So, Big Sam Takes The Toon Job

Crumpy Gunt

Guest mishka17

no Allardyce at Newcastle. The Chronicle posted article, which says that Roeder's gonna be at st. james park next season... fat fred was on training ground, to talk with glenn about next transfer moves etc etc. I've read all that stuff on polish website

Gejon's not gonna like this.

I've also read that it's a 100% truth. it's going to be a funny summer

no Allardyce at Newcastle. The Chronicle posted article, which says that Roeder's gonna be at st. james park next season... fat fred was on training ground, to talk with glenn about next transfer moves etc etc. I've read all that stuff on polish website

Gejon's not gonna like this.

I've also read that it's a 100% truth. it's going to be a funny summer

Funny? Not the word i would of used

Next season (hypothetical just now I know)

His 1st move is to sleep with your mother and break up your parents' marriage.

How would you react?

He must be pretty minted, would I get any money in this hypothetical scenario?

Only if you watch him do your mam. 

Any midgets involved? (little Sam).

i'm actually quite surprised that so many seem to think Jussi is in the same league as Shay

i'm not a massive Given fan but he's streets ahead of Jaskelinen

What facets of Shay's goalkeeping makes him streets ahead?

better shot-stopper, Jussi seems to be king of the hollywood save

Jussi's handling isn't as good as Shay's

more consistant, very rarely do we see Shay make mistakes

Better shot-stopper is arguable, fairly similar imo.

Handling? What like on crosses and corners?

Shay doesn't make huge clangers but he also takes very few risks which doesn't help the defence.

Our defence is s*** which dosen't help Shay.

Got to agree with dinho on this. Shay is class woulden't swap him for any other keeper, its unbelievably clear to me that it is our defence that is poor.

This whole Given as a great shot stopper thing is a self perpetuating myth based on the other myth that our defense is one of the worst in the premiership. His shots/goal ratio stats show he's average at best within the premiership. This season his injuries have allowed Harper to show he's not even the best shot stopper at the club.

Given

Minutes Played: 1791

Goals Conceeded: 26

Saves Made:        71

Shots per goal:    3.7

Minutes per goal: 68.9

Harper

Minutes Played: 1265

Goals Conceeded: 15

Saves Made:        50

Shots per goal:    4.3

Minutes per goal: 84.3

i'm actually quite surprised that so many seem to think Jussi is in the same league as Shay

i'm not a massive Given fan but he's streets ahead of Jaskelinen

What facets of Shay's goalkeeping makes him streets ahead?

better shot-stopper, Jussi seems to be king of the hollywood save

Jussi's handling isn't as good as Shay's

more consistant, very rarely do we see Shay make mistakes

Better shot-stopper is arguable, fairly similar imo.

Handling? What like on crosses and corners?

Shay doesn't make huge clangers but he also takes very few risks which doesn't help the defence.

Our defence is s*** which dosen't help Shay.

Got to agree with dinho on this. Shay is class woulden't swap him for any other keeper, its unbelievably clear to me that it is our defence that is poor.

This whole Given as a great shot stopper thing is a self perpetuating myth based on the other myth that our defense is one of the worst in the premiership. His shots/goal ratio stats show he's average at best within the premiership. This season his injuries have allowed Harper to show he's not even the best shot stopper at the club.

Given

Minutes Played: 1791

Goals Conceeded: 26

Saves Made:        71

Shots per goal:    3.7

Minutes per goal: 68.9

Harper

Minutes Played: 1265

Goals Conceeded: 15

Saves Made:        50

Shots per goal:    4.3

Minutes per goal: 84.3

I don't need stats to tell me Shay is the better keeper. Shots to goals ratio against a keeper isn't exactly the most solid foundation for rating them really is it? Henry has one of the worst shot to goal ratio for any striker in the premiership this season, does that mean Kevin Doyle is a better striker? (His is one of the best).

I don't need stats to tell me Shay is the better keeper. Shots to goals ratio against a keeper isn't exactly the most solid foundation for rating them really is it? Henry has one of the worst shot to goal ratio for any striker in the premiership this season, does that mean Kevin Doyle is a better striker? (His is one of the best).

Better keeper isn't the issue being addressed with those stats, merely the "great shot stopper" myth.

Guest Gemmill

The good shot-stopper thing is really just a way of saying "lacking in other areas of the game" though isn't it?  Like commanding his area etc.  At the same time though, he does save an awful lot of the stuff that comes his way, stuff that would get past a lot of keepers.

Guest Gemmill

Well he is a great stopper, quite clearly.

Do those stats take into account anything like who is taking the shot or where the ball is being placed? Didn't think so.

Aye if the shots are from 6 yards after they've ghosted through the holes in our swiss cheese defence, it's not a fair measure of whether someone is a good shot-stopper.

Guest graemeh72

Agree with Gemmill in that these stats don't take other key goalkeeping atributes into account - distribution, organising the back 4, commanding area and arranging walls etc.

For what its worth I wonder what Jussi's "shot stopper" stats would be if he had to play behind Bramble every week?

Shudder