Wenger reportedly wants Oba for 13 million according to Sun.

madras

Players get paid what they are offered by clubs wanting to employ them. Not sure why it's always a reason to hate a player tbh.

Don't think anyone here is, tbh. IE - hating Owen cos he's on such massive wages. I'm just saying that he's done nothing more than Martins on the pitch, that justifies him being on £40,000-a-week extra, so Oba's entitled to a moan.

More of a general comment.

Do you think over a season, Martins would have the same effect as Owen?

Owen has been here a season longer than Martins and Oba's still had a greater effect on the team. :rolleyes:

Aye Pongle, just made the point above.

End of the day it comes down to the fans being willing to pay £30+ for match tickets and £40+ per month for Sky. The money snowballs and players/agents want their cut, rightly or wrongly.

Perhaps it would have been nice if this Sky contract thing had not happened, forcing clubs to rethink wages. But would they have simply added costs to what we already pay?

Guest Invicta_Toon

going rate has fuck all to do with anything

going rate suggests a supply and demand at work, no-one is going to suggest footballers are rarer than ten years ago surely? or that the standard of football played by them has increased 100%?

going rate suggests a supply and demand at work, no-one is going to suggest footballers are rarer than ten years ago surely? or that the standard of football played by them has increased 100%?

Going rate is what you have to pay to keep your players, or else someone else will.

going rate has f*** all to do with anything

Going rate is what you have to pay to keep your players, or else someone else will.

I stand by my point on TV money. As long as clubs are getting that amount of money in, the players have every right to expect it.

Guest Dr. Pongle

Silly me, here's me thinking players would still play for money that they would have been earning in the 70's when another club can offer them a contract that will make them a millionaire after 10 weeks.

I stand by my point on TV money. As long as clubs are getting that amount of money in, the players have every right to expect it.

Which is why i'm not sure the bigger re-negotiated Sky contract was a good thing. I thought everyone was expecting it to drop massively this time btw?

Guest Invicta_Toon

aye well fuck them then.

I would point their greedy nose bags in the direction of Italy and Leeds United

Guest Dr. Pongle

End of the day it comes down to the fans being willing to pay £30+ for match tickets and £40+ per month for Sky. The money snowballs and players/agents want their cut, rightly or wrongly.

Perhaps it would have been nice if this Sky contract thing had not happened, forcing clubs to rethink wages. But would they have simply added costs to what we already pay?

The solution is simple.

Cap wages.

The solution is simple.

Cap wages.

I'd agree, but is there not a problem with the EU with that approach?

I'd prefer to see a performance/appearance-related wage in all honesty.

That's what it needs. For the TV companies to instead pay £400m, if they offered say £50m for the coverage of Premier League games.

That way, clubs wouldn't be able to afford such wages and fees and they'd have to accept lower wages.

That, or the league would do to how it was before Sky came along where there were no big-name foreign players, and the standard of football was generally sh*t.

aye well f*** them then.

And enjoy the likes of Mark Robins, Steve Morrow, Mike Marsh and Joe Allon at the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool & Chelsea again rather than Ronaldo, Gallas, Mascherano & Drogba.

Guest Invicta_Toon

aye well f*** them then.

And enjoy the likes of Mark Robins, Steve Morrow, Mike Marsh and Joe Allon at the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool & Chelsea again rather than Ronaldo, Gallas, Mascherano & Drogba.

what's your point? your glad these players have inflated wages so much the league could go the way of Italy? once the TV companies realise they are getting shafted, they simply stop paying, then your precious Ronaldo fucks off to whichever league is the new rich men

The solution is simple.

Cap wages.

Easy way round that though. Offer basic salary but include huge bonuses for league placing/goals/assists etc.

Good idea but it would be exploited imo.

They have inflated wages, because clubs are paid inflated fees by the TV companies because they want these stars on their TV channels. If a club is given £40m a season or whatever, then that club has to accept that a large chunk of that goes to it's players.

Simple really.

Guest Dr. Pongle

The solution is simple.

Cap wages.

I'd agree, but is there not a problem with the EU with that approach?

I'd prefer to see a performance/appearance-related wage in all honesty.

I've no idea. As for pay-as-you-play contracts, I reckon they should only be offered to players who have Darren Andertonesque injury problems.

Guest Invicta_Toon

They have inflated wages, because clubs are paid inflated fees by the TV companies because they want these stars on their TV channels. If a club is given £40m a season or whatever, then that club has to accept that a large chunk of that goes to it's players.

Simple really.

if your short sighted enough to think that trend will never end. players are not innocent bystanders here

The solution is simple.

Cap wages.

Easy way round that though. Offer basic salary but include huge bonuses for league placing/goals/assists etc.

Good idea but it would be exploited imo.

Huge bonuses that would have to be actually earnt though, which would be far more palatable for me.

Simple really.

if your short sighted enough to think that trend will never end. players are not innocent bystanders here

So would you rather see average players playing average football in England's top flight again then?