Tyne-wear Derby

Guest M.J

Hi, there

I'm a Korean Newcastle fan. And there are about 1,000 fans in our Korean Newcastle fan forum. (ManU, they have over 35,000 fans in Korea due to Park, you know.  :()

Anyway, today I want to ask you about the Tyne-wear Derby:)

I've found some informations about it on the internet but Wikipedia gives me few words.

I'd like to know about the origin and some particular events(or incidents) btw two teams. (I already found some information about memorial matches and historical records.)

And also I'd like to know lyric of the songs which you always like to sing in derby match at SJP.

If you tell me about it, I really want to share it with my Korean fans.

Can anyone tell me about it, mates?

Thanks!  O0

Guest nufc_geordie

One older song for you:

"There's only one Kevin Phillips,

One Kevin Phillips,

With his packet of sweets and his cheeky smile,

Kevin Phillips is a very bad man"

I don't really approve of the above song, but i dont really remember hearing about it for KP.

The following songs were sang at the last 2 away games as sunderland had been relegated at the time

The old war song

"We'll meet again,

Don't know where,

Don't know when,

But I know we'll meet again some sunny day"

"Lets all laugh at sunderland

Lets alllaugh at sunderland

nananana nananana"

"You're just the worst team in history!"

Last season: "Geordie Boys are taking the piss"

More general

"Liam O'brian

Andy O'brian

Any any o'brian

Who put the ball in the mackems net?

O'brian, O'brian!"

There are loads of songs sang over the years though

for all it's true that years ago people some people would support both newcastle and them,more so those from the middle lands of hebburn ,jarrow etc(anyone ever heard of many from walker or the west end hopping off to joker park to support the black cats????)the rivalry is historic,there are stories about differing support during the civil war and a friends grandad hated mackems because of the amount of durham miners who worked through the general strike. even away from football they have always had a chip on their shoulders towards newcastle and we have played on it.

newcastle largest home defeat was by them,however we went on to win the league that season!(1908-09)

from a neutral point of view it's probably not the biggest derby in britain,but many think it's the hateful