We badly need a playmaker/creative player

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

If Owen and Martins stay and we sign Viduka that will give us a more than adequate pool of strikers to pick from in my opinion and while the whole team needs looked at really I think the one player that we are crying out for and have been since Beardsley left is a playmaker or creative player in that mould. If Big Sam can do his wheeling and deeling to pad out the squad and Ashley pumps a few quid in when he takes over eventually, I wouldn't mind us spending big on such a player. My own choice would be Tevez but that is out of the question and never going to happen, so who could we get to fill such a role?

Guest Invicta_Toon

there's this Kingston fella, plays for Atletico Blaydon iirc, he's actually a right back but a mate of a mate is sure he can be re-roled

Is he a playmaker?

Can play off the front man or either wing, he won't have the killer ball that someone like Beardsley had but his ability to beat a man will always create space for others in the team.

He's similar to Tevez from what I've seen of him.

Guest gggg

Van der Vaart or Diego might do nicely from what I've seen of them.

They'd do nicely at somewhere like Barcelona too. No chance.

We'll most the names I could throw at you (Diego, Arteta ect.) are probably out of league atm, even with the takeover cash, if we can find a dimond in the rough it would be great - Cahill and Arteta are argueably one of the best CM pairings in the league and they only cost a combined 3.5 million, so it is possible.

They're hardly at the biggest clubs now (Hamburg and Bremen iirc) and I don't think either of them set their respective club back too much. A decent bid might test their resolve and we'd most likely be paying them more than they're getting in Germany - don't reckon it's completely unfaesible. Just suggestions mind, I've only seen them 4 or 5 times each.

Guest teepee

bremen is a lot more attractive to be at atm, and i don't think we can get diego - who was recently voted player of the year in the bundesliga.

van der vaart is very interesting - top player, but a four man midfield with him in it will be a bit exposed - at least the other three have to do a lot of his defensive work.

another player could be riquelme - he is out of favour big time, and i dont think he has signed for anyone else yet.

Guest gggg

They're hardly at the biggest clubs now (Hamburg and Bremen iirc)

Bremen will be in the champions league next year, Diego is their star player. Hamburg were in the champions league last year, VDV is their star player. Both will be trying to win the german league next year so we don't really offer anything.

If they are sold it'll be to the really big clubs.

Guest David Kelly

I would say that Viduka fills that role to a certain extent.  He's not a big man up front in the Shearer mould, he's more akin to Gudjohnsen for my money.

I also think that Emre could be a lot more of a playmaker given the propper oppertunity and with some decent movement ahead of him.  In the first few minutes against Reading he looked a different player with Owen ahead of him!

massive longshot but hasnt riquelme fallen out of favour with villareal? on loan at boca juniors at moment i tihink

I think he'd struggle with the pace of the Premiership tbh.

Guest gggg

Riquelme is a bit of a fruitloop and will probably stay in Argentina, he's too slow for the premiership anyway imo.

massive longshot but hasnt riquelme fallen out of favour with villareal? on loan at boca juniors at moment i tihink

I think he'd struggle with the pace of the Premiership tbh.

On massive wages too. He won't be at Boca next year for that very reason.

This is one of the most important players we need imo. If we sign Baines, Ben Haim, Barton and Viduka then we got in a right back we would maybe have a team who would be one of the top 8 in the Premiership, but the playmaker is the key. If we can get a good one in then that would be possibly one of the most important players in getting us up to the next step. Someone with a brain who can unlock a defence with a single pass and can score goals. I don't know how much our budget is, but lets say for arguments sake we spend £11m on Baines and Barton. If we had a ridiculous amount of money like the £40m quoted in  some parts of the press, i would go as far as to pay anywhere between £10-£15m for the playmaker, i think it is that essential.