who would you switch to?

Guest Invicta_Toon

Guest Invicta_Toon

I know of at least one club that has gone bust and dissapeared 20 years ago. I severly doubt any of their former supporters are still sat in the pub saying they don't follow a team

I've been following your arguments closely, and I'm of the opinion that since you're hypothetical is somewhat outside the square, you should also expect some answers to be outside the square too...

You've said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that people who say they don't support football are mocked as boring etc. But what if you turn it around and say something like "I don't follow football anymore, Shepherd killed my love for it"?

Because something very comparable happened to me in a different code. Born in a rugby league region, I followed league right up until the Super League War in 1995, at which time my club was forced to merge with our fiercest rivals (now just think about that for a second - we are talking on a Newcastle-Sunderland scale here). From that moment any love I had for the game died, I didn't ever watch another game again. When asked who I support, I adopt an aggressive bluster and say "f*** League, Rupert (Murdoch) killed the game for me"

Which is why someone saying they would jack it in is not unreasonable - such a scenario as posited in your opening post would be enough to totally and absolutely kill someone's love for the game

hardly a common scenario though is it, only in a few pubs someone asking you who you support is going to mean Rugby League. And if i'm being honest, I can't see why you wouldn't grudgingly at the end of the day continue to support the merged team, if it's the only way the game survives. I't happening up here right now with Edinburgh/Glasgow/Borders. At the end of the day, you've probably just hastened the death of RL altogether

I think I can hear you ma shoutin a'ye

eh? who the fuck are you btw?

Don't go getting all deep and meaningful on us. Just make an inane, childish, misplaced jibe about how shit a poster he is, and defend Roeder a bit, there's a good lad.

You say that as if the last hunder posts you've made couldn't have been predicted. Gan on, give us another in depth adult analysis of Roeder...

Guest Invicta_Toon

I know of at least one club that has gone bust and dissapeared 20 years ago. I severly doubt any of their former supporters are still sat in the pub saying they don't follow a team

I've been following your arguments closely, and I'm of the opinion that since you're hypothetical is somewhat outside the square, you should also expect some answers to be outside the square too...

You've said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that people who say they don't support football are mocked as boring etc. But what if you turn it around and say something like "I don't follow football anymore, Shepherd killed my love for it"?

Because something very comparable happened to me in a different code. Born in a rugby league region, I followed league right up until the Super League War in 1995, at which time my club was forced to merge with our fiercest rivals (now just think about that for a second - we are talking on a Newcastle-Sunderland scale here). From that moment any love I had for the game died, I didn't ever watch another game again. When asked who I support, I adopt an aggressive bluster and say "f*** League, Rupert (Murdoch) killed the game for me"

Which is why someone saying they would jack it in is not unreasonable - such a scenario as posited in your opening post would be enough to totally and absolutely kill someone's love for the game

hardly a common scenario though is it, only in a few pubs someone asking you who you support is going to mean Rugby League. And if i'm being honest, I can't see why you wouldn't grudgingly at the end of the day continue to support the merged team, if it's the only way the game survives. I't happening up here right now with Edinburgh/Glasgow/Borders. At the end of the day, you've probably just hastened the death of RL altogether

I think I can hear you ma shoutin a'ye

eh? who the f*** are you btw?

getalife, no, that's my name, but it sounds like it wouldn't do you much harm anyway.....

no thanks. this place has it's full complement of one line wonders

Guest Immsy7

Would probably follow a local team. I have been to Villa games in the past but could no support them. Maybe West Brom. Probably someone like walsall though. As they have done nopthing to offend me as a Newcastle fan :D

If the world was about to blow up? Which planet would you move to?

whats the situation with our moon? has it gone awol?

It's going to blow up too. Stick to the question.

Can we build a new Moon, and live there?

We can live on another moon, just not ours. I'd go for Titan.

bugger. I reckon i'd goto Phobos.

Guest Invicta_Toon

If the world was about to blow up? Which planet would you move to?

whats the situation with our moon? has it gone awol?

It's going to blow up too. Stick to the question.

Can we build a new Moon, and live there?

We can live on another moon, just not ours. I'd go for Titan.

bugger. I reckon i'd goto Phobos.

when are you fuckers going to start talking wrestling? this moon shite is so last page

Guest teepee

I'd use it as the perfect excuse to sack football off and do something more constructive with my time/money.

the perfect reply imo - sometimes i'd love to distance myself from this shit.

What if someone said they'd start watching the Newcastle Vipers, Falcons or Eagles instead (I know a Sunderland season ticket holder who became disalusioned with football and now pours all his energy into following Durham CCC, for example - he claims this is because of the state of the game in general, not just because they were shit at the time.  Sure some people would be disallusioned if their favourite club vanished)  Would this also be completely crazy-wackedout-don't believe you stop lying of course you wouldn't stuff too?

Howay then cuntlugs, what's the answer?

Guest Invicta_Toon

What if someone said they'd start watching the Newcastle Vipers, Falcons or Eagles instead (I know a Sunderland season ticket holder who became disalusioned with football and now pours all his energy into following Durham CCC, for example - he claims this is because of the state of the game in general, not just because they were shit at the time.  Sure some people would be disallusioned if their favourite club vanished)  Would this also be completely crazy-wackedout-don't believe you stop lying of course you wouldn't stuff too?

It's certainly more feasible than someone claiming they would become comletely neutral for the next 20 years. Wouldn't do it myself, the sports are completely different.

I tried watching Championship football last week ( Ipswich ) and it was utter gash, so I would probably have to watch another club for pure footballing ability, something we have been starved of for some time now. Man Utd, ew didn`t like typing that.

It's certainly more feasible than someone claiming they would become comletely neutral for the next 20 years. Wouldn't do it myself, the sports are completely different.

So you accept that people could find other interests, while maintaining a passing interest in football without having to pledge loyalty to one team?

HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING

Say, Fat Fred announces tomorrow, he's had enough with the whinging fans and rather than selling the club, him and john hall are raising  SJP to the ground and selling the land for redevelopment because they could probably make more than what they could from selling the club. In an extrordinary move, the city council then subsequently bans any other club from setting up in the city, and in a last twist of the knife, FF takes all trademarks and naming rights to NUFC with him.

So before anyone gives it any s**** about never switching it's in the blood or any other s****, we are all football fans and know what it means to have a particular club, and while it would never be the same, you would eventually to a greater or lesser degree, be it after a year, or 20 years, start following/watching/supporting another club/s, if only to not to take up DIY. Anyone who claims otherwise is deluding themselves imho. Remember, NUFC is dust and will never rise again.

So, who would it be?

Premiership? Championship? Local team? Foreign team? Pub team? Womens team? National team?

Rarely has a kid had more time on his hands than you.

If the toon folded tomorrow, there'd be a replacement club, we'd be fast tracked to the Conference, and maybe even higher Fiorentina style.

If the toon was nuked and I was on holiday at the time, I don't think I'd support another team, I'd probably top mesel.

I tried watching Championship football last week ( Ipswich ) and it was utter gash, so I would probably have to watch another club for pure footballing ability, something we have been starved of for some time now. Man Utd, ew didn`t like typing that.

Ipswich 2007 are better than Newcastle 1991. 

Guest Invicta_Toon

So you accept that people could find other interests, while maintaining a passing interest in football without having to pledge loyalty to one team?

undecided. I honeslty hadn't considered if someone would do that, for the majority I don't think it would be an adequate replacement. Although last time I was at the Vipers, there was some cunt shouting and bawling his head off, he'd obviously switched as a replacement for football, but he was arguably no ice hockey fan at all. I still think forward to what would you exactly say in the pub surrounded by mates who support football. Again, cuntdom beckons imho

I can go to the pub surrounded by mates who support different clubs, in different leagues watching games which have no bearing on Newcastle United whatsoever and still watch a game and enjoy it without supporting one team over the other.  I don't see why that is hard to grasp or has anything to do with acting like a cunt.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I can go to the pub surrounded by mates who support different clubs, in different leagues watching games which have no bearing on Newcastle United whatsoever and still watch a game and enjoy it without supporting one team over the other.  I don't see why that is hard to grasp or has anything to do with acting like a cunt.

nowt to do with it

im still sticking with my Arsenal choice, but it'd be such a vague preference. I'm getting so bored of the modern game that I could fairly comfortably sack it all in. I blame KK, he gave me expectations of excitement in football.

Guest Gemmill

Vic, if all of the women in the world suddenly dropped dead, would you switch to bumming men?  I realise that as a virgin, this is difficult for you, but here - HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING - I even put it in capitals for you.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Vic, if all of the women in the world suddenly dropped dead, would you switch to bumming men?  I realise that as a virgin, this is difficult for you, but here - HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING - I even put it in capitals for you.

It's as likely as you sucking cock for money. So that'll be a yes then

you would start bumming blokes just because there were no living women? .......... gay.

Guest Gemmill

You would bum men then.  Interesting.

Guest Gemmill

you would start bumming blokes just because there were no living women? .......... gay.

The alternative is becoming the most boring c*nt in the pub apparently.  He wouldn't want that. :lol:

You would bum men then.  Interesting.

:lol:

The alternative is becoming the most boring c*nt in the pub apparently.  He wouldn't want that. :lol:

heaven forbid!

im sure i'd be able to entertain the whole of the vic with my necrophile capers tbh