Cash in on Martins?

womblemaster
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mancini would have seen him closely for 3 years. Do you think he'd have been that willing to sell him if he felt he'd improve a great deal?

he actually improved a lot since his Inter days.. leading the line by himself last season, being our only threat to the opposition defenders in a team that didn't have an idea how to attack, scoring more with his head and right foot..

i don't get it.. do you people watch the games?

did you expect him to score more than 20 goals last season? or to constantly provide the killer ball for great strikers like Dyer and Sib?

Guest GeordieAce

thing with martins to me is yes he scored 17 goals .. some crackers in the mix .. but off the ball and teamwork was s***, didnt really contribute much imo unless the ball was lead to his feet on the edge of the box..  i would personally cash in if the price was right. not just for a few million though

This.

"was our best player this year "

shows how poor we were then.

what i saw with martins, was attacking moves breaking down because he repeatedly made wrong choices.  His touch and positioning are really poor for an international.

Maybe he does deserve the chance to improve, but if he doesnt then his value will decrease by 40%  maybe sam is confident he can regenerate him.

Signing deam ashton would be a wise move.  He would combine very well with viduka. 

Not sure is hes fully recovered though? The only doubt

All true - the only doubt I have about Ashton is whether he will fully recover from the ankle injury ; Kewell suffered something similar, and has never regained the quality he had at Leeds(keeps getting niggles with the ankle..).

Otherwise, would swap them in an instant - and NO, its NOT because 'He's English..' Ashton is a very promising CF, and probably W Hams best player before he got injured.

17 goals included 6 goals against poor opposition in the Uefa Cup. That's why I just think he did ok. I think he was joint 12th highest goalscorer in the Premier League. I know we were poor last season etc. So was he a fair bit of the time though.

Bored.

He's not gonna go and i'm fucking happy about it.

Did well last season against every single odd known to man, and will get better. If he works in Sam's formation we'll have a dynamite attack.

Did Bolton expect 15 goals from Ricketts in his first year providing killer balls for Nicky Southall & Henrik Pedersen?

This Ricketts comparison is just stupid, Martins was a good player for 3 years at Inter Milan, playing well in the champions league etc..

Darren Bent is being rated at £18m! We shouldn't sell unless we can definitely get better and I am not sure we can. Bellamy for £9m is way over the odds given he looks like he is possibly on the way down and has had serious injury problems throughout his career. For someone who relies a lot on pace it would be a massive gamble and thats not even considering his attitude problems!

My problem with Martins is that when he has a good game, he has a GOOD game, and when he has a bad game, we all know about it. If he can improve on his general all round play, then we've got ourselves a really good player but atm, all he's done is scored some goals, in games when he hasn't scored, he's been a waste of a player on the pitch.

My problem with Martins is that when he has a good game, he has a GOOD game, and when he has a bad game, we all know about it. If he can improve on his general all round play, then we've got ourselves a really good player but atm, all he's done is scored some goals, in games when he hasn't scored, he's been a waste of a player on the pitch.

Same can be said for Owen a lot of the time. When he isn't scoring he often does fuck all aswell.

Yep... it's a shame he's over the hill, beyond any devlopment, with a shit backroom staff and manager behind him, and no decent partners to play with. We're doomed. This is the Martins we've got. He won't improve, folks.

Same can be said for Owen a lot of the time. When he isn't scoring he often does f*** all aswell.

Could be true, but what I've seen of Owen, even just these past few games for England, when he isn't scoring, he still makes a few good passes and movements - it may not be enough for a good Premiership forward but he is still a better all round player than Martins (probably due to age)

Yep... it's a shame he's over the hill, beyond any devlopment, with a s*** backroom staff and manager behind him, and no decent partners to play with. We're doomed. This is the Martins we've got. He won't improve, folks.

:lol: I didn't say he wasn't going to improve

Again though, if Inter thought Martins was going to improve a great deal, why would they sell him at 21?

Good point, what's their financial situation like? (I know that's probably a stupid question :lol: ) could they have needed the £10m? Perhaps it was too good to turn down

Again though, if Inter thought Martins was going to improve a great deal, why would they sell him at 21?

Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Hernan Crespo. Alvero Recoba. Adriano. Julio Cruz. Aswell as the likes of Stankovic. And the chance to cash in £10m.

Same can be said for Owen a lot of the time. When he isn't scoring he often does f*** all aswell.

Could be true, but what I've seen of Owen, even just these past few games for England, when he isn't scoring, he still makes a few good passes and movements - it may not be enough for a good Premiership forward but he is still a better all round player than Martins (probably due to age)

True Owen's movement is generally beneficial to the team. Not sure you could say the same about Martins. I think Martins workrate is good though. Just his movement isn't very intelligent. That has to improve. He is only young though and last season was his first in a new country in a poor side with a shit manager.

because they had better options in Zlatan, Adriano and Crespo.. meaning that Martins wouldn't get enough games.

Mancini is hardly the benchmark of a successful manager.. not sure why you insist on that argument, it's as daft as the Ricketts one..

True Owen's movement is generally beneficial to the team. Not sure you could say the same about Martins. I think Martins workrate is good though. Just his movement isn't very intelligent. That has to improve. He is only young though and last season was his first in a new country in a poor side with a s*** manager.

wonder owens movement be so good if he played up front on his own ?

Martins was basically replaced by Ibrahomivic wasn't he? Good move on their part, that's why they sold him.

True Owen's movement is generally beneficial to the team. Not sure you could say the same about Martins. I think Martins workrate is good though. Just his movement isn't very intelligent. That has to improve. He is only young though and last season was his first in a new country in a poor side with a s*** manager.

I agree, Martins definitely has the ability, there's no doubting that. His only problem is how he uses that ability and what he does on the pitch. He has yet to develop the footballing brain so that he can make the right passes and the right movement and work as a team player - that was his biggest problem, working as part of a team.

He rarely passed to people when he got the ball (and when he did, it was often the wrong pass). It was if when he got the ball, all he could see was the net and his contribution nearly always had to result in a shot from him. If he can mature over the next few years and develop his non-goalscoring ability on the pitch, who knows?