Gullit dig for Newcastle legend Shearer

Dinho lad

Guest alex

Still won more in his managerial career than we have in recent times.  :-[

Two words: Graeme Souness.

Always respected Gullit even though he did a sh*te job. He had a go, and it didn't work. Had a genuine bash at sorting out the defence as well when he signed the likes of Domi (who p*ssed all over Bernard for me as a player), Goma (who was excellent for half a season under Robson alongside Hughes before he left), Dumas (who looked canny when he played, even if it was out-of-position) and Marcelino (less said the better) As for the treatment of Lee, the only thing he did wrong there was the lack of squad number. But there was nothing wrong with dropping him because at the time Hamann & Speed were f*cking excellent together, and then he signed Dyer to play there.

I quite like him as a pundit, talks a lot more sense than most.

Nothing wrong with those comments and Gullit deffo has a good understanding of the game and if it went down as  he says I admire his honesty.

Cruijf in his book said that Rijkaard would find it easier than Gullit to crossover into management.

Shearer did seem to be going through the motions under Gullit but he was unable to get anything like the best out of the player at the same time. Heresy, but probably fault on both sides. A real personality clash. Shearer has showed his class by keeping quiet about it though imo. Also, you're talking out your arse with the last paragraph there Ronaldo. The fact that we won nowt with Shearer in the team doesn't mean we couldn't win anything with him in the team. He carried us at times.

Anyone would have to be very silly not to agree with that Alex. I would change at to many, in fact.

Guest jimmy m

Gullit in his prime played for arguably the greatest club side the world had ever seen. He played in front of Baresi, Maldini, Rijkaard and behind Van Basten, Papin, Donadoni.

If Shearer in his prime (93-97) had played in that team he would have been a phenomenon, and no-one with anything about them would ever argue with that.

The thing that gets Gullit is that even though all the knackas on TV will rate him as one of the all time greats, he knows that he will never be loved in the same way Shearer is by Newcastle supporters.

And although you can't compare such different footballers, Gullit will also recognise that Shearer had a better first touch, was better at heading, was one of the best crossers of the ball modern football has seen (he doesn't get enough credit for that imo), was a better tackler and a genuinely world-class goal scorer. Fair enough Gullit was a great passer and had a good long range shot. But he played his best years in an absolute belting team, with Rijkaard doing all his donkey work, whereas Shearer played one of his best years in a very good team(Blackburn) and one in a class team that was losing it's way (us in 96-97). When Gullit went to Sampadoria and then Chelsea he wasn't particularly brilliant, just doing the occasional class pass that the commentators would wet themselves about. Shearer however continued to score goals and act as the focal point of not just a team but an entire club, until he retired, even after all those operations.

Gullit knows all this, and he can't let it go cos he is a knob.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Gullit in his prime played for arguably the greatest club side the world had ever seen. He played in front of Baresi, Maldini, Rijkaard and behind Van Basten, Papin, Donadoni.

If Shearer in his prime (93-97) had played in that team he would have been a phenomenon, and no-one with anything about them would ever argue with that.

The thing that gets Gullit is that even though all the knackas on TV will rate him as one of the all time greats, he knows that he will never be loved in the same way Shearer is by Newcastle supporters.

And although you can't compare such different footballers, Gullit will also recognise that Shearer had a better first touch, was better at heading, was one of the best crossers of the ball modern football has seen (he doesn't get enough credit for that imo), was a better tackler and a genuinely world-class goal scorer. Fair enough Gullit was a great passer and had a good long range shot. But he played his best years in an absolute belting team, with Rijkaard doing all his donkey work, whereas Shearer played one of his best years in a very good team(Blackburn) and one in a class team that was losing it's way (us in 96-97). When Gullit went to Sampadoria and then Chelsea he wasn't particularly brilliant, just doing the occasional class pass that the commentators would wet themselves about. Shearer however continued to score goals and act as the focal point of not just a team but an entire club, until he retired, even after all those operations.

well that's a complete load of biased bollocks tbh

Tbh, I don't like Gullit much but everything he's said about Newcastle in the past year or so has been spot on. I used to think he hates the club, but it's becoming more apparent he hates the way its run and they way we've let our potential go to waste.

Guest jimmy m

why is it a complete load of biased bollocks?

I am biased but that is what being a football supporter is all about.

Obviously it is my opinion that Gullit is a knob but is there anything else you can reasonably disagree with?

The English media can't let it go, more like. Gullit does have a remarkably high opinion of himself, though.