An optimistic viewpoint about the future

Zero

I am usually one of the most pessimistic posters here but this is the first time that I feel a bright future for our team for these few years

see the reason below:

1.  Great Timing for hiring a new manager

Yes, I want Fatty Shepherd to resign asap as a chairman, but I couldn't deny that this time the firing of Roeder is really good.

It doesn't only permit the manager to have a summer for rebuilding the squad instead of a mid-season chaos,

but it's also the best timing for attracting great managers.

EPL is destined to be the centre of attraction of euro football the next few seasons and every top class manager is willing to prove themselves here.

Houllier wanna come back, Big Sam wanna try a large club challange, Sven and Ramos are interested in EPL...etc

Compare with the timing last year when Souness was sacked, this time we have a much higher chance to attract a top class manager, forgetting the likes of Curbishley and Bruce for sure...

To add more on that, we have a huge amount of broadcasting revenue next season which compensates the loss of euro games and Fatty is determined to support this new manager because he doesn't have much chance left. Such strong financial backup must be good enough to lure those high profile managers e.g. Sven even though personally I dun like him.

2. Good crops of players

Yes again I understand this point seems problematic, but actually our squad isn't as bad as we believe.

We don't need to invest on GK and forward anymore, as for the latter one Owen, Martins and Carroll are enough for a season without euro football, and so we can reconsider this position next year. Certainly Ameobi should be fucked off.

And when we consider our midfield, again we don't need any investment on the wingers: Zog, Duff and Milner are good enough, especially Milner who should be our player of the year. I do believe that he has a great chance to break into the national team next season. Solano can be the necessary backup for Milner.

We do have problems on centre, with Parker and Emre underperforming and Butt's leaving. About 1-2 new players are needed.

For the defence line, Taylor should be the centre for rebuilding and the others should be shown the door, may be with the exception of Hunty and Edgar.

I understand Hunty isn't rated here but I believe he can make it after 1 year loan in Championship.

Thus the new manager should buy at least 2 new sidebacks and 1 centreback.

So actually we have a core player ready for every line (Given, Taylor, Milner, Owen) and we just need to strengthen the 3 positions I've mentioned.

This isn't too bad because our first step is to back to the top four side, but not challanging the title.

With the money we'll have this summer, the new manager should be able to solve the needs.

And I do believe the new manager isn't stubborn enough to rely on Carr and Babayaro again.

So I am really optimistic about the quality of the manager and the players we will have, and this should be the turnaround point after so many years of frustration.

Next year top 6 is very likely and if we have luck top 4 isn't a dream.

My list of targets:

Allardyce - He has a great record on developing the academy players. He should be able to dig a few gems out and, most importantly, his transfer record speaks for himself. He rarely make a loss: expensive players like Diouf and Anelka doesn't let everyone down, and those "cheap" players aren't a loss even if they failed.

Another important point is Allardyce is a very good financial controller, which he should be able to change our silly spending culture: exceptionally high transfer fees and wages. No more Dyer-like joke should be happened.

Hoyte

Baines

Curtis Davies or Van Buyten

Manual Fernandes

Pouba Diop

Seol if less than 2m as a versatile backup

Guest Gemmill

Owen, Martins and Carroll are enough for a forward line?  Are you for real?  You've seen maybe half an hour of Carroll for the first team, Martins looks dodgy as fuck 80% of the time, and Owen is Mr. Injury.

Owen, Martins and Carroll are enough for a forward line?  Are you for real?  You've seen maybe half an hour of Carroll for the first team, Martins looks dodgy as f*** 80% of the time, and Owen is Mr. Injury.

That's why I include Seol as a potential backup. The point is, we don't need a high profile forward because we simply don't have enough matches for 3 high profile forward.

Martins and Owen must start in every game when they're fit, fact. The former does need some tutorials but he should be able to make it-----he's still young and he has the fastest pace in the world. Owen's record is terrible but from what I saw in the last two matches, thanks to Dr. Steadman his leg seems to be in full condition again. He should be less injory prone, no proof though, just my intuition. And for the rest of the scenarios, Carroll worths about 10-15 matches to play to test his potential,

and I do believe Allardyce will try some cheap and young forward like Vaz Te. So we really don't need to strengthen this position ATM.

Of course, if we get into Top6 next season, a new striker like Berbatov is a must. But not now.

should be able to change our silly spending culture: exceptionally high transfer fees and wages

Then you post a wishlist of players who could easily cost 30 million + ???

Players have their price but the problem is we usually overpaid it. Like the players are worth 30m, and we will pay for about 50m...

It's just my list though, Allardyce must have different and my point is even he'll spend big, it won't be a silly amount-----no more Cort, Viana, Luque...

Though, is my list of players too expensive? ???

Hoyte 4m

Baines 5m

Curtis Davies or Van Buyten 8m

Manual Fernandes 9m

Pouba Diop 4m

Seol 2m

32m, ok, I admit it's too high then.

Makes a change to see an optimistic opinion on here, I think I would be optimistic if Allardyce was appointed. A bit off topic but who does Manuel Fernades play for, and is he any good? I've heard the name (and Portsmouth bought him on my FM) but thats about it.

Guest shaun11177

You cant go into a season with just Owen,Martins and Shols.The kid Carroll has a long way to go yet.You need 22 players with competition /cover for every position.

Also Van Buyten is at Bayern-hardly a realistic target+you dont have any experience in the centre of defence+

You cant go into a season with Taylor/Davies/Edgar/Huntington as the central defenders.

Guest GAMMELL

Makes a change to see an optimistic opinion on here, I think I would be optimistic if Allardyce was appointed. A bit off topic but who does Manuel Fernades play for, and is he any good? I've heard the name (and Portsmouth bought him on my FM) but thats about it.

Manuel Fernandes is currently on loan at Everton from Benfica. Apparently Benfica's asking price for the boy is £12 million which is a bit f*ckin steep in my opinion.

Guest Ericzz

I think the priority is still a tactically astute manager and a center defender.

A tactically astute manager is of paramount importance because ultimately, he is the one that makes the whole team gel.

Soccer is a team game. There is no point having talented individuals without a tactically astute manager to fit their style of play into the team play and make the team play coherent.

As for a central defender, Steven Taylor does have very good potential but he is far from the best. A good central defender is needed for Steven Taylor to gain more experience from and for Newcastle's defence to be more stable.

Defence seems to be Newcastle's archie heels for the past few years. I am surprised that it has not been fixed. Only with a stable and secured, then the attackers can be more assured and confident to carry out their attacks on the opponents' goalmouth.

Honestly, I thought Johnathan Woodgate would be a very welcome addition back to the Newcastle squad.

This is my personal wishlist (for now):

1. Gerard Houllier or Claudio Ranieri (Reputable managers with EPL experiences are always better and more secured bets)

2. Johnathan Woodgate (NB: It's better to have defender with EPL experiences. EPL is alot different from other leagues, a top defender in other leagues may not be a top defender in EPL)

3. Alex (if the price is right)

4. Darren Bent (if the price is right)

These are just my personal opinions.

Regards,

Ericz.

Hoyte 4m

Hoyte has recently signed a new deal at Arsenal and seems happy to fight out, mind the pun, for the right back position and and maybe to fill in at LB whilst Clichy is tired/injured.

I would like to see, at the very top of the list, an experienced defender who goes about his job well and quietly, as mentioned woodgate but he has also recently signed for Boro permanently so seems unlikely.

I think the priority is still a tactically astute manager and a center defender.

A tactically astute manager is of paramount importance because ultimately, he is the one that makes the whole team gel.

Soccer is a team game. There is no point having talented individuals without a tactically astute manager to fit their style of play into the team play and make the team play coherent.

As for a central defender, Steven Taylor does have very good potential but he is far from the best. A good central defender is needed for Steven Taylor to gain more experience from and for Newcastle's defence to be more stable.

Defence seems to be Newcastle's archie heels for the past few years. I am surprised that it has not been fixed. Only with a stable and secured, then the attackers can be more assured and confident to carry out their attacks on the opponents' goalmouth.

Honestly, I thought Johnathan Woodgate would be a very welcome addition back to the Newcastle squad.

This is my personal wishlist (for now):

1. Gerard Houllier or Claudio Ranieri (Reputable managers with EPL experiences are always better and more secured bets)

2. Johnathan Woodgate (NB: It's better to have defender with EPL experiences. EPL is alot different from other leagues, a top defender in other leagues may not be a top defender in EPL)

3. Alex (if the price is right)

4. Darren Bent (if the price is right)

These are just my personal opinions.

Regards,

Ericz.

I know this is your wish list and in a way i share a small ammount of hope that raneri will throw his hat into the pile.

but the woodgate boat has sailed he has signed to boro we are never going to get him now and when his contract is over he will be too old. If all comes down to the manager that comes in but it is totally obvious we are short on experience at the back as well as strength wel fuck it every skill needed to make a defence so thats a priority.

I would like to see someone come in and motivate the players we have to playing well as if we dont we literrally have such a small squad and not an endless pit of money we cannot afford a total overhaul. The players we would all like to see the back of will not sell for much and the replacements we are all pining for will cost us way more so we need to have a game plan here. Whoever comes in i hope they have a strong will to stop FS doing the same old trophy signing.