What does 433 mean for our wingers?

Lloydie

Guest trotter58

Here's how i think you'll line up at the Reebok (4-5-1)

Given

Carr      Taylor        Rozenhaal        Babayaro

Butt         

Emre          Barton

Owen                                                  Martins

Viduka

Guest Johan

Given

Carr       Taylor        Rozenhaal         Babayaro

Butt          

Emre          Barton

Owen                                                   Martins

Viduka

Hehe, hopefully not with those two clowns as full backs:) You think our signing is over then I take it?

Given

Geremi   Taylor   Rozahnal   Baines

Butt   

Barton    Emre

Milner                           Martins

Viduka

Would be nice if Owen left

If 433 i'd go:

Geremi Taylor Rozehnal  ????

Barton  Butt   Emre

Milner     Owen   Martins

Subs: Krul, Edgar, Dyer, Viduka/Ameobi, Zoggy/Nobby/Luque?

Excellent post by the thread starter, it's something I've been wondering about myself.

But if you break it down like this there isn't a big problem...

Solano and Dyer and to a lesser extent Milner and N'Zogbia can all play in other positions. Ameobi would be fighting with Viduka for that target man spot. That would leave Duff, Martins, Luque and Owen fighting for two wing-forward spots, and that sounds about right to me. Add the fact that Duff is out until November and that there's every chance Luque could go in the next transfer window and I don't see a big problem. Solano's contract expires at the end of the season too.

Getting back to N'Zogbia and Milner, I don't believe either are suited to playing in a midfield two, where the ability to maintain possession and pull your weight is important. But playing further forward in a midfield three is a different matter, as you've got two midfielders behind you.

Overall I think we're alright in terms of numbers. There's certainly no room for Gudjohnsen unless Martins goes. All we need are defenders and maybe a DM to challenge Butt. Though if we did bring in a DM it would open up a fresh can of worms as we'd have a load of players chasing those three positions.

Well I wouldn't. But someone was saying a few days back that Owen was played wide right by Real Madrid and did well there...?

I don't recall Owen playing wide right for Real though I could be wrong. He was there under Luxemburgo who favoured the 4-4-2 diamond midfield formation. He may have played wide right towards the end of the season but it certainly wasn't a regular occurrence.

Personally I think playing Owen wide right in a 4-3-3 would be a serious waste of his talents. I'm sure he'd play OK because he works hard, has a good first touch and can dribble but his best talent is getting behind defenders and finishing and he'll get far less opportunity to do that playing out wide.

While I agree with the notion that no man is bigger than the team, I also believe that we should play to our strengths. We've got a world class finisher, someone who will take most of the chances that come his way and will nick half chances to win us tight games, and we're looking at putting him out wide???

Given

Butt          

Emre          Barton

Viduka

Viduka won't be here first several games due to Asia cup apparently. So Milner or Dyer or perhaps even Ameobi will start instead probably. Plus as has already been mentioned i'd be shocked if those two fullbacks even get near the bench. Will be Geremi + New LB?

Guest trotter58

Given

Butt         

Emre          Barton

Viduka

Viduka won't be here first several games due to Asia cup apparently. So Milner or Dyer or perhaps even Ameobi will start instead probably. Plus as has already been mentioned i'd be shocked if those two fullbacks even get near the bench. Will be Geremi + New LB?

The personel may change, the formation won't.

Guest exilim

Given

Butt          

Emre          Barton

Viduka

Sounds like you are complaining about being in the top flight with his same and boring formation uh?

Guest zerocipher

Given

Butt         

Emre          Barton

Viduka

Depending on the personell, it could change greatly. Don't just sit here and make shit posts because your pissed were taking the best 1/3 of your staff. If you think that formations dont change because certain players cna and cant play, you must be watching the MLS every week not the PL.

Guest trotter58
Sounds like you are complaining about being in the top flight with his same and boring formation uh?

Say again in English.

Guest trotter58
Depending on the personell, it could change greatly. Don't just sit here and make s*** posts because your pissed were taking the best 1/3 of your staff. If you think that formations dont change because certain players cna and cant play, you must be watching the MLS every week not the PL.

Our personel changed massively over the last eight seasons, our formation didn't. My opinion is based on fact, yours appears to be based on fantasy.

Depending on the personell, it could change greatly. Don't just sit here and make s*** posts because your pissed were taking the best 1/3 of your staff. If you think that formations dont change because certain players cna and cant play, you must be watching the MLS every week not the PL.

Our personel changed massively over the last eight seasons, our formation didn't. My opinion is based on fact, yours appears to be based on fantasy.

well your 'personel' could never touch ours so don't make silly assumptions

welcome to the board though

Guest trotter58
]well your 'personel' could never touch ours so don't make silly assumptions

Again the facts don't support your opinion. We have finished in the top eight for each of the last four seasons and qualified for the UEFA Cup in two of the last three seasons. During that time the only teams who have accumulated more points than us are, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. So statistically, over the last four seasons, we are the fifth best team in the Premier League.

]well your 'personel' could never touch ours so don't make silly assumptions

Again the facts don't support your opinion. We have finished in the top eight for each of the last four seasons and qualified for the UEFA Cup in two of the last three seasons. During that time the only teams who have accumulated more points than us are, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. So statistically, over the last four seasons, we are the fifth best team in the Premier League.

completely irrelevant

the players make the formation, not the other way around

we have the players to play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, so you cannot project any 'facts' of your team onto ours

Guest trotter58
completely irrelevant

we have the players to play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, so you cannot project any 'facts' of your team onto ours

I suspect that the facts are 'irrelevant' because they don't support your argument that you have better players.

You really don't know much about Big Sam do you? Name one club where he has played 4-4-2? We also have three strikers. Davies, Diouff and Anelka but we played 4-5-1. Big Sam has achieved all his success with this formation so why would he switch to a formation he isn't familiar with?

Is it effective? Yes. Is it pretty to watch? No.

completely irrelevant

I suspect that the facts are 'irrelevant' because they don't support your argument that you have better players.

You really don't know much about Big Sam do you? Name one club where he has played 4-4-2? We also have three strikers. Davies, Diouff and Anelka but we played 4-5-1. Big Sam has achieved all his success with this formation so why would he switch to a formation he isn't familiar with?

Is it effective? Yes. Is it pretty to watch? No.

they are irrelevant because they don't support or contradict anything

i said you didn't have the players that we have. Then you start going on about points accumulated???

why?

Guest trotter58
they are irrelevant because they don't support or contradict anything

i said you didn't have the players that we have. Then you start going on about points accumulated???

why?

Because it's generally accepted that the position a team finishes is an indication of how good they are. Except of course on 'Planet Newcastle' where much better players produce season after season of failure!