bestest nufc player ever

Guest Hibbits left foot
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Hibbits left foot

And lo , did Sir Peter unlocketh the 7 seals , saying unto the multitude ; " Well obviously like " ...

Beardsley by a mile, my tribute to Peter which I wrote a few years ago.....

Peter Beardsley is without doubt one of England's most gifted ever players, a player who at certain times in his career was ridiculously under-valued, classic example being his final season at Liverpool under Souness and Dalglish.

For me, and a lot of Newcastle fans of my age, Peter Beardsley was the finest, most loved player to pull on a black n white shirt.  People can argue, Wor Jackie, Hughie Gallagher, Super Mac or Shearer did more or were indeed better all round players, but I don't see it that way.There can be no greater accolade I can pay to the great man; in saying I have never seen anyone with a better touch, ability to beat a man, or more modesty on a pitch

Peter's career started at Carlisle United, another classic example of Newcastle's century long reputation of losing local talent, through not thinking they're good enough, Shearer is another example.  Peter was guided at Carlisle by a man who is also close to all Geordie hearts, in Bob Stokoe, who was manager of Carlisle at the time, and by his 3rd season there,  Canadian side Vancouver Whitecaps risked £150,000 (a huge amount at the time) on Beardsley.  A brief but unsuccessful spell at Manchester United saw Beardsley return to Canada for his final spell there.

Arthur Cox, who was brought in 1981, after arguably Newcastle's 2 worst seasons in their history, had begun to rejuvenate the club, promising youngsters like Chris Waddle were starting to flourish aided by the arrival in June 1982 by former European Footballer of The Year Kevin Keegan.  Cox recognised that more additions were needed though if Newcastle were to return to Division One.  United finished 5th in 1982/83 and top scorer and crowd favourite Imre Varadi was sold in the close season, much to the annoyance of the St James's Park faithful.  A lot of rumours started circulating around Tyneside, which still linger to this very day, that Varadi was sold because he was shagging Keegan's wife, but Cox maintains that wasn't the reason.

A reasonable start to the 83/84 season appeased fans who were demanding to know where Varadi's replacement was.  In October 1983 Cox made a signing that the majority of the baffled Newcastle United fans thought "who's he?”  However, Cox knew what he was getting if no one else did, a legend had arrived. 

On Beardsley's home debut against fellow promotion rivals Man City he grabbed one of the best hat tricks you will ever see, any doubters were eating humble pie by the bucket full, as the amiable Geordie's talents were lapped up by an adoring public.  Newcastle came third that season behind Chelsea and Sheffield Wednesday, in attacking terms the front 3 were arguably better than anyone in England, even though we were in Division Two, but the defence and midfield was average at best.1983/84 proved to be one of the most exciting seasons in Newcastle's history, how many clubs in world football have had 3 players like Kevin Keegan,

Peter Beardsley and Chris Waddle (who was often pushed up front), playing for them at one time.  Keegan was honest enough to admit the true star of the season was Peter Beardsley.  Keegan retired in May 1984 with his last ever game in a black and white shirt being at home to Brighton in a 3-1 home win, in front of a sell out 37,000 crowd. Over 20,000 fans were locked outside.  However even the legend that Keegan is he was upstaged by one of the finest goals ever seen at St James's Park; by you've guessed it, Peter Beardsley. 

I watch the Tyne Tees video "Going Up" - a documentary about the season, and you can't help but marvel at Beardsley's contribution, he didn't score "bad goals", and every goal that he scored seemed to be jaw dropping.  Few players that have ever played the game could've scored the goal he did at Portsmouth, skinning 3 players on the line, he could've put in but he insisted on taking the piss on the line!  His 21 goals that season don't tell the full story of how good he was.  The guy is number one always will be.  If Keegan was the messiah then Peter was surely the heir to his throne.

Arthur Cox left the club in the in the summer of 1984, a typically callous decision by the board, not to increase his salary after a gentleman’s agreement stating promotion would double his pay, caused Cox to resign as a matter of principle.

In came the ruthless Jack Charlton who made it clear he wanted no superstars, and made Peter in to a workhorse back in the First Division, he still flourished though, and caught the eye of many more ambitious clubs than us.  That was a problem for Peter, and who can blame him, he was playing brilliant, the emerging Paul Gascoigne was coming through, but he was just a teenager, who else was there? 

Typically of Newcastle though, our second best player was sold in the summer of 1985 to Spurs, Chris Waddle, for £600,000.  The money received off that and other transfers wasn't invested and Newcastle became stagnant by 1987, perennial mid-table under-achievers, with a board made up of draconian old 70somethings, who were only in it for personal gain, as had been that pattern of the club been for the previous 40 years.

I personally saw Beardsley in 1986 in Exhibition Park, I was only 8, and he had just come back from the World Cup in Mexico, he was promoting his book "Proud to Be a Geordie", and I shouted Peter stay with us and he typically stuck his thumb up.  He kept his promise to me, he did stay but only for one more season, before he moved off to Anfield. We beat Manchester United 2-1 at St James's in his final game, he limped off badly injured in the first half and I for one knew that was it...gone forever, or so I thought!

Peter kept on improving and in fairness his talents deserved the highest possible stage, which we certainly could not provide, he got that at Anfield.  In his first season there he scored 21 goals, won a League Title, appeared in a FA Cup Final, and was only pipped to PFA Player of the Year by his outstanding colleague John Barnes. He even got the goal which secured the League Title at Anfield, not even Roald Dahl could've be as imaginative to suggest him doing that for Newcastle at the time.

More medals followed at Liverpool, more international recognition, Beardsley was now a name etched in the mind of every football fan in the world.  It turned sour at Liverpool in 1991, for a number of reasons, rumours of an affair with Dalglish's wife were cited as the reason, well that was tabloid ‘News of The World's’ reason anyway, and Peter often found himself on the bench. Dalglish left in 1991 and "Pedro" as he was affectionately known, shortly followed him, this time to Merseyside rivals Everton.

Beardsley was soon a firm crowd favourite at Goodison, as he had been everywhere he played, but Everton were very much a club in decline, struggling below mid table, with mounting debts, Beardsley was seen as Everton's prize asset, and was sold to another club in the summer of 1993.

If there was one club in world football who were arguably the biggest sleeping giants, most people knew who they were, Peter certainly did, and when a resurgent Newcastle led by the old messiah Kevin Keegan bid £1.5m for him in August 1993, the entire population of Tyneside rejoiced. Peter was 32 at the time, but we all knew how good he was. Three clubs came in for him, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby and Newcastle, and his love of the club was beautifully illustrated when he agreed a 3 year deal on £4,000 a week HALF of what he would've received had he have joined the other two.

Newcastle were brilliant that season, for the first time in 40 years ‘the Magpies’ were a genuine force in the league, it was a roller coaster which captured the imagination of fans around the globe.  In our first season in the Premiership we came 3rd, largely thanks to Peter Beardsley and Andy Cole's unbelievable partnership.  Peter was that good. I firmly believe he made Andy Cole the superstar he was.  Cole grabbed 41 goals that season an unbelievable tally for someone with no Premiership experience and at least half of those goals were made by Beardsley. 

He was always my hero, but how many people can say their hero made their birthday complete?  I can.  4th December 1993, my 16th birthday, Tottenham 1 Newcastle 1, 90 minutes on the clock, he picks the ball up on the half way line, literally beats 6 players, bang roof of the net, pandemonium for the 6,000 TOON fans in the Park End, I don't ever recall being happier than that after a goal. 

He was magnificent.

My only regret for Beardsley and his career was he didn't play in European football till 1994, largely due to the Heysel disaster.  On his European debut he was instrumental as The Toon demolished Antwerp 5-0 in Belgium.

By 1995/1996 Keegan had moulded arguably one of the finest sides in our history, and Beardsley was the key piece of the jigsaw.  As  Andy Cole found out before he was sold to Manchester United, Ferdinand soon realised he was playing with one of the finest support strikers the world has ever known, and Big Les finished as the Premierships top scorer, we all know why!  Newcastle marauded to the top of the Premiership that season, playing a style of football noted in the 4 corners of the globe, Peter's beloved Newcastle found themselves 12 points clear by January 1996, but due to a number of factors blew it, and maybe we will regret it forever, we will see.

His final season in a black n white shirt started at Wembley in the Charity Shield.  When Keegan announced his team on the Saturday night, he was reduced to tears, he was only on the bench, and it shows how much he must have dreamed of playing at Wembley with Newcastle.  Keegan had a dilemma on his hands because he now had 4 world class strikers following the recent arrivals of another local hero, Alan Shearer, and the enigmatic Colombian, Tino Asprilla.  Having seen how upset he was Keegan had a re-think on the day of the game and put him in his starting line up.  Unfortunately for Beardsley though he had one of his more forgettable performances for The Toon, culminating in an embarrassing 4-0 defeat to Manchester United.  That result was overturned at St James's Park in October 1996 though with an unforgettable 5-0 demolition of the champions, a game which Beardsley was my undoubted man of the match.

The end was nigh for Peter at the top level though he was 36 years of age and it was beginning to show, his final game, he came on as substitute in the 2nd half as relegated Nottingham Forest were hammered 5-0.  His reception at the end of the game was as good as anything I have ever seen, or will ever see probably in Football.

Peter then moved off to Bolton in 1997/98, and he was still good, but the old sparkle and the legs weren't as prevalent as before, but his love of the game meant that he continued for another 12 months.

Peter's 59 caps and 9 goals for England were not fitting of a player of his class, even though it's still a hefty tally.  As Jimmy Hill used to continually re-iterate "When Beardsley plays well England play well.", and that's how important he was to every team he ever played for. 

He was the catalyst for everything.

The final emotional farewell for Beardsley from the game and the ground he loved came in 1999, in front of a packed St James's.  Very few players in my mind deserve testimonials, especially in today's football world, but if there is one person who deserved a send off like he received it is the one and only Peter Beardsley. Celtic's magnificent 7,000 travelling army of fans contributed to an evening none of us there and in particular the great man himself will ever forget.

Truly, There's Only One Peter Beardsley

Geordie Genius

And lo , did Sir Peter unlocketh the 7 seals , saying unto the multitude ; " Well obviously like " ...

You've been buying those special biscuits from Germany haven't you?  :lol:

Guest Hibbits left foot

And lo did Sir Kev and the Waddler sit at his right hand, saying unto him ,"Peter,  thouest the most holiest of holies , how might we serve thee? And Sir Peter sayeth, " go thou and speaketh the word of th Geordies , let thine works be known amongst the masses" ...

Guest Hibbits left foot

Beardsley by a mile, my tribute to Peter which I wrote a few years ago.....

Peter Beardsley is without doubt one of England's most gifted ever players, a player who at certain times in his career was ridiculously under-valued, classic example being his final season at Liverpool under Souness and Dalglish.

For me, and a lot of Newcastle fans of my age, Peter Beardsley was the finest, most loved player to pull on a black n white shirt.  People can argue, Wor Jackie, Hughie Gallagher, Super Mac or Shearer did more or were indeed better all round players, but I don't see it that way.There can be no greater accolade I can pay to the great man; in saying I have never seen anyone with a better touch, ability to beat a man, or more modesty on a pitch

Peter's career started at Carlisle United, another classic example of Newcastle's century long reputation of losing local talent, through not thinking they're good enough, Shearer is another example.  Peter was guided at Carlisle by a man who is also close to all Geordie hearts, in Bob Stokoe, who was manager of Carlisle at the time, and by his 3rd season there,  Canadian side Vancouver Whitecaps risked £150,000 (a huge amount at the time) on Beardsley.  A brief but unsuccessful spell at Manchester United saw Beardsley return to Canada for his final spell there.

Arthur Cox, who was brought in 1981, after arguably Newcastle's 2 worst seasons in their history, had begun to rejuvenate the club, promising youngsters like Chris Waddle were starting to flourish aided by the arrival in June 1982 by former European Footballer of The Year Kevin Keegan.  Cox recognised that more additions were needed though if Newcastle were to return to Division One.  United finished 5th in 1982/83 and top scorer and crowd favourite Imre Varadi was sold in the close season, much to the annoyance of the St James's Park faithful.  A lot of rumours started circulating around Tyneside, which still linger to this very day, that Varadi was sold because he was shagging Keegan's wife, but Cox maintains that wasn't the reason.

A reasonable start to the 83/84 season appeased fans who were demanding to know where Varadi's replacement was.  In October 1983 Cox made a signing that the majority of the baffled Newcastle United fans thought "who's he?”  However, Cox knew what he was getting if no one else did, a legend had arrived. 

On Beardsley's home debut against fellow promotion rivals Man City he grabbed one of the best hat tricks you will ever see, any doubters were eating humble pie by the bucket full, as the amiable Geordie's talents were lapped up by an adoring public.  Newcastle came third that season behind Chelsea and Sheffield Wednesday, in attacking terms the front 3 were arguably better than anyone in England, even though we were in Division Two, but the defence and midfield was average at best.1983/84 proved to be one of the most exciting seasons in Newcastle's history, how many clubs in world football have had 3 players like Kevin Keegan,

Peter Beardsley and Chris Waddle (who was often pushed up front), playing for them at one time.  Keegan was honest enough to admit the true star of the season was Peter Beardsley.  Keegan retired in May 1984 with his last ever game in a black and white shirt being at home to Brighton in a 3-1 home win, in front of a sell out 37,000 crowd. Over 20,000 fans were locked outside.  However even the legend that Keegan is he was upstaged by one of the finest goals ever seen at St James's Park; by you've guessed it, Peter Beardsley. 

I watch the Tyne Tees video "Going Up" - a documentary about the season, and you can't help but marvel at Beardsley's contribution, he didn't score "bad goals", and every goal that he scored seemed to be jaw dropping.  Few players that have ever played the game could've scored the goal he did at Portsmouth, skinning 3 players on the line, he could've put in but he insisted on taking the piss on the line!  His 21 goals that season don't tell the full story of how good he was.  The guy is number one always will be.  If Keegan was the messiah then Peter was surely the heir to his throne.

Arthur Cox left the club in the in the summer of 1984, a typically callous decision by the board, not to increase his salary after a gentleman’s agreement stating promotion would double his pay, caused Cox to resign as a matter of principle.

In came the ruthless Jack Charlton who made it clear he wanted no superstars, and made Peter in to a workhorse back in the First Division, he still flourished though, and caught the eye of many more ambitious clubs than us.  That was a problem for Peter, and who can blame him, he was playing brilliant, the emerging Paul Gascoigne was coming through, but he was just a teenager, who else was there? 

Typically of Newcastle though, our second best player was sold in the summer of 1985 to Spurs, Chris Waddle, for £600,000.  The money received off that and other transfers wasn't invested and Newcastle became stagnant by 1987, perennial mid-table under-achievers, with a board made up of draconian old 70somethings, who were only in it for personal gain, as had been that pattern of the club been for the previous 40 years.

I personally saw Beardsley in 1986 in Exhibition Park, I was only 8, and he had just come back from the World Cup in Mexico, he was promoting his book "Proud to Be a Geordie", and I shouted Peter stay with us and he typically stuck his thumb up.  He kept his promise to me, he did stay but only for one more season, before he moved off to Anfield. We beat Manchester United 2-1 at St James's in his final game, he limped off badly injured in the first half and I for one knew that was it...gone forever, or so I thought!

Peter kept on improving and in fairness his talents deserved the highest possible stage, which we certainly could not provide, he got that at Anfield.  In his first season there he scored 21 goals, won a League Title, appeared in a FA Cup Final, and was only pipped to PFA Player of the Year by his outstanding colleague John Barnes. He even got the goal which secured the League Title at Anfield, not even Roald Dahl could've be as imaginative to suggest him doing that for Newcastle at the time.

More medals followed at Liverpool, more international recognition, Beardsley was now a name etched in the mind of every football fan in the world.  It turned sour at Liverpool in 1991, for a number of reasons, rumours of an affair with Dalglish's wife were cited as the reason, well that was tabloid ‘News of The World's’ reason anyway, and Peter often found himself on the bench. Dalglish left in 1991 and "Pedro" as he was affectionately known, shortly followed him, this time to Merseyside rivals Everton.

Beardsley was soon a firm crowd favourite at Goodison, as he had been everywhere he played, but Everton were very much a club in decline, struggling below mid table, with mounting debts, Beardsley was seen as Everton's prize asset, and was sold to another club in the summer of 1993.

If there was one club in world football who were arguably the biggest sleeping giants, most people knew who they were, Peter certainly did, and when a resurgent Newcastle led by the old messiah Kevin Keegan bid £1.5m for him in August 1993, the entire population of Tyneside rejoiced. Peter was 32 at the time, but we all knew how good he was. Three clubs came in for him, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby and Newcastle, and his love of the club was beautifully illustrated when he agreed a 3 year deal on £4,000 a week HALF of what he would've received had he have joined the other two.

Newcastle were brilliant that season, for the first time in 40 years ‘the Magpies’ were a genuine force in the league, it was a roller coaster which captured the imagination of fans around the globe.  In our first season in the Premiership we came 3rd, largely thanks to Peter Beardsley and Andy Cole's unbelievable partnership.  Peter was that good. I firmly believe he made Andy Cole the superstar he was.  Cole grabbed 41 goals that season an unbelievable tally for someone with no Premiership experience and at least half of those goals were made by Beardsley. 

He was always my hero, but how many people can say their hero made their birthday complete?  I can.  4th December 1993, my 16th birthday, Tottenham 1 Newcastle 1, 90 minutes on the clock, he picks the ball up on the half way line, literally beats 6 players, bang roof of the net, pandemonium for the 6,000 TOON fans in the Park End, I don't ever recall being happier than that after a goal. 

He was magnificent.

My only regret for Beardsley and his career was he didn't play in European football till 1994, largely due to the Heysel disaster.  On his European debut he was instrumental as The Toon demolished Antwerp 5-0 in Belgium.

By 1995/1996 Keegan had moulded arguably one of the finest sides in our history, and Beardsley was the key piece of the jigsaw.  As  Andy Cole found out before he was sold to Manchester United, Ferdinand soon realised he was playing with one of the finest support strikers the world has ever known, and Big Les finished as the Premierships top scorer, we all know why!  Newcastle marauded to the top of the Premiership that season, playing a style of football noted in the 4 corners of the globe, Peter's beloved Newcastle found themselves 12 points clear by January 1996, but due to a number of factors blew it, and maybe we will regret it forever, we will see.

His final season in a black n white shirt started at Wembley in the Charity Shield.  When Keegan announced his team on the Saturday night, he was reduced to tears, he was only on the bench, and it shows how much he must have dreamed of playing at Wembley with Newcastle.  Keegan had a dilemma on his hands because he now had 4 world class strikers following the recent arrivals of another local hero, Alan Shearer, and the enigmatic Colombian, Tino Asprilla.  Having seen how upset he was Keegan had a re-think on the day of the game and put him in his starting line up.  Unfortunately for Beardsley though he had one of his more forgettable performances for The Toon, culminating in an embarrassing 4-0 defeat to Manchester United.  That result was overturned at St James's Park in October 1996 though with an unforgettable 5-0 demolition of the champions, a game which Beardsley was my undoubted man of the match.

The end was nigh for Peter at the top level though he was 36 years of age and it was beginning to show, his final game, he came on as substitute in the 2nd half as relegated Nottingham Forest were hammered 5-0.  His reception at the end of the game was as good as anything I have ever seen, or will ever see probably in Football.

Peter then moved off to Bolton in 1997/98, and he was still good, but the old sparkle and the legs weren't as prevalent as before, but his love of the game meant that he continued for another 12 months.

Peter's 59 caps and 9 goals for England were not fitting of a player of his class, even though it's still a hefty tally.  As Jimmy Hill used to continually re-iterate "When Beardsley plays well England play well.", and that's how important he was to every team he ever played for. 

He was the catalyst for everything.

The final emotional farewell for Beardsley from the game and the ground he loved came in 1999, in front of a packed St James's.  Very few players in my mind deserve testimonials, especially in today's football world, but if there is one person who deserved a send off like he received it is the one and only Peter Beardsley. Celtic's magnificent 7,000 travelling army of fans contributed to an evening none of us there and in particular the great man himself will ever forget.

Truly, There's Only One Peter Beardsley

Geordie Genius

Thank you man for talking sense £4 grand per week? Shit the bed , look at what were paying for shite now ???