When we beat Leicester 7-1 in the promotion season...

Yorkie

6-0 at half time, standing in the corner, red hot, dewildered by how good we were & how easily we were beating a team in the play-offs. Fantastic. Leicester came out for the 2nd half & tried to kick their way to respectability.

Pav should've saved Steve Walsh's goal in that match if my memory serve me right. But who gives a f***...one of the best matches i've been to that one as a young 7 yr old.

I remember we were singing the Andy Cole song and it was virtually every single person in the ground and we sang it about Stevie Walsh as a piss take after he scored, that was probably my favourite match of all time, it really felt like we were living a dream.

Was talking about the game last night.

And it kind of helped me understand why people such as my dad don't take to the likes of Martins instantly. Alright, my dad doesn't know a colossal amount about modern football nowadays, and i think he has trouble contemplating that the game has changed quite a bit - even over the past decade or so, but when you think of the Leicester game and people like Andy Cole - like i say, it's easier to understand.

How long must we have had Cole before we played that Leicester game? I don't know the exact dates, i was only just born, but was surely only a few weeks or something? Fairly sure we got him towards the end of the season.

The scenario was the same - my dad had never heard of Cole, just like he'd never heard of Martins. But when Andy Cole scores a brilliant hat-trick in his first television appearance, and Martins took mountains-worth of games to hit the spot semi-properly (for my pap atleast)... i suppose i can see why it takes quite a lot to get, someone like, my dad excited about a Newcastle player.

Really wish i'd seen more of the Keegan era.

For the record, it was the home game with Alkmaar when i first heard my dad genuinely praise Martins and say he thought he was "alright". :lol:  He's a stubborn bugger.

Who was in goal when we beat Sheffield Wednesday 4-2, when Mathie scored that cracking fluke? Was it Tommy Wright?

I'm not having that like. f****** sublime is the word you were scrambling for.  

How the f*** that goal never made it on the top 10 goals of September GOTM competition is one of the great disgraces of British Television history.  What an atmosphere it was that neet as well, Pav was in goal.

Because it was an absolute fluke ffs, backed up by Mathie's utter shitness in general.

Shut up you mug.  You hadn't even got the metro anywhere other than South Shields from your Jarrow hovel in 1993, let alone remember Mathie's goal, absolutely brilliant goal.