Graham Poll Documentary

Dave

Tonight at 11.05pm on BBC1.

Followed him for the last nine months of his referreeing career, should be interesting. Heard some snippets this morning on the radio.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6717887.stm

Personal abuse forced Poll to go

Graham Poll says abuse from fans over his World Cup blunder influenced his decision to quit as a football referee.

Poll failed to dismiss Croatia's Josip Simunic until he had shown him three yellow cards at the 2006 tournament.

"I've been unable to disassociate myself with that," the 43-year-old official told the BBC's Inside Sport.

Poll also accused Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho of "an unrepeatable and disgraceful personal comment," about him and Sir Alex Ferguson.

Although Poll has not revealed the details of Mourinho's comment, he added: "He knows what he said to me and it was just absolutely disgraceful.

"I was that shocked to hear it and he knew he had gone too far.

"That's why he sent himself off before I had the opportunity to do so."

That episode was the latest in a series involving Chelsea who remain aggrieved that Poll controversially sent off skipper John Terry in November's defeat at Tottenham.

"If I was wrong to send John Terry off, then I was wrong and it was a genuine mistake," he said.

"But the implication behind all this is that I went out with an agenda to teach Chelsea a lesson and show them some discipline.

"The implication that I am not impartial hurts more than anything."

And Poll also revealed continued fall-out from the Simunic error in the World Cup group match between Croatia and Australia had hurt him.

"People ask how on earth you are a referee, why do you do it and doesn't it hurt you when you have 60,000 fans chanting at you 'the referee is a w*****?'," added Poll.

"Well what we do is disassociate ourselves with that, that's not Graham Poll, they don't know who Graham Poll is, it's 'the referee is a w*****' or 'who's the b****** in the black?'.

"It's not a personal thing, it doesn't affect me.

"This season the chant from the home fans - 95% of the spectators - for me is 'World Cup and you've f***** it up'.

"That is difficult to ignore because you know it's true, but that's been something this season which has been difficult for me.

"That clearly affects my enjoyment of refereeing that game and takes your concentration away from key decisions.

Got to admit the bit in bold made me laugh. Mourinho must have said they were bumming or something. :lol:

Guest graemeh72

So was this programme planned as a year in the life of Poll,

which then turned into the last year of Poll

or was his retirement planned all along?

Not sure they all bother with actual books any more, but they used to defo mark the actual yellow card itself. They probably have lines and boxes on them for ease of use. My point was, surely he'd see that he'd already booked the guy.

Not sure when he announced his retirement, whether it was after the World Cup or what.

I doubt that he announced it after the WC. Just a few weeks ago he was named to referee Finland vs Belgium on this Wednesday

The best refs are the ones that you hardly know their name. Poll is just a self promoting idiot. Sure at times he has been hard done by he got the majority of decisions right throughout his career but the ones he gets wrong will obviously get highlighted, but becoming professional went to his head.

To answer a few things in here:

His retirement was only announced in the closing weeks of this season.  Whether it was planned last summer or not, we may never know (but as midds correctly surmises, there's an autobiography on the way I believe).

For cautions, some referees still like the old notebook system to write everything down, but at the top they tend to use tick boxes and write on cards.  The problem in this instance was that when he showed one of the first 2 cautions to Simunic, he ticked the corresponding box on Australia's side (Craig Moore).  For once in his life, Moore hadn't already been booked, so Simunic stayed on until he got his third a few moments later.  Had Moore been old and slow and fouling as usual, it'd never have happened.  Probably.  But he messed up.

He's no longer doing Finland vs Belgium, duties have been passed to Mike Riley.

To answer a few things in here:

His retirement was only announced in the closing weeks of this season.  Whether it was planned last summer or not, we may never know (but as midds correctly surmises, there's an autobiography on the way I believe).

For cautions, some referees still like the old notebook system to write everything down, but at the top they tend to use tick boxes and write on cards.  The problem in this instance was that when he showed one of the first 2 cautions to Simunic, he ticked the corresponding box on Australia's side (Craig Moore).  For once in his life, Moore hadn't already been booked, so Simunic stayed on until he got his third a few moments later.  Had Moore been old and slow and fouling as usual, it'd never have happened.  Probably.  But he messed up.

He's no longer doing Finland vs Belgium, duties have been passed to Mike Riley.

Cheers. :)

I feel a bit sorry for him I have to say, even tho I'm Australian. The Aus v Croatia game was probably only matched by the Germany - Italy game for sheer pace, intensity and end to end action. By the end he must have been absolutely knackered and he's had a brain explosion, which plenty of players do (in that game Kalac and Simunic did, of course Zidane later on). After the debacle at the final whistle of that game though he should have just put his hand up and retired. Dunno why he hung around for another year.

If you really squint your eyes you can see his side of the arguements, and feel some sympathy for him.

Still an arrogant c*** though.

If you really squint your eyes you can see his side of the arguements, and feel some sympathy for him.

Still an arrogant c*** though.

That was the main thing I disagreed with when he said he wasnt arrogant.

His arrogance doesnt bother me because I think you need it to be a ref and to get to the top of any profession. Is Mourinho not arrogant... or Ferguson

Anyone meek and mild isnt going to succeed and is just going to get stamped on.

Of course he cant sit there and say "oh yes I am arrogant". Stupid question by the interviewer really.

I agree, refs need to command respect, but this documentry just showed how much he loves the limelight. Calling himself "the best english manager around" is just plain arrogance and cockiness.

He had good ideas regarding the improvement of grass roots refereering, and I wish him luck in whichever position he chooses to go into, but it can only be good for the game now that the constant controversy that folllows him everywhere is going to disappear.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Being a referee is an almost impossible job. Your bosses (The FA) are fucking useless and their bosses (UEFA/FIFA) are even worse, tinkering with the rules of the game every season. And then you've got 22 screaming, cheating prima donnas diving round a football pitch in front of thousands of rabid, pissed up morons every weekend.

I have no idea why people put themselves forward to do it.

Being a referee is an almost impossible job. Your bosses (The FA) are f****** useless and their bosses (UEFA/FIFA) are even worse, tinkering with the rules of the game every season. And then you've got 22 screaming, cheating prima donnas diving round a football pitch in front of thousands of rabid, pissed up morons every weekend.

I have no idea why people put themselves forward to do it.

And you watch the game, support the tream, and pour money into it?