Arsenal to appoint Director of Football.

Baggio

Wenger to pick football director 

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he will choose the candidate who will help him with player acquisitions following vice-chairman David Dein's departure.

Dein had played a key role in transfers and his duties will now be taken on by a new director of football - the first in the club's history.

"There will definitely be a director of football coming and it will definitely be my choice," Wenger said.

"At present I'm doing both jobs - the one David Dein used to do and my own."

Over the last 11 years Wenger and Dein established a formidable record in the transfer market, not only in terms of acquisitions and sales, but also in the worldwide scouting network the club set up.

"I was in a good position before because I would handle the football side and David would do the ugly stuff, the business," added Wenger.

"Now it's all down to me. It's difficult because that side of it is very time-consuming."

Dein left Arsenal last week over "irreconcilable differences" with other board members.

Meanwhile Wenger insists he is not opposed to foreign ownership of Arsenal as speculation continues a takeover move by American billionaire Stan Kroenke may be imminent.

Dein was forced off the board because of his support for Kroenke's increased involvement in Arsenal, which now stands at a 12.19% stake.

Chairman Peter Hill-Wood is vehemently opposed to a foreign takeover and Wenger was previously thought to prefer that the club stay in English hands.

But Wenger told the News of the World: "I'm not against foreign ownership of clubs, how could I?

"I'm a foreign manager and there are many foreign players at Arsenal and in the Premiership.

"But it has to be done in the right way. If it happens at Arsenal it would not mean I'd quit the club."

Dein is thought to be preparing to work with Kroenke to force a takeover of the club.

I was told that a good manager wouldn't need a Director of Football. :undecided:

Wenger to pick football director 

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he will choose the candidate who will help him with player acquisitions following vice-chairman David Dein's departure.

Dein had played a key role in transfers and his duties will now be taken on by a new director of football - the first in the club's history.

"There will definitely be a director of football coming and it will definitely be my choice," Wenger said.

"At present I'm doing both jobs - the one David Dein used to do and my own."

Over the last 11 years Wenger and Dein established a formidable record in the transfer market, not only in terms of acquisitions and sales, but also in the worldwide scouting network the club set up.

"I was in a good position before because I would handle the football side and David would do the ugly stuff, the business," added Wenger.

"Now it's all down to me. It's difficult because that side of it is very time-consuming."

Dein left Arsenal last week over "irreconcilable differences" with other board members.

Meanwhile Wenger insists he is not opposed to foreign ownership of Arsenal as speculation continues a takeover move by American billionaire Stan Kroenke may be imminent.

Dein was forced off the board because of his support for Kroenke's increased involvement in Arsenal, which now stands at a 12.19% stake.

Chairman Peter Hill-Wood is vehemently opposed to a foreign takeover and Wenger was previously thought to prefer that the club stay in English hands.

But Wenger told the News of the World: "I'm not against foreign ownership of clubs, how could I?

"I'm a foreign manager and there are many foreign players at Arsenal and in the Premiership.

"But it has to be done in the right way. If it happens at Arsenal it would not mean I'd quit the club."

Dein is thought to be preparing to work with Kroenke to force a takeover of the club.

I was told that a good manager wouldn't need a Director of Football. :undecided:

Wenger is a top class coach, all this means is that he will have somebody there to organize the clubs scouting, negotiating etc, so that he can focus on what he does best.

So we find out that the scouting thing if its going to be successful it needs to be done by 2 people

And both of them needs to be know what they are doing

Why im not surpriced that our club has done so shit with the scouting thing and signing good players

Even our manager doesnt know what he is doing

Guest NIToon

Been a few posts recently saying that great coaches don't need DOFs with Wenger quoted as an example. Does this mean he's been fooling us all giving him a different title.  About time we got one to help whoever replaces Roeder

Wenger given power to pick new director of football

Jeremy Wilson

Monday April 23, 2007

The Guardian

Arsène Wenger will be granted the freedom to mould his own managerial structure at Arsenal. The Arsenal board are prepared to give the Frenchman effective total control over football affairs and he has confirmed that he will appoint a director of football to help fill the void left by the departure of David Dein as vice-chairman last Wednesday.

"There will definitely be a director of football coming and it will definitely be my choice," Wenger said. "At present I'm doing both jobs - the one David Dein used to do and my own."

The autonomy being granted to Wenger will greatly improve the chances of him agreeing to extend his contract beyond 2008. He was unhappy that Dein left but is aware that he enjoys power not afforded to some managers at clubs of comparable size. Despite a disappointing season, he also believes he has a crop of young players who can challenge Manchester United and Chelsea in the next few years.

Previously Dein acted as a direct link between Wenger and the other directors, playing a key role in transfers and contract negotiations. With Wenger he was also the public face of the club and, over the past decade, they developed a worldwide scouting network which underpinned an excellent record in the transfer market.

Dein was also well connected at major European clubs as well as within Uefa and the FA. "I was in a good position before because I would handle the football side and David would do the ugly stuff, the business," said Wenger. "It's difficult because that side of it is very time-consuming."

Gérard Houllier, the former Liverpool manager, and Damien Comolli, the sporting director at Tottenham, have been linked with the new post of director of football.

Wenger given power to pick new director of football

Jeremy Wilson

Monday April 23, 2007

The Guardian

Arsène Wenger will be granted the freedom to mould his own managerial structure at Arsenal. The Arsenal board are prepared to give the Frenchman effective total control over football affairs and he has confirmed that he will appoint a director of football to help fill the void left by the departure of David Dein as vice-chairman last Wednesday.

"There will definitely be a director of football coming and it will definitely be my choice," Wenger said. "At present I'm doing both jobs - the one David Dein used to do and my own."

The autonomy being granted to Wenger will greatly improve the chances of him agreeing to extend his contract beyond 2008. He was unhappy that Dein left but is aware that he enjoys power not afforded to some managers at clubs of comparable size. Despite a disappointing season, he also believes he has a crop of young players who can challenge Manchester United and Chelsea in the next few years.

Previously Dein acted as a direct link between Wenger and the other directors, playing a key role in transfers and contract negotiations. With Wenger he was also the public face of the club and, over the past decade, they developed a worldwide scouting network which underpinned an excellent record in the transfer market.

Dein was also well connected at major European clubs as well as within Uefa and the FA. "I was in a good position before because I would handle the football side and David would do the ugly stuff, the business," said Wenger. "It's difficult because that side of it is very time-consuming."

Gérard Houllier, the former Liverpool manager, and Damien Comolli, the sporting director at Tottenham, have been linked with the new post of director of football.

Seems more likely to be Houllier:

Damien Comolli says he takes great pride in being part of the Club - from Dimitar Berbatov’s selection by his fellow professionals in the PFA Team of the Season to the continued development of our Academy players.

Damien described Dimitar’s honour as ‘a real achievement’ and added that he has been delighted with the progression at all levels this season, from the first team competing on all four fronts through to Under-16 players turning out for the reserves.

Speaking of Dimitar’s honour, announced on Sunday night, Damien commented: “I’m pleased the fans can watch a player like him play week in, week out and his attitude and commitment has been tremendous. He’s a winner and he passes that to the other players.

“This season we have proved that we have the depth and the quality to compete in all the competitions, including Europe, and it’s very positive we’ve been able to that.

“It’s a massive undertaking to try and compete in everything and if you look around Europe, there are not that many clubs who have done as well as we’ve done. We now have to look ahead and we are confident we can qualify for Europe again.

“In terms of the reserves and Academy, it’s great because all the players are playing above their age groups. We have Under-16s involved in the Under-18s, the Under-18s regularly playing for the reserves and even a couple of Under-16s in the reserves as well.”

And, with just four Premiership fixtures remaining this season, Damien is equally convinced that he’s here for the long term, happily dismissing any rumours to the contrary.

“I’m in a great project here at Tottenham, building something for the future with fantastic support from the Chairman, the board and a great relationship with Martin Jol and I think we are very, very close to the top level of the Premiership so I don’t know why I would want to go somewhere else, especially as I’m enjoying it so much. What I’m doing at Spurs is with passion so, for me, it’s not even an issue.” 

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/comollicomments230407.html

Guest Knightrider

Well he's done very well without one...

DOF I feel is a new fancy name for whoever comes in, it will be someone with more financial sense than footballing sense, with the media using popular names in their 2+2 = 5 way of theirs. I bet someone unheard of comes in.

Anyway, I'd rather have a Dein figure at my club than a DOF, and the very fact our Chairman isn't as good as Dein and does a lot of things a DOF does (badly), is the only reason you now want one yourself. That and using Spurs as a rather weak example, as on the pitch, they are hardly miles ahead of us are they.

How many other top managers have one? Man Utd have a top CEO, Gill, Liverpool have their top financial people, and Mourinho would rather theirs wasn't there.

I bet Wenger would have Dein back ahead of any DOF though.

DOF I feel is a new fancy name for whoever comes in, it will be someone with more financial sense than footballing sense, with the media using popular names in their 2+2 = 5 way of theirs. I bet someone unheard of comes in.

Anyway, I'd rather have a Dein figure at my club than a DOF, and the very fact our Chairman isn't as good as Dein and does a lot of things a DOF does (badly), is the only reason you now want one yourself. That and using Spurs as a rather weak example, as on the pitch, they are hardly miles ahead of us are they.

How many other top managers have one? Man Utd have a top CEO, Gill, Liverpool have their top financial people, and Mourinho would rather theirs wasn't there.

Actually, if you look at the big clubs in this country they either have a man with a deep knowledge of football running the club (Perry, Dein)  A DOF who has a deep knowledge of football helping a chairman who has little football knowledge (Levy and Comolli and soon to be the same set up at Arsenal)  or both (Kenyon and Arnesen) I'm not sure of the set up at Old Trafford but whatever it is he's had 20+ years to put it in place.

We on the other hand have Freddie Shepherd, a man who I think it's safe to say has little football knowledge.

As for Spurs hardly being miles in front of us, before they got a DOF they were miles behind us, even worse than we are now.

Guest Knightrider

Actually, if you look at the big clubs in this country they either have a man with a deep knowledge of football running the club (Perry, Dein)  A DOF who has a deep knowledge of football helping a chairman who has little football knowledge (Levy and Comolli and soon to be the same set up at Arsenal)  or both (Kenyon and Arnesen) I'm not sure of the set up at Old Trafford but whatever it is he's had 20+ years to put it in place.

We on the other hand have Freddie Shepherd, a man who I think it's safe to say has little football knowledge.

As for Spurs hardly being miles in front of us, before they got a DOF they were miles behind us, even worse than we are now.

Your last point isn't down to themselves or their DOF, but down to us more than anything. Or rather down to our Chairman and the managers he selects.

What would you rather have?

1: Great chairman + great manager.

2: Crap chairman + crap manager + but hey, a great DOF.

3: Crap chairman + good manager + good DOF.

Me, I'd pick number 1 all the time, proven success and tried and tested.

Your last point isn't down to themselves or their DOF, but down to us more than anything. Or rather down to our Chairman and the managers he selects.

It's not just down to us though, look at their club now compared to what it was 3 years ago, they've improved in every aspect from youth developement to scouting and it's down to both Arnesen and Comolli, you can't expect a manager to do it all in the modern game, Wenger even says that himself and makes a point of saying Dein done all the things a DOF would do.

As for your selecton, I'd prefer 4: Good chairman + good manager + good DOF.

I think HTT harps too much on the title . Wenger's stance on the need to appoint a director of football now that Dein has left just demonstrates that there isn't a great difference between a chief executive or a DoF or whatever you want to call the person. It's not so much the the job title that matters, but the job description. And in that regard all top teams have a "director of football" (or whatever you want to call him). Newcastle don't have one since Feddie Fletcher went and half of the board jobs are split between Freddie Shepherd himself and Mr. Vacant (http://nufc.com/2006-07html/geninfo.html)

Guest Knightrider

It's not just down to us though, look at their club now compared to what it was 3 years ago, they've improved in every aspect from youth developement to scouting and it's down to both Arnesen and Comolli, you can't expect a manager to do it all in the modern game, Wenger even says that himself and makes a point of saying Dein done all the things a DOF would do.

As for your selecton, I'd prefer 4: Good chairman + good manager + good DOF.

They have improved in every aspect, but where it matters - on the pitch - they are not a million miles away from us, despite their DOF. Of course, time will always tell so who knows what the future holds for Spurs.

I knew you'd choose what you did, but can you point to a successful club that has all 3, that has been a tried and tested example here in the UK?

There isn't a club that has all three.

BTW, just playing devils advocate here a bit  as I'm not convinced at all, but there is without doubt, logic behind such a role within a football club, I'm just not so sure it will lead to success, not over tried and tested methods anyway and I know for a fact it would never work here not with FS as chairman.

I think HTT harps too much on the title . Wenger's stance on the need to appoint a director of football now that Dein has left just demonstrates that there isn't a great difference between a chief executive or a DoF or whatever you want to call the person. It's not so much the the job title that matters, but the job description. And in that regard all top teams have a "director of football" (or whatever you want to call him). Newcastle don't have one since Feddie Fletcher went and half of the board jobs are split between Freddie Shepherd himself and Mr. Vacant (http://nufc.com/2006-07html/geninfo.html)

:clap:

Guest Knightrider

I have noticed that myself, I am aware all clubs, even we do, have in one form or another, a DOF. FS is our DOF (and Chairman, fat greedy bastard etc.) I did say further above that Arsenal won't be appointing a DOF as such, which I aknowledged was a fany title more than anything. But the one that Baggio seems to base his views on or advocates is the European DOF which is what Spurs have, no? I.e. someone who is directing the football, someone who will not have any say on the financial side of things, like who to give contracts to, what wages to pay, how much to spend in the transfer window etc. Just someone who looks after scouting, coaching and other football aspects below the actual manager and his staff.

Only Spurs and Chelsea here in the UK have a true DOF in that case, then.

we've had FF as chief exec and gordon milne was a director of football when Robson was manager. now we've got neither, though we did appoint steve walton as a chief exec recently, but i think this is more to oversee the sjp property developments. the more control is taken out of Shepherd's hands the better imo.

They have improved in every aspect, but where it matters - on the pitch - they are not a million miles away from us, despite their DOF. Of course, time will always tell so who knows what the future holds for Spurs.

I agree, on the pitch they are hardly a million miles away from us but it just isn't about that is it? Having a great youth set up is only the start, if you think of all the money this club has blown on players in the past because there has been little or no scouting done on that individual, now think how much better we would have saved if we had a scouting system that could track players over a length of time rather than going for big name players all the time.

I knew you'd choose what you did, but can you point to a successful club that has all 3, that has been a tried and tested example here in the UK?

Without wanting to give NE5 an orgasm/heart attack, I don't think Shepherd is that bad, he just hasn't got a clue about modern football and how a club should be ran in 2007, the bloke clearly has ambition and the clubs best interest at heart yet he often fucks up with managerial appointments and sticking his nose where it's not needed, I'd be happy if Shepherd took a step back from the football side of things and employed a DOF/Technical director to take care of all that, leaving him to do run the financial side of things, like it was in the early days under this board with Fletcher on board.

BTW, just playing devils advocate here a bit  as I'm not convinced at all, but there is without doubt in the logic behind such a role within a football club, I'm just not so sure it will lead to success, not over tried and tested methods anyway and I know for a fact it would never work here not with FS as chairman.

It may or may not work with Shepherd but it's something that needs to be looked at, the fact that Sir John Hall has said it's being talked about at board level is encouraging. :thup:

I have noticed that myself, I am aware all clubs, even we do, have in one form or another, a DOF. FS is our DOF (and Chairman, fat greedy b****** etc.) I did say further above that Arsenal won't be appointing a DOF as such, which I aknowledged was a fany title more than anything. But the one that Baggio seems to base his views on or advocates is the European DOF which is what Spurs have, no? I.e. someone who is directing the football, someone who will not have any say on the financial side of things, like who to give contracts to, what wages to pay, how much to spend in the transfer window etc. Just someone who looks after scouting, coaching and other football aspects below the actual manager and his staff.

Don't know if you can call it the "European DOF". If I look at Jormany and take the director's of football from Bayern (Hoeneß) and Bremen (Allofs) then they are very much involved in the financial side of things. On the other hand I wouldn't say that the likes of Kenyon or Dein aren't/weren't involved in the football sides of things with developing strategies on how to improve on the field. In the end Dein's major strategic decision in that respect was to appoint Wenger...

Guest Knightrider

I have noticed that myself, I am aware all clubs, even we do, have in one form or another, a DOF. FS is our DOF (and Chairman, fat greedy b****** etc.) I did say further above that Arsenal won't be appointing a DOF as such, which I aknowledged was a fany title more than anything. But the one that Baggio seems to base his views on or advocates is the European DOF which is what Spurs have, no? I.e. someone who is directing the football, someone who will not have any say on the financial side of things, like who to give contracts to, what wages to pay, how much to spend in the transfer window etc. Just someone who looks after scouting, coaching and other football aspects below the actual manager and his staff.

Don't know if you can call it the "European DOF". If I look at Jormany and take the director's of football from Bayern (Hoeneß) and Bremen (Allofs) then they are very much involved in the financial side of things. On the other hand I wouldn't say that the likes of Kenyon or Dein aren't/weren't involved in the football sides of things with developing strategies on how to improve on the field. In the end Dein's major strategic decision in that respect was to appoint Wenger...

Is Hoeneß called a DOF in Germany? Or do they call them Technical/Sporting Directors? I must say I haven't heard the word DOF branded about that often in European football if I'm honest, so it seems it could well be an English working title if you like for a foreign concept. I've only really been aware of DOF in the last few years, when David Pleat was appointed as one at Spurs.

Guest Knightrider

I agree, on the pitch they are hardly a million miles away from us but it just isn't about that is it? Having a great youth set up is only the start, if you think of all the money this club has blown on players in the past because there has been little or no scouting done on that individual, now think how much better we would have saved if we had a scouting system that could track players over a length of time rather than going for big name players all the time.

Without wanting to give NE5 an orgasm/heart attack, I don't think Shepherd is that bad, he just hasn't got a clue about modern football and how a club should be ran in 2007, the bloke clearly has ambition and the clubs best interest at heart yet he often fucks up with managerial appointments and sticking his nose where it's not needed, I'd be happy if Shepherd took a step back from the football side of things and employed a DOF/Technical director to take care of all that, leaving him to do run the financial side of things, like it was in the early days under this board with Fletcher on board.

BTW, just playing devils advocate here a bit  as I'm not convinced at all, but there is without doubt in the logic behind such a role within a football club, I'm just not so sure it will lead to success, not over tried and tested methods anyway and I know for a fact it would never work here not with FS as chairman.

It may or may not work with Shepherd but it's something that needs to be looked at, the fact that Sir John Hall has said it's being talked about at board level is encouraging. :thup:

Fair enough Baggio, I actually wouldn't be adverse to one here at NUFC given our state and would be quite interested to see what kind of an impact such a figure could have. I guess I'm just a bit of an old  traditionalist in a way and fearful that a DOF (as I understand one to be) would over egg things or get in the way of things. Everytime I hear managers talk about DOFs they all seem fearful of one and many stories involving DOFs seem to be negative ones. "He's after my job", "He's trying to undermine me", "manager and DOF don't see eye to eye".

But what the heck, why not.

While we are here, I advocate the following:

Private Owners - people like the people who own Arsenal and Liverpool or did and like the Glazers who own the club, but don't run it.

CEO - A Gill, Dien, Kenyon figure who oversee the entire club operation outside of the football end.

DOF - Not for finances though, just football, someone who has to be picked by the manager. What I would fear then though, is if the manager leaves, so does the DOF and if not, the new man doesn't get on with the DOF. The other way bothers me too. Club hire DOF to work with manager, manager OK with that, but doesnt get on with DOF and the twos ideas aren't the same.

Under him - Youth Academy Director - doesn't need explained. Again, the manager must pick this person. This person must also be able to work with DOF.

Technical Adminstrator - Someone who deals with the medical, technology and science side of football. To setup and run in house medical, technology and science centres to aid the club like what Real Madrid have and we were interested in under KK/SJH.

Manager - a good one this time.

That would be us modernised ;)

Is Hoeneß called a DOF in Germany? Or do they call them Technical/Sporting Directors? I must say I haven't heard the word DOF branded about that often in European football if I'm honest, so it seems it could well be an English working title if you like for a foreign concept. I've only really been aware of DOF in the last few years, when David Pleat was appointed as one at Spurs.

The German titles are totally different. Hoeneß is called "manager", which not the same as the English manager and I've read the translation to "director of football" a couple of times. The terms "Sportdirektor, Technischer Direktor" etc. can all be found as well. But there you see that the actual job title doesn't matter, but what the person's job really is...

Guest Knightrider

Wasn't Mick Wadsworth basically our version of that for a couple of seasons?

Lookay, Baggio is slowly winning me over, but bringing up Wadsworth is like shouting to a kid who nearly drowned, but is now dipping his toes into the water, SHARK!