Big Sam "I cant stop Owen Leaving"

Decky

Guest DavB93

Really just hope it's all sort sooner rather than later, if he wants to bugger off then fine but do it NOW so that we can start the rebuilding process without him.

I'd still like David Nugent brought in along with Darren Bent.

Really just hope it's all sort sooner rather than later, if he wants to bugger off then fine but do it NOW so that we can start the rebuilding process without him.

I'd still like David Nugent brought in along with Darren Bent.

Then he'll have to be pushed. He won't jump till the very last second, because he'll want to hold out till he knows precisely what's on offer. There's a good chance one of the CL sides (English or even continental) will fail to sign their first choice striker and with 20m burning a hole in their pocket, will decide it's worth spending half of it on a player who, if fit, guarantees 15+ league goals a season and is proven EPL quality.

I wish he'd just go and sam can take a true register of who's in the class.  If he was determined to stay it would obviously be so simple to say so and shut the gossip up.

Guest thenorthumbrian

From NUFC.COM - spot on -

"Latest quotes from Sam Allardyce seem to be paving the way for the departure of Michael Owen from SJP:

"If Michael wants to go there's nothing I can do, if another club triggers his release clause.

"We're benefiting from a release clause to get Joey Barton, but we could also suffer because of Michael's."

Of course that's the same release clause that didn't exist when the Chairman was quizzed some months ago...

It remains to be seen whether anything has really changed since Owen joined us two years ago - and there's now another club out there willing to meet the player's wage demands.

For Owen to leave for one of the "big" clubs would stick in the throat, but we'd struggle to conjure up anything resembling surprise were it to happen.

However to see him sling his hook to someone flush with "new money" would be nothing short of a bloody disgrace - West Ham or Aston Villa etc.

Perhaps we should be grateful Owen doesn't have any Irish blood in him....

The bottom line though is that loyalty and conscience aren't words in the vocabulary of present-day footballers - the cash-rich moral -free football world has no place for those, except when season tickets and replica strips are needing to be bought.

The release clause in the original contract was agreed upon by a club desperate to sign Owen at any cost to paper over the cracks.

On that basis the Owen injury has been almost irrelevant to his effectiveness as a Newcastle player - had he been fit and playing well then he'd already have departed, unless we were top of the league.

And had he not been eyeing the exit door after speaking to the third manager of his time in Toon, then a short and simple statement would have sufficed:

Thanks for paying me while I was crippled and thanks for the rehab. I hereby promise to stick around to wear them new shirts I've been modeling more than just the once.

Let's just remember what he said last year when he knew he was going to be sidelined for the best part of a year:

"The injury is a big blow because after the World Cup, I was really looking forward to the new season with Newcastle.

"Now I have to accept I'm going to be out for a while again, but what will help me is the support of the fans, and I really appreciate all the messages they have sent in and their best wishes.

"And I look forward to the day I can thank them by getting back out on the pitch and scoring goals for the team in a Newcastle shirt."

Quite frankly this time round Owen's post-Premiership press utterances have been pathetic: happy to whittle on about England, his old Madrid mate Becks and even the chances of his Anfield pals lifting silverware in Athens last month.

But a word for the fans of the club that pays his monstrous salary? No, that's off-limits.

We did at least merit a mention in the player's own newspaper column last week, but it was some way short of the pledge of allegiance that the chairman requested some weeks ago:

"Now it is holiday time, but I’ll be keeping an eye on what is unfolding at Newcastle United. It is a period of change, from the boardroom to the dressing room, but everything points to renewed ambition."

In real terms, Shepherd's Owen gamble failed at White Hart Lane on the last day of 2005 and again six months later in Cologne.

The fallout from that is still is be felt fully - but is it too really much to ask to be put out of our misery and told?

If he's staying - lovely, super, smashing.

If he's away, do it now.

Don't appear in the team photo, don't do the pre-season training, nil, nowt, nothing.

The Ashley/Allardyce era deserves to start with a clean slate and not be overshadowed by a "will he/won't he" saga leading up to August 31st and beyond.

PS: The Sunday Sun came up with an interesting angle that may see Owen at least start the season in a black and white shirt:

But with the Premiership's top clubs likely to want further proof of his fitness, Owen may stay put at Newcastle until at least January, when his release fee - which drops by 25 per cent a year - would stand below £9 million"

http://www.nufc.com/

Guest johnson293

It was denied.

There never been any denial of a release clause related to a particluar fee, and/or lack of qualification for certain competitions.

What Freddy did deny was the existence of a clause that allows Owen to leave after one year. That was the only clause that was denied. He did say that Owen had clauses in his contract but that was definitely not one of them.

^ this is correct - the exact quotes from Shepherd at the time of Owen signing have been posted on here before.

Guest graemeh72

Lets just get rid ...

He's a great finisher and I'd love to see him play 30+ games next year - but he doesn't want to be here ... he won't come out and say that he wants to be here.... his silence speaks volumes .....

He's gone down in my estimation big time

Goodbye and make it snappy

Aye, I'm sick of his silence, talks volumes if you ask me...

He must know the crack, that the whole of Newcastle is waiting for him to reassure them about playing next season. It's obvious that he's biding his time to see if the big four come up with an offer and he'll be off like a shot, otherwise he'll bite his tongue and play up to christmas with beady eyes on a move then when his fitness has been proven to the other managers and also if any of them are short of a striker for the champs league...

What a mercenary wannker if you ask me! Just my opinion like...