Mad Stad to be expanded to 38,000

Rob W

Stadium's expansion wins backing

Plans to enlarge the Madejski Stadium, home to Premiership football club Reading and London Irish RFC, have won the backing of council planners.

Football club bosses are to increase the number of seats at the Berkshire town's stadium by 12,400, bringing the total number to about 38,000.

Proposals to expand the stands were backed by Reading Borough Council's planning committee on Wednesday night.

Club chief executive Nigel Howe said he was "extremely pleased - it's very exciting for the football club, our fans and the region as a whole," he added. The expansion will allow us to take the club forward and further improve the facilities for our supporters as we aim to become an established force in the top flight."

The scheme has caused some concern about the impact it could have on traffic congestion.

A decision about when the work will begin has yet to be taken.

They want to wait until after next season before comitting to something like this imo. Plenty of teams in recent years have impressed in their first year up then really struggled the following season.

Hmmm - they filled them all last season ...................... 

Lot of money in Reading and bugger all else to spend it on - nearest clubs - Oxford, Palace, Brentford, Chelski (no seats there)

and of course London Irish bring in 8-20,000 supporters on the alternate weekends

aye - 8 people really have to shout loud............

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

20,000+ for the St Patricks day game - tho biggest ever attendance at a normal rugby union club game I think

I find it incredible where these clubs find their new support from.  Prior to 2005 Reading had never averaged over 15,000 in their entire history, yet now they're expecting 30,000 + every week.  The modern world eh?

Not like Rob to post something about Reading.

Go there quite often on business - not yer actual Paris, Rome or Sydney but  there's work there.................. 

Guest alex

Not like Rob to post something about Reading.

Go there quite often on business - not yer actual Paris, Rome or Sydney but  there's work there..................  

Fascinating ;)

Guest alex

I'll write e abook about it if you like..........

or an article for teh main site..............................    

Is that a book or an e-book?

Guest Mase

I live in Reading myself and I’m happy that they are expanding, and they will fill it week in week out. The amount of people that have suddenly started supporting Reading around here is unbelievable… I see people down the pubs where I’ve been going for 2/3 years and all of a sudden half of them are filled with people in Reading shirts. It’s crazy.

I reckon they’ll be similar to Sunderland. When they’re doing well, they’ll fill there stadium and when there doing badly it will be half full, or possibly a bit more.

Also because of there success they’ve over doubled the people wanting to get a season ticket compared to last year. Madjeski is a very smart guy, very rich but also very stingy. He made sure Madjeski Stadium had the option to expand and I have no doubts he knows exactly what he’s doing!

Good luck to em! O0

They didn't even fill their ground the season they went up and it only holds 24,000. If they go ahead with this and then get relegated it could be enough to sink them. The situation is very simular to Bradford, doing to much to soon.