who would you switch to?

Guest Invicta_Toon

Guest Invicta_Toon

Vic is totally incapable of accepting that demanding that people treat his question as hypothetical will result in people doing exactly that and responding accordingly.

I don't see how the answer being hypothetical changes anything. I've no idea what you're on about here

You've given people a hypothetical situation.  They've tried to put themself in that situation and all they can picture is that they wouldn't switch to another team.  So they provide you with this hypothetical answer to your hypothetical question, and your response is "Rubbish!  That's not possible!  I don't believe you!"

I think the moral of this story is:  don't ask fucking stupid questions.

You've already given an answer, England or a favourite team. Why are you now backtracking?

Guest Gemmill

Vic is totally incapable of accepting that demanding that people treat his question as hypothetical will result in people doing exactly that and responding accordingly.

I don't see how the answer being hypothetical changes anything. I've no idea what you're on about here

You've given people a hypothetical situation.  They've tried to put themself in that situation and all they can picture is that they wouldn't switch to another team.  So they provide you with this hypothetical answer to your hypothetical question, and your response is "Rubbish!  That's not possible!  I don't believe you!"

I think the moral of this story is:  don't ask fucking stupid questions.

You've already given an answer, England or a favourite team. Why are you now backtracking?

:lol:  I haven't switched to them, Vic, I'm just watching them. 

I know of at least one club that has gone bust and dissapeared 20 years ago. I severly doubt any of their former supporters are still sat in the pub saying they don't follow a team

I've been following your arguments closely, and I'm of the opinion that since you're hypothetical is somewhat outside the square, you should also expect some answers to be outside the square too...

You've said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that people who say they don't support football are mocked as boring etc. But what if you turn it around and say something like "I don't follow football anymore, Shepherd killed my love for it"?

Because something very comparable happened to me in a different code. Born in a rugby league region, I followed league right up until the Super League War in 1995, at which time my club was forced to merge with our fiercest rivals (now just think about that for a second - we are talking on a Newcastle-Sunderland scale here). From that moment any love I had for the game died, I didn't ever watch another game again. When asked who I support, I adopt an aggressive bluster and say "Fuck League, Rupert (Murdoch) killed the game for me"

Which is why someone saying they would jack it in is not unreasonable - such a scenario as posited in your opening post would be enough to totally and absolutely kill someone's love for the game

What if someone said they'd start watching the Newcastle Vipers, Falcons or Eagles instead (I know a Sunderland season ticket holder who became disalusioned with football and now pours all his energy into following Durham CCC, for example - he claims this is because of the state of the game in general, not just because they were shit at the time.  Sure some people would be disallusioned if their favourite club vanished)  Would this also be completely crazy-wackedout-don't believe you stop lying of course you wouldn't stuff too?

Guest Invicta_Toon

I know of at least one club that has gone bust and dissapeared 20 years ago. I severly doubt any of their former supporters are still sat in the pub saying they don't follow a team

I've been following your arguments closely, and I'm of the opinion that since you're hypothetical is somewhat outside the square, you should also expect some answers to be outside the square too...

You've said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that people who say they don't support football are mocked as boring etc. But what if you turn it around and say something like "I don't follow football anymore, Shepherd killed my love for it"?

Because something very comparable happened to me in a different code. Born in a rugby league region, I followed league right up until the Super League War in 1995, at which time my club was forced to merge with our fiercest rivals (now just think about that for a second - we are talking on a Newcastle-Sunderland scale here). From that moment any love I had for the game died, I didn't ever watch another game again. When asked who I support, I adopt an aggressive bluster and say "Fuck League, Rupert (Murdoch) killed the game for me"

Which is why someone saying they would jack it in is not unreasonable - such a scenario as posited in your opening post would be enough to totally and absolutely kill someone's love for the game

hardly a common scenario though is it, only in a few pubs someone asking you who you support is going to mean Rugby League. And if i'm being honest, I can't see why you wouldn't grudgingly at the end of the day continue to support the merged team, if it's the only way the game survives. I't happening up here right now with Edinburgh/Glasgow/Borders. At the end of the day, you've probably just hastened the death of RL altogether

Guest KJA_NUFC

Reading the argument it seems what you really want to know is what teams people like as well as Newcastle. . .

I look at Carlisle's results and Im happy when they win same with Barcelona but I dont support them. When watching games as a neutral I try to work out what result is best for Newcastle and then choose who Im supporting based on that.

When it doesnt affect Newcastle at all I usually choose the team where I like a particular player or I just end up finding myself supporting one side regardless

However if there was no Newcastle no I wouldnt support another team in the same way, England matches would probably mean more but as this hasn't happened it is hard to say how anyone would REALLY react.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Reading the argument it seems what you really want to know is what teams people like as well as Newcastle. . .

I look at Carlisle's results and Im happy when they win same with Barcelona but I dont support them. When watching games as a neutral I try to work out what result is best for Newcastle and then choose who Im supporting based on that.

When it doesnt affect Newcastle at all I usually choose the team where I like a particular player or I just end up finding myself supporting one side regardless

However if there was no Newcastle no I wouldnt support another team in the same way, England matches would probably mean more but as this hasn't happened it is hard to say how anyone would REALLY react.

I like ManU as well as NUFC, but I don't think I could end up honestly following them and defending them to mates, so no, I don't think its the same as asking who else do you like

I like ManU as well as NUFC, but I don't think I could end up honestly following them and defending them to mates, so no, I don't think its the same as asking who else do you like

I suspect most wouldn't support another Premiership/Championship club. Except those fans not from Newcastle, whose link to NUFC is intangible anyway.

hardly a common scenario though is it, only in a few pubs someone asking you who you support is going to mean Rugby League. And if i'm being honest, I can't see why you wouldn't grudgingly at the end of the day continue to support the merged team, if it's the only way the game survives. I't happening up here right now with Edinburgh/Glasgow/Borders. At the end of the day, you've probably just hastened the death of RL altogether

Well, here in Australia (well, in the northern states anyway), if you don't follow league you can't hold a conversation in winter - it effects your social skills in exactly the same way not following football would in England :lol: Hence why I said it was comparable. Indeed, it was exactly why I had to develop the aggressive bluster - because people think you're a poof if you don't follow league!

And since this is a hypothetical thread - are you saying you would support a merged Newcastle-Sunderland club if it was forced on you? Not being a Geordie, I can only go on my assumptions, but I would have thought if that ever happened the entire city would turn their backs on the game and follow either league or union!

If the world was about to blow up? Which planet would you move to?

whats the situation with our moon? has it gone awol?

It's going to blow up too. Stick to the question.

Can we build a new Moon, and live there?

We can live on another moon, just not ours. I'd go for Titan.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Well, here in Australia (well, in the northern states anyway), if you don't follow league you can't hold a conversation in winter - it effects your social skills in exactly the same way not following football would in England :lol: Hence why I said it was comparable. Indeed, it was exactly why I had to develop the aggressive bluster - because people think you're a poof if you don't follow league!

And since this is a hypothetical thread - are you saying you would support a merged Newcastle-Sunderland club if it was forced on you? Not being a Geordie, I can only go on my assumptions, but I would have thought if that ever happened the entire city would turn their backs on the game and follow either league or union!

given a choice between a merged club or switching to Boro/Hartlepool/Whitley Bay/Blyth I would support the merged club. I think the directors would be banking on that aswell

the question being, where would they play and what would they be called?

given a choice between a merged club or switching to Boro/Hartlepool/Whitley Bay/Blyth I would support the merged club. I think the directors would be banking on that aswell

Nevergoingtohappen FC

Guest Invicta_Toon

Nevergoingtohappen FC

Hypothetical Academicals

We can live on another moon, just not ours. I'd go for Titan.

Fuck that. Methane lakes? Not for me. Also, its only the second biggest moon.

Ganymede for me. Jupiter is way cooler than Saturn anyway. tbh.

Well, obviously this is where my comparison breaks down - because in the RL situation I described the merged team alternated their home matches for the first season, then upped sticks and moved an hour north after that! And the name was a mish-mashed melding - so in football, something like North-East United FC!

Further to which, I think we're fundamentally opposed on this one, because if Freddy killed NUFC off I would be thoroughly disenchanted with the game - thinking that tradition and history were being killed in the name of a quick buck (ie as happened in my comparison).

You say in your opening post that you would adopt a team and even though you might not have the strength of feeling over many years you would consider yourself a supporter of that club. Well, I would probably feel the same way, except turning my affections towards another code, as opposed to another club. I wouldn't love another game as much as I love football, but I would come to like it...

Guest getalife

Because something very comparable happened to me in a different code. Born in a rugby league region, I followed league right up until the Super League War in 1995, at which time my club was forced to merge with our fiercest rivals (now just think about that for a second - we are talking on a Newcastle-Sunderland scale here). From that moment any love I had for the game died, I didn't ever watch another game again. When asked who I support, I adopt an aggressive bluster and say "f*** League, Rupert (Murdoch) killed the game for me"

I think I can hear your ma shoutin a'ye

Guest Invicta_Toon

Because something very comparable happened to me in a different code. Born in a rugby league region, I followed league right up until the Super League War in 1995, at which time my club was forced to merge with our fiercest rivals (now just think about that for a second - we are talking on a Newcastle-Sunderland scale here). From that moment any love I had for the game died, I didn't ever watch another game again. When asked who I support, I adopt an aggressive bluster and say "f*** League, Rupert (Murdoch) killed the game for me"

I think I can hear you ma shoutin a'ye

eh? who the fuck are you btw?

eh? who the fuck are you btw?

Don't go getting all deep and meaningful on us. Just make an inane, childish, misplaced jibe about how shit a poster he is, and defend Roeder a bit, there's a good lad.

Guest getalife

eh? who the f*** are you btw?

getalife, no, that's my name, but it sounds like it wouldn't do you much harm anyway.....