St James' Park

Guest smoggeordie

When our takeover went through, immediately we started hearing stories along the lines of "OMFG!!!! Lerner wants to rename the ground!!!".

The general consensus was:

1. He probably doesn't (and has since said it is not on the agenda).

2. Even if he did, we'd still call it Villa Park.

3. So would everyone else. You won't find many of our fans referring to the Doug Ellis Stand, for example, and I'm sure none of you refer to the Newcastle Brown Stand.

I'd have thought naming rights for old, established grounds like VP, SJP, Goodison etc etc would actually not fetch that much anyway, purely because in the same way we know they'd always be called by their proper name, so do potential sponsors. New stadia are a different matter, mind.

I'd have thought naming rights for old, established grounds like VP, SJP, Goodison etc etc would actually not fetch that much anyway, purely because in the same way we know they'd always be called by their proper name, so do potential sponsors. New stadia are a different matter, mind.

Spot on. What's the point if nobody uses the name? Waste of time and effort.

Spot on. What's the point if nobody uses the name? Waste of time and effort.

Worked for the Snickers bar....

Guest Invicta_Toon

Always has, and always will be MARATHON.

that's shite tbh

I was raised on Marathon's, but haven't thought of that name in regards Snickers bars for years

Anyway, I doubt there's much cash in changing the name of somewhere which would continue to be called by its previous name anyway. It's not as old as St James's Park in that London, which is an actual park rather than a football stadium [/Mr Logic]

It should be James's, James not being plural.

Yes it bothers me! ;)

having the apostrophe after the s signifies its the park belonging to St James (whoever he is/was/wasn't)

Yes, I know, and James not being plural it requires a further s

St James's.

Yes it bothers me! ;)

having the apostrophe after the s signifies its the park belonging to St James (whoever he is/was/wasn't)

St James's.

Both St James' and St James's are right. There are two alternative rules for that, depends which you choose.

Yes it bothers me! ;)

St James's.

it has been written that way in some broadsheet newspapers if that consoles your anguish.