U20's World Cup (Edgarwatch)

Guest optimistic nit

Guest optimistic nit

i don't know whether nunez for cananda has just come on, or whether he didn't touch the ball in the first half, but he's the first canadian midfielder to look capable of creating something.

Guest optimistic nit

iirc the uruguay 5 and 18 were the two who combined to set up the first goal, well number 5 passes to number 18 who thunders it in.

Guest optimistic nit

lovely goal 3-0 chile. vidal and venan gosse lovely build up. Subsitute striker managed to go in between edgar and his defensive parter to get on the end of a cross. one of the two should have got there first blueyes.gif

Guest optimistic nit

full time.

3 star men:

Isla (centre back, very calm on the ball. wen't on a few dribbles from the centre back position)

Cortez (lots of tricks, good dribbles and stuff)

Vernan Gosse (same as cortez, set up the third)

Edgar played well i thought. comfortable on the ball, won all the balls that he needed to win. gave away a cheap freekick in the first, and should have done better for their 3rd, but is far and away their best defender. The two fullbacks were a bit slow to the ball, and gave away a few fouls (one of which resulted in the second goal), both were booked. The number 5 (edgars centreback partner) slipped on the ball for the first goal, and lost his man due to ball watching for the second. he also could have done better for the third (as could edgar).

Capel looking very good in the spain game.

Just scored a stunning 93rd minute equaliser.  Moments after Pique had a goal ruled out for handball.

Guest optimistic nit

feels extremely satisfying to have successfully scouted a player btw. hopefully zimba plays a cracker vs spain (coincidently against capel if he plays on the left as he did in the first half) to further inflate my ego :coolsmiley:

Guest keego_nufc

Edgar and the boys are back in action vs. Austria tonight as they look to rebound from the loss.

full time.

3 star men:

Isla (centre back, very calm on the ball. wen't on a few dribbles from the centre back position)

Cortez (lots of tricks, good dribbles and stuff)

Vernan Gosse (same as cortez, set up the third)

Edgar played well i thought. comfortable on the ball, won all the balls that he needed to win. gave away a cheap freekick in the first, and should have done better for their 3rd, but is far and away their best defender. The two fullbacks were a bit slow to the ball, and gave away a few fouls (one of which resulted in the second goal), both were booked. The number 5 (edgars centreback partner) slipped on the ball for the first goal, and lost his man due to ball watching for the second. he also could have done better for the third (as could edgar).

His center back partner is Marcus Haber of FC Gronignen and I know he looks like hes edgar's age but hes only an 89 so hes pretty inexperienced but generally good.

those 3 were behind the goal.

If you're talking about the Canada game, then the three behind the goal would have been Edgar's sister and cousins. I was standing with them, but in a Canada shirt. I was right drunk, so I was walking up to everyone in toon shirts and talking to them.

On Monday, I was wearing last year's 3rd shirt. I had a Liverpool fan tell me to f*ck off just for wearing it. I guess he knew we would be taking their spot in the top four soon enough.

Guest optimistic nit

edgar plays a very good 50 yard crossfield ball directly to the feet of the canada left winger whose cross just fails to reach its man.

Guest optimistic nit

i cant believe i've been watching 2 games, and seen no goals. yawnfest. edgar doing well though. must say i was scheptical about him, but he seems pretty good.

Guest Moe-Ali

I was at the Canada match today in Edmonton...David Edgar is one of the most over-rated players i've ever known.

I, myself being from Canada and watching the national team play every chance i get, can tell you, he is not even the 3rd best player in the u-20's

The best player in the u-20s is Jamie Peters.

Second best is my old mate Zach Kahltoff, in my opinion he is a better goalkeeper than Asmir Begovic, no bias, Begovic is shite.

Third best would be Andrea Lombardo

Guest optimistic nit

I can't agree with you there. I'm judging this on this tourement alone, but edgar has been the best player for canada here, from the 150minutes i've seen. Peters has been dissapointing here imo. seen highlights of the brazil game, where he was superb, but the whole of the midfield have created 0 chances in the two games i've watched. the front 6 have been very dissapointing, and is why canada are out imo. no good chances for canada in two games is not good. Both fullbacks have been pretty poor as well, although they were better in the second game than the first. Haber was at fault for 3/4 of the goals canada have conceded so far (its harsh to blame something like this on an 18 year old, but he slipped on the ball for the first and lost his marker for the next 3, and the keeper has been shite in both games, so if only by default, edgar is canada's best player ;)

he has good passing, composure and positioning. his main weakness imo is when players are running at him. seen him make two desperate lunges nowhere near the ball on either.

I won't understand for the life of me why our coach waited so long to bring in a seconder striker. Lombardo should have been in there much earlier. The only realy chances Canada got came from Lombardo in the last 10 minutes. If they had made that change at the 60 minute mark, things could have been different.

Personally, I thought that Edgar played well last night. He did make some mistakes in the opener, though.

Moe-Ali, how was the crowd in Edmonton? It looked pretty sparce on TV.