Exciting times!

BONTEMPI

Well it's been a few weeks from the despair of having roeder as our manager and having shepherd most likely to keep him for the following season.

That has to be my lowest point as a newcastle fan, as I have to admit i'd lost all hope, and worst of all I wasn't really bothered anymore about us getting beat.

But what a fucking difference a matter of a few weeks make!

We have a new manager that has a proven track record in bargain basement buys and a great motivator.

And we could soon have a total takeover if Mike Ashley splashes the cash!

Could it be that the top 4 will become the top 5? And maybe just maybe a trophey win won't be too far round the corner!

Get in  :laugh2:

Guest Guinness

Unless things get sorted soon could this not hinder plans for next season? If Shephered digs his heels in there could be uncertainty surrounding the club, what impact would this have on the sanctioning of transfers? Our squad is in despereate need of improvements and it's vital we're active in the summer transfer market.

I'm happy that this takeover could signal a new direction for the club, just slightly concerned about the impact it will have on planning for next season.

Guest Guinness

Said the same in the other thread Guinness. Villa's pre-season (including transfer activity) was wrecked in the uncertainty.

Yeah that's what I find concerning. With the defence in particular looking very weak at this moment in time I don't think we can afford that level of uncertainty. Hopefully both Shephered and Ashley are smart enough to realise this and resolve the issue one way or another.

If we have an uncertain pre-season, so be it. In the long term, this has got to be good news.

It's been apparent for a while now that English football is going through a phase of expansion and renewed investment, similar to the period when the Premiership first broke away from the other leagues. Back then, we were ahead of the pack in terms of investment, which resulted in a few years of relative success for the club.

Until yesterday, though, it looked as if we were slipping behind in terms of what's happening now – expansion of revenues based on vastly increased TV opportunities, and the popularity of the Premiership in global terms. (This is why all the yanks are getting involved -- baseball or American football are never going to become global sports.) Shepherd could keep the club going, and has been looking to buy it out himself – and pocket the increased cash. But this would have to be done without new investment, meaning that, barring miracles, we would be condemned to mid-table mediocrity for the forseeable future.

So whatever the hiccups at the start, this kind of takeover is exactly what we need to keep up. Even better, it's being done without Ashley having to go into debt. Man U and Liverpool (maybe Villa too -- I know less about their situation) are now saddled with huge debts as a result of leveraged buy-outs, and the clubs (the fans!) will have to pay for that in the medium- to long-term. Same would have happened if Shepherd had bought out the Toon. He would have had to borrow around £100 million -- and the club (us!) would have had to pay that back for him.

And better this guy than some dodgy Thai billionaire, no?

But whatever the outcome of last night's final, it would be too charitable to ignore co-owner Tom Hicks' unsettling revelations this week about the manner in which he financed his purchase of Liverpool, despite the fact that as a George Bush-funding neocon he is only about the fifth least enchanting owner or prospective owner in the Premiership.

It is always distressing when baseless rumours gain currency and in Tuesday's interview with this paper Hicks was good enough to dispel any conjecture that he gives a toss about football. "When I was in the leverage buy-out business we bought Weetabix and we leveraged it up to make our return," he explained. "You could say that anyone who was eating Weetabix was paying for our purchase of Weetabix. It was just business. It is the same for Liverpool; revenues come in from whatever source and go out to whatever source and, if there is money left over, it is profit."

(Rather early on in the Weetabix soliloquy I had a vision of Gordon Gekko sneering "it's a zero sum game, pal!" at someone no longer able to afford a season ticket in the new Kop.)

Anyway Hicks' disarming candour extended to conceding that, contrary to briefings from his inner circle at time of purchase, the deal had followed a similar model to that used by the Glazers to purchase Manchester United. In short, like the Irises, his new asset was effectively acquired with a loan for which it was its own collateral.

Of course, times move on. Hicks is known as "the leverage wizard" and these days such deals are not as unusual as they were when Bond's sleight of hand became the symbol of the overweening pride that brought about his fall. Nor is the Texan any stranger to his teams being held up as cautionary tales. In baseball his Texas Rangers are constantly cited as evidence that money cannot buy you a championship, placed in unfavourable counterpoint to their division-mates, the Oakland A's, whose ability to achieve success on a budget is legendary.

Heaven forbid that Liverpool are ever seen as an example of how not to be owned, and no doubt Hicks and Co have a watertight business plan for the club. But with two Premiership giants now purchased in this controversial manner there is no harm in keeping an eye open for parables.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/05/24/loan_arranger_thrives_in_game.html

Guest skhwoody

The only problem is Shepherd, who i have no doubt will cling onto his power at all costs.  The best news this morning is that if ashley gets 50% + 1 share, he takes over control of the club and has the power to hire and fire and decided who would be chairman, so shepherds bluster and hot air this morning is in my eyes only designed to raise the price of his shares......  the sooner he goes the better.

Guest Knightrider

I'm excited but also worried, but the more I read and hear about this new guy the more relexed I feel.

Beats previous summers anyway.

How mad has the last few weeks been?

Guest Knightrider

But whatever the outcome of last night's final, it would be too charitable to ignore co-owner Tom Hicks' unsettling revelations this week about the manner in which he financed his purchase of Liverpool, despite the fact that as a George Bush-funding neocon he is only about the fifth least enchanting owner or prospective owner in the Premiership.

It is always distressing when baseless rumours gain currency and in Tuesday's interview with this paper Hicks was good enough to dispel any conjecture that he gives a toss about football. "When I was in the leverage buy-out business we bought Weetabix and we leveraged it up to make our return," he explained. "You could say that anyone who was eating Weetabix was paying for our purchase of Weetabix. It was just business. It is the same for Liverpool; revenues come in from whatever source and go out to whatever source and, if there is money left over, it is profit."

(Rather early on in the Weetabix soliloquy I had a vision of Gordon Gekko sneering "it's a zero sum game, pal!" at someone no longer able to afford a season ticket in the new Kop.)

Anyway Hicks' disarming candour extended to conceding that, contrary to briefings from his inner circle at time of purchase, the deal had followed a similar model to that used by the Glazers to purchase Manchester United. In short, like the Irises, his new asset was effectively acquired with a loan for which it was its own collateral.

Of course, times move on. Hicks is known as "the leverage wizard" and these days such deals are not as unusual as they were when Bond's sleight of hand became the symbol of the overweening pride that brought about his fall. Nor is the Texan any stranger to his teams being held up as cautionary tales. In baseball his Texas Rangers are constantly cited as evidence that money cannot buy you a championship, placed in unfavourable counterpoint to their division-mates, the Oakland A's, whose ability to achieve success on a budget is legendary.

Heaven forbid that Liverpool are ever seen as an example of how not to be owned, and no doubt Hicks and Co have a watertight business plan for the club. But with two Premiership giants now purchased in this controversial manner there is no harm in keeping an eye open for parables.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/05/24/loan_arranger_thrives_in_game.html

So Liverpool were basically bought out by another Glazer who funded the takeover by mortgaging the club? Interesting and worrying if you're a Reds fan. I don't trust the Americans.

The only problem is Shepherd, who i have no doubt will cling onto his power at all costs.  The best news this morning is that if ashley gets 50% + 1 share, he takes over control of the club and has the power to hire and fire and decided who would be chairman, so shepherds bluster and hot air this morning is in my eyes only designed to raise the price of his shares......  the sooner he goes the better.

I said a few months back that anyone with the right amount of cash will blow Shepherd out of the water, and in both assets & temperament, Ashley looks just the man ;'Likes parking his Tanks on people's lawns'

said one Banker about him(witness his spat with Whelan over shirt-pricing..!), and one Frederick Shepherd is about to wake up & smell the coffee - any messing with Ashley will be very stupid.Ashley is almost certain to get the 51% he needs to start disempowering the Fat One, and he can cut off all his income from NUFC - NO Dividends(and NO salary, because he will be voted off as Chairman).

The essence of every successful business person is knowing when to sell/quit, and this is now the time for Frederick Shepherd to do just that - oh, sorry, I forgot - successful, did I say..!!???

He either takes the loot & runs, or gets gradually steam-rollered and marginalised, plus given a dog's life by the majority of Tynesiders every time he shows his face if he continues to obstruct the new Board..

How delighted I am to see this day - whatever lies ahead cannot be as bad as the corrupt-looking set up(reputedly!!!) currently at SJP..!!

I personally feel that with regards to the issue of our position next season and Mr. Ashley, it's still too early to judge.

In my humble opinion, there are too many variables to consider.

It is good to be optimistic but for me, I prefer 'calculated optimism'. At the present, everything is abit blurry and vague. Time will tell.

Regards,

Ericz.