Serie A on Channel Five?

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Italian football is to return to terrestrial television for the first time since 2002 after Channel Five picked up the rights.

Five is expected to air Italian football coverage from the start of the 2007-8 season later this year, with output to be made by sports production company Sunset+Vine.

Sunset+Vine, a subsidiary of Welsh firm Tinopolis, already produces cricket highlights for Five.

"The main deal is for a highlights programme, although Five do have the rights for live matches as well," said Ron Jones, the executive chairman of Tinopolis.

Article continues

Channel 4 first brought Serie A football to UK television in 1992 following the move of Paul Gascoigne to Lazio and screened matches and highlights until 2002, when it dropped coverage.

The rights were picked up by British Eurosport midway through 2002, with the channel screening matches until 2005, when Bravo and Setanta Sports took over in a joint deal.

Bravo announced it would not be screening any more matches from the end of December last year because of poor ratings.

Italian football is best known on UK TV for the Channel 4 Football Italia show, presented by James Richardson.

A Saturday morning show, Gazzetta, was voiced by the late Kenneth Wolstenholme and also shown on Channel 4.

A Five spokesman declined to comment.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/continentalfootball/story/0,,2101055,00.html

Guest Toon83

Excellent. Hope James Richardson is hosting it.

Was just about to say the same thing, James Richardson is a living legend in the sports journalism business

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Could be good, with any luck they'll get James Richardson to present it because without him it would be a pointless effort... OMG... OMG GREAT MINDS GREAT MINDS

Guest Knightrider

Aye, James Richardson is the daddy of footy presenting, used to love Gazzetta in the 90s, not too fussed about Serie A these days but if on domestic telly, will try and get back into it. People slag C5 like but I like their shows, much better than MOTD or Sky games for me, wooden and shite pundits like but I just like the cobbled together style and not the slick style of say Sky. Gazzetta was an awesome show though in every sense. Why can't MOTD be like that?

I hope they use Colin Murray and Pat Nevin. More fun than the rest of the other channel's presenters put together. Give James Richardson the John Barnes role. Give John Barnes the corner flag's role. Give Joe Royle a miss too, top bloke but I can just imagine him bleating on about every 50p headed muppet who can jump a bit being "great in the air". :tickedoff:

i quite enjoyed Joe Royle's so bad its good commentary on our games on 5 last season. The amateurish approach is a lot more endearing than John Motson reciting the 82/83 Rothmans year book every time he opens his mouth.

At least you got the feeling listening to Joe Royle that he actually quite likes us and wanted us to win the matches.

At least you got the feeling listening to Joe Royle that he actually quite likes us and wanted us to win the matches.

True, but he also rates Ramage highly for some bizarre reason.

And Bramble. Ramage though :lol:

Guest Knightrider

To be fair to the Ramage, he hasn't done too badly for us in UEFA games, and neither did the whole team until Alkmaar away so you can kind of see why Royle may regard him as an OK player based on what he's been watching of him.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

To be fair to the Ramage, he hasn't done too badly for us in UEFA games, and neither did the whole team until Alkmaar away so you can kind of see why Royle may regard him as an OK player based on what he's been watching of him.

And they said this man has taste. Well no they didn't actually

No real comments to make but that made me laugh for some reason.