is to pay his club huge compensation for their loss.

which of course you would be dead against even if they did go for a top manager. I'm sure you would also have something to say if the club approached someone illegally too, like everyone else. Mind, your perfect chairman - that bloke who runs the post office - could always bribe them to keep it to themselves with a few million quids worth of postage stamps.

Console yourself with the thought that they must all be looking at your sooper dooper website, which is scaring them away, as they can clearly see that we are the worst club in football.

classic NE5 deliberate mis-interpretaion

no mis-interpretation about it vicky, you meant it as a slate on the board. I presume you want them to make illegal approaches for managers ?

which of course you would be dead against even if they did go for a top manager. I'm sure you would also have something to say if the club approached someone illegally too, like everyone else. Mind, your perfect chairman - that bloke who runs the post office - could always bribe them to keep it to themselves with a few million quids worth of postage stamps.

Console yourself with the thought that they must all be looking at your sooper dooper website, which is scaring them away, as they can clearly see that we are the worst club in football.

I've made it !!! Finally I my site has made it to the level where it so influences the people that Shepherd approaches that he cannot win them over. There's me, sitting in my little room at home creating a wee web site and this has more impact than the persuasive skills of a £500,000 per year top businessman. I feel so very proud.

As far as approaching managers who are in contract. The obvious answer is to have some idea of what you are doing. Many teams try and change manager during the summer when negotiations are easier. So for example Chelsea and Liverpool who weren't happy with their managers only finishing 2nd and 4th decided to move on. Others with a great wealth of intimate knowledge of what is going on within their own club and football generally decided to keep the manager through the 3 month close season, see 14 days worth of football and sack the manager. This gives them a problem, totally of their own making.

I don't want my club to do anything illegal. I don't either want them to be led by someone who has the leadership and vision to get the key appointment ( © NE5) so badly wrong. Arguably twice in an  row.

As you seem insistent on bringing Adam Crozier into the discussion (people are starting to talk about your infatuation  :bootyshake: with him) you'll start and accuse me of being a Sven supporter  ;D 

At least I suppose we know for sure that Shepherd would never do anything that wasn't totally in the best interests of the club

I've made it !!! Finally I my site has made it to the level where it so influences the people that Shepherd approaches that he cannot win them over. There's me, sitting in my little room at home creating a wee web site and this has more impact than the persuasive skills of a £500,000 per year top businessman. I feel so very proud.

As far as approaching managers who are in contract. The obvious answer is to have some idea of what you are doing. Many teams try and change manager during the summer when negotiations are easier. So for example Chelsea and Liverpool who weren't happy with their managers only finishing 2nd and 4th decided to move on. Others with a great wealth of intimate knowledge of what is going on within their own club and football generally decided to keep the manager through the 3 month close season, see 14 days worth of football and sack the manager. This gives them a problem, totally of their own making.

I don't want my club to do anything illegal. I don't either want them to be led by someone who has the leadership and vision to get the key appointment ( © NE5) so badly wrong. Arguably twice in an  row.

As you seem insistent on bringing Adam Crozier into the discussion (people are starting to talk about your infatuation  :bootyshake: with him) you'll start and accuse me of being a Sven supporter  ;D   

At least I suppose we know for sure that Shepherd would never do anything that wasn't totally in the best interests of the club

Unfortunately, it is you who brought Adam Crozier into the debate, a while ago.

I am not infatuated with him, because basically he's a willy woofter, hopeless, and I would put him on a par with the Mckeags and Westwoods and Bob Murrays of this world.

Which is of course, why you think he is "ideal" to be chairman of NUFC.

I hope any decent managers aren't looking at your stupid website BTW ....... you're obviously not much of a salesman  mackems.gif

As for your comments about top teams changing managers, perhaps you could tell us at what stage of the season that manu appointed Ferguson, Arsenal appointed Wenger, and the great Spurs appointed Jol ?

But keep on making things up and finding the odd example that you think proves your agenda if it makes you happy.

BTW, I am pleased for you that you are so desperate to prove me wrong, and are unable to do so, that you change my posts/attribute things to say things that I have not said.  mackems.gif

Perhaps some idiot like BooBoo may even post that its childish  mackems.gif

I've always expected that top clubs line up managers when they foresee the present incumbent is failing and may need to be replaced.  In fact I bet most top clubs know who's available, coming available or would be interested in the job.  It's a simple matter then to tap them up if things are going pear shaped.  Some foreign clubs (Madrid, Barca, Milan for instance) seem to have the next 2 managers lined up before the current one's had the chance to fail.

Any competent club would a)  lock in its best people and b)  plan for the succession of key staff.  You can't rely on people to do well or stay on forever, so it's not some kind of new fangled fancy dan business technique, it's just basic common sense.  I expect the football world is quite small so it's not difficult, people's paths cross all the time, you just need to ask around and make an effort to track the people you might want.

Now I don't know whether we do this.  But the overriding impression from the last 2 appointments is that we wait until a manager's job is untenable, sack him and then issue an open invitation for candidates to apply.  Then we take ages to appoint someone.  We actually seem to have no idea who we want and genuinely start from scratch each time.  This is incredible to me if it's true - why shouldn't we identify who we want to take the team forward and will fit in with the team & club, tap them up like crazy, and get them in at a time to suit us?  Bollocks to it being illegal, everyone else does it!

I've always expected that top clubs line up managers when they foresee the present incumbent is failing and may need to be replaced.  In fact I bet most top clubs know who's available, coming available or would be interested in the job.  It's a simple matter then to tap them up if things are going pear shaped.  Some foreign clubs (Madrid, Barca, Milan for instance) seem to have the next 2 managers lined up before the current one's had the chance to fail.

Any competent club would a)  lock in its best people and b)  plan for the succession of key staff.  You can't rely on people to do well or stay on forever, so it's not some kind of new fangled fancy dan business technique, it's just basic common sense.  I expect the football world is quite small so it's not difficult, people's paths cross all the time, you just need to ask around and make an effort to track the people you might want.

Now I don't know whether we do this.  But the overriding impression from the last 2 appointments is that we wait until a manager's job is untenable, sack him and then issue an open invitation for candidates to apply.  Then we take ages to appoint someone.  We actually seem to have no idea who we want and genuinely start from scratch each time. 

You seem to be implying some sort of criticism of our board. Their lackies will be along in a moment to shoot yout down for not understanding what you are are on about ......

<snigger>

Now I don't know whether we do this.  But the overriding impression from the last 2 appointments is that we wait until a manager's job is untenable, sack him and then issue an open invitation for candidates to apply.  Then we take ages to appoint someone.  We actually seem to have no idea who we want and genuinely start from scratch each time. 

You seem to be implying some sort of criticism of our board. Their lackies will be along in a moment to shoot yout down for not understanding what you are are on about ......

Tush, I'm small fry for them.  It'd be the equivalent of the Russians invading Lichtenstein.  You're the Big Cahoona they're really after  :icon_biggrin:

Guest Invicta_Toon

Tush, I'm small fry for them.  It'd be the equivalent of the Russians invading Lichtenstein.  You're the Big Cahoona they're really after  :icon_biggrin:

bearing in mind the phrase 'top club' was used, when we have wanted to change managers, who if anybody would have been first choice that we would be tracking, and also, had we done it that way, what are the chances our first choice, once available, would come here?

Unfortunately, it is you who brought Adam Crozier into the debate, a while ago.

Yep I did one of those things you will never be accused of. I answered another person's question, and i did it honestly too. You leapt from me answering someone's question with that wonderful phrase "which is why you think .....". Never one to be able to win your won arguments you make up an opinion for others then criticise them for it.

I am not infatuated with him, because basically he's a willy woofter

Another reference to homosexuality from you. So late in life to recognise your tendencies

Which is of course, why you think he is "ideal" to be chairman of NUFC.

I hope any decent managers aren't looking at your stupid website BTW ....... you're obviously not much of a salesman  mackems.gif

but it was you that said they were ???? Make you mind up ....

As for your comments about top teams changing managers, perhaps you could tell us at what stage of the season that manu appointed Ferguson, Arsenal appointed Wenger, and the great Spurs appointed Jol ?

Man U appointed Ferguson  on 6 November 1986, the same day they sacked Atkinson

Spurs appointed Jol the same day they sacked Santini (admittedly internally)

Arsenal sacked Rioch in August, did not appoint Wenger until he became available at the end of September. They took their time the same way Shepherd did in his appointment of Roeder. Surveyed the world and found that of all the managers in the world they woudl wait for the best they could get, Roeder.

Our appointments have been September, September, August.

But keep on making things up and finding the odd example that you think proves your agenda if it makes you happy.

I think it is your view of what you think my agenda is. "Agenda" is not a word I use, and I never use the phrase "your agenda". I wouldn't be as presumptious as to try and tell soemone else what their opinion was. Although when I ever ask you what my agenda is you always reply with the enigmatic "it's obvious" or "everyone knows" or "I've answered this before". The first two may be true :) to some, but no one believes you have ever answered a straight question with a straight answer, ever.

BTW, I am pleased for you that you are so desperate to prove me wrong, and are unable to do so, that you change my posts/attribute things to say things that I have not said.  mackems.gif

Perhaps some idiot like BooBoo may even post that its childish  mackems.gif

I prefer the javelin.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That actually made me laugh out loud.

the old ones are the best I guess

Some people don't appreciate when clubs poach managers from other clubs. Take my wife....please.

lost in translation?

That's a classic joke. Oldest joke on the books.

Souldn't be read in a work environment! Very funny.

Guest devlin_adl

Not strictly true. It varies a lot. For instance, in Spain a manager can resign upon giving two weeks notice, due to local employment law. So when Liverpool took Benitez, they didn't pay a penny in compensation. What they had to do was to get Benitez to resign first and then wait two weeks before officially offering him the vacant position at Anfield.

The same reasoning would apply to a club poaching Juande Ramos from Seville (who, coincidentally, has been learning English recently) may be true in other countries as well.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Not strictly true. It varies a lot. For instance, in Spain a manager can resign upon giving two weeks notice, due to local employment law. So when Liverpool took Benitez, they didn't pay a penny in compensation. What they had to do was to get Benitez to resign first and then wait two weeks before officially offering him the vacant position at Anfield.

The same reasoning would apply to a club poaching Juande Ramos from Seville (who, coincidentally, has been learning English recently) may be true in other countries as well.

how can employment law be different in EU countries? It should all be 'harmonised'

Guest devlin_adl

how can employment law be different in EU countries? It should all be 'harmonised'

Maybe employment law should be harmonised, but it isn't. For instance, France has a statutory maximum working week of 35 hours.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Maybe employment law should be harmonised, but it isn't. For instance, France has a statutory maximum working week of 35 hours.

is it statutory? or just prevalent?

Guest devlin_adl

is it statutory? or just prevalent?

Statutory.

The introduction of the 35 hour week (Law of June 13th 1998 and Law of January 19th 2000)

1. The law established a new, legal, 35 hour working week

As from January 1st 2000 for companies with more than 20 employees, and from January 1st, 2002 for all others, the new legal working week has been set at 35 hours. In addition, the Law stipulates an annual total number of hours equivalent to an average 35 hours a week for the number of weeks worked.

In theory, this total should not exceed 1600 hours. This annual figure applies when the hours worked are calculated on a yearly basis.

2. The Law clarified the rules governing overtime

Weekly overtime starts to accrue with the 36th hour worked. For employment contracts based on total annual hours worked and entered into on or after February 1st 2000, overtime starts with the 1,600th hour.

The Law specified the impact of overtime on both companies and employees.

3. The Law laid down new arrangements for organizing working hours

The above arrangements, which have been worked out through collective bargaining, had to meet the needs of companies while strengthening guarantees for employees.

It included the following:

permitting working hours to be calculated annually; reducing the number of days worked each week; various options for part-time work; time worked savings accounts; special arrangements for managers, based on how independently they work; and provision for further skills training, to be dispensed in part during the hours released by the introduction of the 35 hour week.

4. The Law introduced new reliefs on employers' social security contributions

The new reliefs on employers' contributions not only attempted to distribute the financial burden of the cost of the transition to the 35 hour week, but also aimed to reduce the cost of employing low and medium paid staff, in order to stimulate growth in the number of jobs.

5. The Law created a wage guarantee for employees on the minimum wage

The guarantee was designed to prevent a fall in the real incomes of employees on the minimum wage whose working hours had been reduced, and in the long term to increase their purchasing power.