The main site - should it stay or should it go

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Could go in the summer, new ideas wanted - use this thread to kick some ideas about, or not.

Guest TheOrder

It should stay, I hope it does. I'll help with anything. Had a few probs recently, so I've not had the time, but I'm free to help in any which way, now.

Guest Knightrider

Needs committed people, match day going fans more than anything. Needs someone to sit on top of it every day running things. One thing I've noticed with sites like this, they need 247 attention almost. Look at .com and TF and N.O - all have one thing in common, pages last updated god knows when, broken linkes and lots of stuff that just needs deleted or sorted out.

The opportunity to run a site that gets more traffic than Icnewcastle and the official site, that has a lively community both here on the forum and on the main site, is a fantastic one for anyone aspiring to run a website in the future or become a sports journalist.

Guest TheOrder

I'm up for helping like I said, I just need direction in what you guys want. Do you want reviews? Articles? etc.

I'm shite at the techincal things, but I can help with the content.

Guest Knightrider

How many views does it get in a day, HTT?

On average, past week, the actual main site got 7,000 + visitors a day. Have no stats for forum as the main site stats are a Wordpress thing, the forum is SMF. Page views both on the main site and forum total millions a week, last time we had proper stats up, something like 2m a week, 8m a month.

Best ever average was 15-20,000 visitors a day that was on the old version where we were pumping out stuff every day and reallyt building the site up, has dropped right off since due to lack of content and state of site.

This site could potentially blow the water with any because it has something the rest doesn't - a community of people. You see on the forum what its like, there 247.

Must admit though, its a bastard of a site. Not easy running these things, sympathy goes out to Nufc.com et al for sure.

Guest Knightrider

I cant stress enough what this site needs, someone there dedicated every day running things, we've asked for new writers and what not before and tbh most disappear or never write much or enough. Not a dig because here, not your problem, but it is a problem for us.

I can't promise anything like that, but I could help out with the site if you needed any help.

Have you looked into google adwords HTT? You might be able to generate some revenue through that.

I also think you should make the Films on TV site more prominent from the main site, because it is a very useful site.

You don't seem to have any advertising on there do you? Unlike .com for example.

How about using the fourm members for specific tasks?

Like whenever the player profiles needs updating just write a new thread and i am sure many people will be willing to help out,no need to have a group of names or a specific "site team"..

Guest Knightrider

I can't promise anything like that, but I could help out with the site if you needed any help.

Have you looked into google adwords HTT? You might be able to generate some revenue through that.

I also think you should make the Films on TV site more prominent from the main site, because it is a very useful site.

You don't seem to have any advertising on there do you? Unlike .com for example.

We have Google ads, pay nowt, want to move away from ads plastered on the site, never been a fan of them. The film site is not part of N.O, just my hobby site which I plug on N.O, that will be removed soon as well.

Guest Knightrider

I could turn N.O into wikipedia, i.e. open it up so members can edit it like their users do?

Something that I always enjoyed reading but wasn't bother with this year was the "Behind enemy lines" articles.

For anyone who didn't see them it was basically a dozen or so questions put to fans of the opposite team around a week before we played them, asking what players we have they've been impressed with, their unsung her, predicted score and opinions of things going on at both clubs at the time.

Now if you want that brought back next season, I'll be more than happy to sign up to rival boards and take care of it.

We have Google ads, pay nowt, want to move away from ads plastered on the site, never been a fan of them. The film site is not part of N.O, just my hobby site which I plug on N.O, that will be removed soon as well.

Fair enough. I agree that ads don't look very good - I just hear a lot about google ads how some people make good money from them though? Probably all made up anyway. lol.

I could turn N.O into wikipedia, i.e. open it up so members can edit it like their users do?

Like web 2.0 ;) You could and if it was the right people doing it then it could work. Or it could be a disaster.

Guest Knightrider

Something that I always enjoyed reading but wasn't bother with this year was the "Behind enemy lines" articles.

For anyone who didn't see them it was basically a dozen or so questions put to fans of the opposite team around a week before we played them, asking what players we have they've been impressed with, their unsung her, predicted score and opinions of things going on at both clubs at the time.

Now if you want that brought back next season, I'll be more than happy to sign up to rival boards and take care of it.

Go for it, would love to see a behind enemy lines view on Big Sam from Bolton, actually thought about doing it but don't have the heart to get back into all that again.

i dont ever look at it now, my bookmarks point straight here. If it was a worthwhile site to look at then no doubt i'd change it... but you'd need articles every other day and swiftness of reporting anything worthwhile.

I guess its all about finding someone with so little to do in life to be able to do it... where do i sign up?

What about doing a podcast? Could you do something like that? The official site did one last season but it wasn't up to much.

Well, make it a video podcast and I'm sure NSG will be straight there!

Guest smoggeordie

What about doing a podcast? Could you do something like that? The official site did one last season but it wasn't up to much.

2005 called, wants it's joke back.

Guest TheOrder

Mr Souness?

Guest smoggeordie

Mr Souness?

:lol:

If it is staying as it is it should be scrapped.

.com is far superior in terms of match reports, keeping stats and fixtures up to date, opinions and posting new news.