Sam Allardyce Scenario - Q & A

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Assuming Sam Allardyce is indeed appointed as our new manager ...

1. How much time are you willing to give him before you demand success?

2 years at least. Allardyce has got ample track record for me to judge and believe that he is one of the managers who could steer our club towards the right direction. Even if in these 2 years we are just struggling about midtable like SBR's first 2 years.

2. What's the target you set for him?

Establishing the club as a firm top 6 club.

3. If we play ugly, but get results, are you happy? If we play ugly, yet results are not good, will you still be happy?

I don't care whether we are aesthetically pleasing, as long as we get results. I won't slate Allardyce just because his team play ugly. As long as the team is forward minded (even long ball forward), like Bolton.

4. If Sam Allardyce decides to pick a fight (verbal or whatever) with someone (FA, Arsene Wenger, Roy Keane, Freddy Shepherd), will you support him?

No, never like anyone picking a fight with someone else. But enjoy such entertainments as always.

5. Will you applaud the board if the appointment of Sam Allardyce turns out to be a good one, eventually?

No. The board have messed up too often too frequent. If Sam is good, it is the Law of Average. If Sam is bad, it is the Law of Stupid Shepherd.

6. Will you slag the board, if the appointment of Sam Allardyce turns out to be a sad tradegy?

Yes. Throughout the years we have had

7. If Sam Allardyce turns out to be a success, will you gloat that you have always wanted him to be our manager?

No, I have always prefered someone else (Le Guen, Hughes, Keane, Boothroyd, Lippi, Sachi) to Allardyce. Allardyce would be a decent choice I am more than happy with with but I still won't take the credit for "recommending" him.

8. If Sam Allardyce does not turn out to be a success, will you gloat that you have always NOT wanted him to be our manager?

No, as I said, I am happy with the appointment of Sam Allardyce. Not my favourite but I don't dislike him.

9. Does it matter if Allardyce's recruitments are mainly foreigners, regardless if he delivers results?

As long as his recruitment doesn't come at the expense of our academy, it doesn't matter. I am neither racist, nor nationalist.

10. Will you be happy to trust the club's sizable (assumption) on Allardyce's hand?

Yes.

7. If Sam Allardyce turns out to be a success, will you gloat that you have always wanted him to be our manager?

No, I have always prefered someone else (Le Guen, Hughes, Keane, Boothroyd, Lippi, Sachi) to Allardyce. Allardyce would be a decent choice I am more than happy with with but I still won't take the credit for "recommending" him.

Jesus.

Guest TheOrder

Jesus.

piss take, surely? :D

Jesus.

piss take, surely? :D

No, i doubt it.

Guest Hodgson09

Answer to all questions What about Shearer?

He will be manager one day soon, why not now?

Shearer, Shearer, Shearer. Gotta miss that sound ringing around the ground.

Answer to all questions What about Shearer?

He will be manager one day soon, why not now?

Shearer, Shearer, Shearer. Gotta miss that sound ringing around the ground.

:lol: You have to be joking man. The mud on his boots isn't even dry yet.

Guest Hodgson09

I must be completely delirious from the crap that has been served up to us week in week out.

Deep down everyone knows they want Shearer, and it will be him, Shearer Shearer Shearer

I must be completely delirious from the crap that has been served up to us week in week out.

Deep down everyone knows they want Shearer, and it will be him, Shearer Shearer Shearer

Clinging on to this idea that Shearer is going to fly into St James Park like Superman and save the club from the mess that it is in is delirious.  Who is to say that he will do a decent  job, he might be the same as Roeder?!?

Its time to cut this pipe dream and apppoint a manager who will atleast make us difficult to beat, wont buckle and wont fall to bits after a going a goal down.

We have seen to much sh!t this season to go for an unproven manager.  Lets make a sensible decision for once, one that is not based on past affection.

I'd give him 2 seasons to get us into the top six.

A championsleague club in 4 years.

3. If we play ugly, but get results, are you happy? If we play ugly, yet results are not good, will you still be happy?

Roeder = ugly football + bad results, Sam = ugly football + good results,

I chose Sam.

4. If Sam Allardyce decides to pick a fight (verbal or whatever) with someone (FA, Arsene Wenger, Roy Keane, Freddy Shepherd), will you support him?

A fiery manager is good, as long as he doesn't make the club a laughing stock.

5. Will you applaud the board if the appointment of Sam Allardyce turns out to be a good one, eventually?

Yes, it shows that they at least have some ambition, instead of keeping ordinary Roeder.

6. Will you slag the board, if the appointment of Sam Allardyce turns out to be a sad tradegy?

No, our club needs to be rebuilt top to bottom , we need stablity so we can recover from the Souness age, but this stabilising process shouldn't be under Roeder, I'd much prefer Sam.

To be honest I'd prefer SGE, though he made England play horrible, I think he might bring some gloss to our general play on the field.

8. If Sam Allardyce does not turn out to be a success, will you gloat that you have always NOT wanted him to be our manager?

No, I'd just be lost on why Sam didn't work out.

9. Does it matter if Allardyce's recruitments are mainly foreigners, regardless if he delivers results?

I'd rather  have Sam pick out class foreigners for cheap than bring in English teenagers at heavily inflated prices. (Like Shaun Wright Phillips style.)

10. Will you be happy to trust the club's sizable (assumption) on Allardyce's hand?

Yes I think he can lead us through a good stablising process where we become a top 6 club, then onto an in-and-out champions league club, I believe after a good five years with Alladryce, we can become big enough to attract a world-class manager to lead us to glory from there.

Guest Gemmill

As long as we are moving in the right direction, time isn't really a factor.  It's when you're going nowhere/backwards that you need to start to put an end-limit on how much you can afford to take.

Perennial top 6/CL semi-regulars.

All that matters is winning.  There is a big difference between organised, well-drilled, winning football which can be unattractive, and what we have been playing for seasons now, which is poor, losing football.  I'll take winning every day of the week.

Depends who's in the right.

If Shepherd ditches Roeder and gets Allardyce in early on this summer, then he would deserve credit for acting swiftly to try and put things right, and for recognising that Roeder wasn't working out.  Definitely.

No because Allardyce is the right man at the right time.  I don't slag the board for Dalglish or Gullit.

No because I'm not a cock.  And because I haven't.

Fuck off man.

This is getting silly now.

Will you be happy to rephrase this question so that it makes sense?

Im sure that Allardyce will start getting results right from the begining.His tough hand and excellent management ability will soon transform our club from disorganized,no style of play,wrong team selection,poor motivation of players to very well organized,tough defensive side with motivated players from whom he can get 100%.I'll give him 2-3 season before i ask for something big-like place in the top 4.He should be given that time to make his own signings,to get used with players,with the club and to make this team play like he wants.

As lons as i see that we are going in the right direction when it comes to playing organized football,we are hard to beat,getting results,im willing to give him time(more then 2 seasons) to build good side capable of breaking into the top 4.

Bolton dont play ugly football,they play as well organized team who is hard to beat with alot of physical presence.

We wont play ugly football under Allardyce and we will get results.

It depends who is right in the situation and who is not.

Yes,because they will see that this club is going backwards under Roeder and Allardyce is good option considering his successful job at Bolton.

No,because its not going to be their fault.There are no reasons why we should think that Allardyce will fail here.Nevertheless everything is possible in life.

I never wanted him to be our manager.I just think that considering the current situation he is one of the best possible choices.

see the previous question.

I just hope that the board backs him with good transfer kitty so he can build his own squad of players.He proved everyone that one of his best qualities is to bring cheap,old,forgoten,unfamous players and to make them play the best form in their lifes

?

Guest Brewcastle

It looks here like Allardyce is the only candidate to replace Roeder -  :nope:. Why panic and grab the first manager media link to NUFC? Before an important decision as this more candidates have to be checked. It's a dutchman out there who can be aviable the next weeks. OK, NUFC haven't the best experience with a Dutch manager. But in my opinion it's worth to take a look at Ronald Koeman :coolsmiley:. This is from the PSV homepage:  [....]Newspapers extensively published reports about the crisis at PSV and questions were raised about an alleged discord between Koeman and the players, but also between Koeman and the club’s chairman. “I have read a great many stories the past few weeks. If they had been true, I don’t think we would have performed as well as we have done today. I am awfully proud of our players and I am delighted with the way they battled today. I also enjoy doing my job here Eindhoven. I have indicated I would like to stay with PSV next season as well, but other people will eventually decide my fate. I hope that this issue will be clarified soon.”[....]

http://english.psv.nl/web/show/id=58980/contentid=20828

Koeman have international experience as player and manager. As a player he was a defender who did score many goals. NUFC needs focus on both!

Guest graemeh72

Demand success from the start - the League Cup is winnable every year - its just a mindset thing.

UEFA is winnable in year 2

Top 4 within 3 years.

Top 4 - Thats we he wants and thats what we want - no point fannying around with Top 6 targets.

I'd like to think that playing ugly (or smart) at Bolton was due to his inability to get the right players within his budget. I'd like to think that we'd give him money to get good talented players who could play attractive and "smart" football

I'd listen to both sides of the argument and base my decision on rationale thought

No. In my opinion for a club to be successful it needs 3 things 1) Good Players, 2) A good manager and 3) To be a good well run business.

The board regularly fail on the 3rd - I'll applaud them when they get that right.

6. Will you slag the board, if the appointment of Sam Allardyce turns out to be a sad tragedy?

Depends on the circumstances

No, if he's a success then he'll take the England job and I'll be pissed off

No Souness was totally unique in that sense

No

Sort of..

I'd like to see a background person overseeing and approving all club transfers, to ensure that they are in the best interests of the club.

Every manager makestransfers blunders but Luque and Boumsong for example are situations that should never happen again.

But hey, even Fergie and Bobby get signings wrong

It looks here like Allardyce is the only candidate to replace Roeder -  :nope:. Why panic and grab the first manager media link to NUFC? Before an important decision as this more candidates have to be checked. It's a dutchman out there who can be aviable the next weeks. OK, NUFC haven't the best experience with a Dutch manager. But in my opinion it's worth to take a look at Ronald Koeman :coolsmiley:. This is from the PSV homepage:   [....]Newspapers extensively published reports about the crisis at PSV and questions were raised about an alleged discord between Koeman and the players, but also between Koeman and the club’s chairman. “I have read a great many stories the past few weeks. If they had been true, I don’t think we would have performed as well as we have done today. I am awfully proud of our players and I am delighted with the way they battled today. I also enjoy doing my job here Eindhoven. I have indicated I would like to stay with PSV next season as well, but other people will eventually decide my fate. I hope that this issue will be clarified soon.”[....]

http://english.psv.nl/web/show/id=58980/contentid=20828

Koeman have international experience as player and manager. As a player he was a defender who did score many goals. NUFC needs focus on both!

I rate Koeman very much and i think he is very good young coach but i doubt that if Shepherd intends to replace Roeder to be with someone different then Sam Allardyce especially when now he is available

A good manager will show within a few months that he is such - not necessarily by immediately threatening the top 6, but by the way he goes about things - new players, tactics, team selection, getting rid of the rubbish, etc. If he does that, and proves that he is good enough in the first instance, he should get a couple of seasons to have a crack at it.

Establishing us as a permanent top 6 team,who with a bit of luck could maybe even challenge for 4th. I think that is the level he should be aiming at as a manager, and its the position from which we shoudl then be looking to get a great manager.

Its a common but surprising misconception that people who claim to watch football, and feel they have the right to comment on it, say that Bolton play ugly. They play PHYSICAL when they have to, and they don't give up. but 'ugly'? No.

That depends on the context. Only a moron would blindly support someone just because they play for/manage NUFC, if they are in the wrong.

Yes. If they get stick for fucking up, they should get praise for doing well. Also, the tone of the question is rubbish...."eventually"? No-one knows how fast he'd turn out to be a good appointment, if at all. To assume it would be "eventual" is wrong.

Depends. If he is given the right backing, and the right players, and royally fucks it up, then they got the wrong man again, so they'd deserve criticism.

I haven't always wanted him. I'd rather have others, but as our manager is the worst in the league, he's a far better option currently.

No, thats a fucking stupid question. But i woudl state that i wanted someone else.

No.

That question makes fuck all sense.

He will need time, but as long as there are fairly speedy signs of improvement then I think he'll be given enough time to further improve things here if he does come. There are a lot of fundamentals wrong with the club/squad/staff at the minute and there are probably a lot of things, simple things, that Allardyce could do from a fairly early time that would swing the mood into a more optimistic one. Even if a lot of his action is merely talk/planning at the outset, as long as he delivers some feasable manifesto that goes hand-in-hand with what the majority think to be best for NUFC then I think he'd be given at least a season or two. He'd have to go some stretch to do worse than this season, mind.

Within a few seasons, if we'd continued to spend fairly big, then we simply have to be looking at challenging Tottenham for 5th - in reality the gap is tiny when compared to the gap between us and the current "top four". Even this season, with Roeder in charge, I can't help but feel we'd have been right up there had we not have been "crippled" by the infamous injuries. Despite us all being fed-up of hearing about it, you simply cannot compensate for missing your best striker (and one of the world's best) for an entire season of football. If Spurs had been without Berbatov, or Blackburn without McCarthy, then they'd be lower/as low than/as us in the table right now. I know it's an easy get-out, but it is a massive factor in how poor this season has been. Still doesn't change the fact that Roeder hasn't done enough on any other fronts to prove he's the right man for the job. He's as clueless as Souness from what I can see. However, you don't get any prizes for 5th, so it would be nice if within 2/3 seasons we were pushing for Champions' League football.

I'm not sure if we've played anything other than "ugly" since towards the end of Bobby Robson's reign at the club and so I'm not sure if anything would really change? I'm expecting by "ugly" you mean direct/long-ball, two tactics that are FAR from ugly to watch when they're causing the opposition numerous problems and causing you to bang the goals in home/away. I cannot see how Allardyce could have us playing any worse or have us any more disorganised than Roeder has this season. To me, being disjointed and disorganised and playing in spells of 10 minutes of good football a game, being generous, is more ugly than playing to a direct gameplan and reaping the rewards of it. People are quick to forget that three of our four best Premiership seasons have come with a fairly direct style of football in tow. We have enough quality footballers at the club to make it so that it won't be purely God-awful anyway.

Well this is fairly ambiguous because it would depend on who was in the right, but if he's fighting his/our corner then it would be madness not to support him.

Of course I will. They don't have an easy job, contrary to popular belief, and if they get the appointment after Roeder right (no matter how obvious it is) and then allow for a massive upheavel of club "strategy" (if we have one) and adhere to a Sam-led change of tact/direction then they will undoubtedly deserve credit for finally realising the error of their ways. I stand by the belief that a leopard doesn't change it's spots and I cannot see Allardyce having the freedom here that he did at Bolton under Gartside, which does worry me if he does end up here, but surely Shepherd realises it's getting to the point of boom or bust now. Say what you want about the Fat Man, but he'll probably be far more flexible now that it's beginning to be his neck on the line than he ever has been in the past.

Again, it depends on how things go. If Shepherd appoints Allardyce and gives him cash and allows him free reign to do things EXACTLY as he did at Bolton (he pays the wages for massive numbers of new techniques and new backroom staff) and he allows Sam to bring in the players he wants to bring in within the budget, then how can we possibly slag the Board off for that? In that respect they would have done everything in their power to make Allardyce a success at the club and surely they couldn't be slagged further for it. However, if Allardyce was appointed and WAS NOT given some "slack on the lead" as to tackle the job in his way that was successful at Bolton then I'd be at the end of my tether with the current board myself. If Allardyce is brought in, he has to be fully supported if he wants to completely change the structure/philosophy of the club on a squad/staff level.

Well, probably, if there are some mongs who jump on the bandwagon when they've never supported Allardyce in the past. It's been clear for quite a long time now that Sam Allardyce would be a great solution to the current problems at NUFC if he was brought here and given instructions to "fix" the problems that have blighted us in recent seasons. Too many people think Bolton play shite football and are an ugly team without any real experience of them. There's no doubt that Allardyce has been a wanker in the past and probably still is a wanker today, but at least he'd be our wanker.

Erm, probably not, because this message board has a fairly useful "search" function that could cause me some problems if I did.

No, of course not. The squad is already massively pro-English and a lot of the English players we do have are as mercenary as they come, at times. I'd like it if we kept an English spine to the side, if at all possible, in regards to having at least one English/British/Irish player in the key areas of the field (GK, CB, CM, CF) but I couldn't complain if we were bringing in foreign players who: A) cost less than their British counterparts. B) were better footballers than their British counterparts and C) wanted to play for NUFC more than their British counterparts. The problem comes, and always has done, when people sign foreigners for the wrong reasons and when the player themselves is no better than someone they could have had for the same money from the same shores.

If this means what I think it does, in being that will I trust the club in thinking that Allardyce could change the philosophy/structure of the club for the better and backing him with staff/cash/players, then of course I'd be happy. Shepherd knows the appointment after Roeder has to be a good one and I think/hope if it is Allardyce that he'll be given his due from the board/club and that they support him in every which way. If it goes wrong, it goes wrong, but if this does happen it HAS to happen after the board/club has given them support in every aspect of his job. Too many times we've seen managers hung out to dry by the current regime, it cannot be allowed to happen again, not this time.

As long as we are making progress both on the field and behind the scenes I don't mind how long it takes. The thing with Allardyce is that he gives you some hope that he would do well by his track record. There's some logic behind his appointment, the same would be true with some other managers who have been mentioned. I would not want SGE but I could see why someone would. I would not want Shearer as manager yet but if he was I would have hope in that he could improve as he learnt his trade. With the last two managers I could not see any reason for appointing them and there was no way they were going improve.

Depends on what the other clubs are doing. For example for the last two seasons I think that a good team would have displaced Arsenal in the top four. At the start of next season Arsenal's young players will be more experienced and possibly have the backing of the American guy so they should be better, Liverpool have the money from this seasons CL run together with the new owners, Man U have a good young team and resources and then you have Chelsea's millions. So I really can't see how we could get into the top 4 for the next few years. What I would want is for Sam to have built a good team here that could possibly capitalise on any blips that the top four may have. For example in the next three years Wenger and Ferguson could possibly have left there jobs which would disrupt things.

Apart from the league, I would expect/demand a good cup run in the UEFA cup at some stage and by this I mean we do not get beat by a team like AZ.

Also expect a run in the cups too depending on the luck of the draw.

Any big games we do get to, be it semi's or finals I would expect the team to put up a fight not like the finals at the end of the 90's and EUFA blow outs.

Most important thing for this club is to WIN something at any cost, not bothered at all about the type of football we play. Obviously i would like good football but at Newcastle all we've ever had is a team that either plays good football and wins nothing or the team plays bad football and wins nothing.

Depends.

I don't think they have much choice, I really think that this is the time that things could really go down hill for Newcastle if things do not change. It reminds me very much of Sunderland when they finally got sick of Murray. Not saying our decline would be the same but we would decline.

No, I could see why they would appoint him. I didn't blame them for Dalglish

No

No, I would just be surprised that it did not. One important thing for me is that the next manager is allowed to manage without interference from above.

I really could not give a hoot where people are from. If they are just here for the money I don't care as long as they put the work in. To be honest the only reason I would come to Newcastle would be for the money.

I think it's allardyce's biggest strength from what I've seen at bolton.

Guest Morph

3 years.  First year to get to know the club and it's ins and outs etc whilst making a few transfers.  second to go for it a bit, and then third, when he should have 'his' team playing his tactics there shouldn't be an excuse.

UEFA regulars, established top 6 in the league.

If we win, then I don't care how we do it, however, I don't think we will play ugly, I think Sam made Bolton play ugly 'cos thats all they could do.  Kevin Davies couldn't skin people, El Hadj Diouf had to wind people up to get at them mentally, Gary Speed and Ivan Campo could put themselves about a bit.  He plays his teams to their strengths.  Maybe he'll even play Luque in his strongest position.  Who knows.

Yes.  As long as he's right of course.

Most certainly.  Then again, I'd applaud the board for appointing anyone if he turned out to be a good one.

Doubt it.  Everyone wants him in, everyone thinks he's going to succeed, so it wouldn't be their fault if he turned out to be a flop.

Yes, mainly because I have relatives with season tickets at Bolton, and my Dad has been harping on about him for years.

No.

Only white foreigners plz.  Joke answer to a joke question.

Guest Gemmill

Mind, he has got a MASSIVE head.

If he does come here, someone needs to tell him to lean away from the camera in the post match interview.

:lol:  The bloke is a bull that's been shaved, had its horns removed, and taught to speak man. 

Guest Knightrider

Off the pitch any good manager will need 5 years to get things working in the right manner, where as on it, 2 years should be sufficient enough and will yeild at least some inkling of what direction we are heading in. If the right direction, like Gemmill says timeframes don't really matter.

I suspect HTT is probably right. It will take a long-term commitment from fans and manager to get this club back up onto its feet.

It's just a shame that no Newcastle manger's ever going to get five-ten years. We've had more managers in the PL than the likes of Man Utd have gone through in 50 years.