U20's World Cup (Edgarwatch)

Guest optimistic nit

Guest Moe-Ali

Well, it certainly was not as bad as it could have been, atleast not for a city like edmonton. but it was sad to see as many empty seats as we did.

And yes, i agree, lombardo should have come on earlier, he did well to put jackson in there in the last little while.

Nyt, i think you make some very good points there, but i just cant stand how edgar is soo hyped up over here just because he's scored against manchester united, i've kicked a ball with alot of the players on that team, and edgar is not THAT much better than any of them, sure he has more experience, he's played at the highest level. but i believe he needs to learn a couple things before anymore hype comes his way, he needs to learn not to lunge, he needs to play CB, not sweep across the whole back four there because he thinks he is sergio ramos, because if he gets into the habbit of moving around too much as a centre back, he will be caught napping in the premier league.

Also, i think Edgar's timing in the tackle is bad, this being based on the 3-4 fouls he has given away so far in the tournament.

Other than that, he is a great prospect, just needs to work on a few things before he is all hyped up. For me, Haber is just as good, he has less experience, but is an equal prospect.

Guest tbelcher11

U.S. just beat Brazil 2-1.  A 17 year old named Jozy Altidore put one in the net in the 25th minute then again in the 81.  Big win for the Yanks.  Looks good because all teams will field their best team and to get a win over a powerhouse like Brazil says good stuff about football, the real kind, in America.

Guest tbelcher11

And irish-american and african-american and mexican-american, etc.  That's the thing about the U.S. that you probably wouldn't know if you didn't live here.  We're not a very old country, so we don't really have american-americans yet.  Hahaha, we treated the ones who used to be here like shit.  So instead we have names like Adu, Mastroeni, Onyewu, Altidore (even though i have no idea where he's from), etc.

Onyewu = pile of s****

but yeah, I see your point. Just seemed funny during wc06, game vs Italy, every name mentioned from both sides seemes to be italian.

Got to say, spent a lot of time in the US and without the italians the food over there would be worse than over here

Guest tuanen

First time posting, I joined back when Onyweu signed... we all know how that one went  :blush: So much for the first world class USA field player.

Anyways, this is the generation Americans keep talking about when we say we're finally coming along ;) Altidore I think could develop into a great Prem player. He's big, strong, fast and finishes very well. Any team would be lucky to have him. He's also tied for first for highest scoring in the tournament with two other Americans (Adu and Szetela) and Aguerro from Atletico Madrid.

Even more off-topic (sorry, just responding to the above) is that the starting line-up featuring 1 player eligible for Nigeria, 1 for Ghana, 1 for Haiti (Altidore), 1 for Italy, 1 and 1 for Poland.

Hope this isn't straying too far from you guys tracking your Canadian. And it looks like things are finally looking up for the entire organisation for you guys, it's about time.

First time posting, I joined back when Onyweu signed... we all know how that one went  :blush: So much for the first world class USA field player.

Anyways, this is the generation Americans keep talking about when we say we're finally coming along ;) Altidore I think could develop into a great Prem player. He's big, strong, fast and finishes very well. Any team would be lucky to have him. He's also tied for first for highest scoring in the tournament with two other Americans (Adu and Szetela) and Aguerro from Atletico Madrid.

Even more off-topic (sorry, just responding to the above) is that the starting line-up featuring 1 player eligible for Nigeria, 1 for Ghana, 1 for Haiti (Altidore), 1 for Italy, 1 and 1 for Poland.

Hope this isn't straying too far from you guys tracking your Canadian. And it looks like things are finally looking up for the entire organisation for you guys, it's about time.

welcome to the forum, keep the posts coming. US players will obviously have the benfit of terrific conditioning facilities so I expect to see a few more making an impact in the premiership in the next few years

Guest tbelcher11

I think Onyewu could be something if he had another year or two to try to redeem himself.  He's physical enough to be competitive in a world class league, it's just a matter of him being able to become comfortable in any system.  But Jozy Altidore is someone who everybody needs to be looking.  He's a big guy, he's quick, can finish, and has a good head for the game.  Watch for him to show up somewhere on a major stage in the next couple of years.

Guest optimistic nit

Moe-Ali: i agree on your point about lunges. he made a really bad foul in the first game (i mentioned it in earlier pages) which didn't really cost canada much, was just pretty stupid, but apart from that i don't think he's done too badly on that aspect. I don't recieve any of the edgar hype in britain, and was always wary of him getting overhyped here because of his goal vs manu, but i've been impressed with him. He looks like a defender, and one that is very comfortable on the ball with good passing and other such attributes. he does have a few problems, but its definately possible that in the future he becomes a premiership standard centreback or better, which is more than can be said for ramage and other players who have come up through the ranks.

Guest keego_nufc

I was at the Canada match today in Edmonton...David Edgar is one of the most over-rated players i've ever known.

I, myself being from Canada and watching the national team play every chance i get, can tell you, he is not even the 3rd best player in the u-20's

The best player in the u-20s is Jamie Peters.

Second best is my old mate Zach Kahltoff, in my opinion he is a better goalkeeper than Asmir Begovic, no bias, Begovic is s****.

Third best would be Andrea Lombardo

Kalthoff better then Begovic?

lol

Begovic is amazing there is a reason he is so highly rated by Portsmouth.  What has he done wrong this tourney he is excellent going up for the ball and has excellent handling skills and has made some very impressive saves he also rarely gives up rebounds.

Kalthoff is 3rd keeper btw

Guest keego_nufc

Oh also here is how I would rank Canada's players (u20 of course)

1. Begovic - no doubt in my mind this kid will be on portsmouth soon

2. Peters - Speed, speed and speed.  A great player on the wing who has been dissapointing so far but will be an EPL player one day.

3. Edgar - Composed, big, physical and smart

4. Johnson - SC Heerenveen midfielder, a relentless worker

5. Keegan Ayre - This may be a shock to many but I love the way this kid plays.  He will be on the Hibernian 1st team next season

Guest Moe-Ali

I was at the Canada match today in Edmonton...David Edgar is one of the most over-rated players i've ever known.

I, myself being from Canada and watching the national team play every chance i get, can tell you, he is not even the 3rd best player in the u-20's

The best player in the u-20s is Jamie Peters.

Second best is my old mate Zach Kahltoff, in my opinion he is a better goalkeeper than Asmir Begovic, no bias, Begovic is s****.

Third best would be Andrea Lombardo

Kalthoff better then Begovic?

lol

Begovic is amazing there is a reason he is so highly rated by Portsmouth.  What has he done wrong this tourney he is excellent going up for the ball and has excellent handling skills and has made some very impressive saves he also rarely gives up rebounds.

Kalthoff is 3rd keeper btw

I know how begovic is rated, he's not been that good at the tournament tho, hasnt lived up to his 'rating'

Zach is one of my best friends, i went to highschool with him, he's a great guy, and a very good goalkeeper.

Go on, have your opinion, its what this forum is all about, i appreciate you telling me how you feel about my post  tho, thanks.

Oh also here is how I would rank Canada's players (u20 of course)

1. Begovic - no doubt in my mind this kid will be on portsmouth soon

2. Peters - Speed, speed and speed.  A great player on the wing who has been dissapointing so far but will be an EPL player one day.

3. Edgar - Composed, big, physical and smart

4. Johnson - SC Heerenveen midfielder, a relentless worker

5. Keegan Ayre - This may be a shock to many but I love the way this kid plays.  He will be on the Hibernian 1st team next season

Johnson is a good little player, but he missed a sitter the other game,

For me peters is the best on the team.

But i agree with you alot man.

Guest Moe-Ali

I don't know. Onyewu, to me, isn't all that great. And he should have cost the US the Gold Cup against Canada, except that the referee made the worst call in football history.  :rant:

:lol:

Wow, now that was embarrassing.  First team to not score a goal or register a point.  Pathetic. 

Also, I realize it was raining, but that turnout was shocking.  75% of the Stadium was empty. Should

have played all the games in Toronto. 

and bonk, im from the same CITY as england's top performer @ wc'06 :lol:

A Calgarian, huh? Time to change your sig, mate.  :D  Well done for being at the Austrian game, Moe. 

Dale Mitchell is garbage, complete garbage.  Canada had no end product in the final 1/3 what-so-ever.  Edgar

had the only decent shot on goal (Header, good save by the keeper) and Peters, Ricketts were simply

shocking.  Lombardo was doing great holding up the ball, thought he played well. 

The shitty thing is that we should have beat Congo, they weren't that good but finished their chances. 

Guest zerocipher

in 15 years time the US will have the best team on the planet.

Not as long as people equate football with touchdown. "soccer" is a well off suburbanite sport in the US, because most americans want to see fast scoring etc etc etc

Guest tbelcher11

Hahahahahahaha!!  We will never be the best in soccer.  Not until the sport gets rid of the politics and schmoozing just to get into a decent program.  All it is in America through every university, through every developmental program, through all the u.s. developmental programs, is politics, money, and who you know in each program.  IF and only if the U.S. got their best talent together, then maybe we would have a chance to make a splash on the world stage.

Hahahahahahaha!!  We will never be the best in soccer.  Not until the sport gets rid of the politics and schmoozing just to get into a decent program.  All it is in America through every university, through every developmental program, through all the u.s. developmental programs, is politics, money, and who you know in each program.  IF and only if the U.S. got their best talent together, then maybe we would have a chance to make a splash on the world stage.

The thing is that the US is very sports obssessed and is willing to put a lot of money into developing athletes, when they have the will to. If they decided they wanted to be a top contender in world soccer, they definately have the resources to do it. To be honest, they already have a good senior team, as well as U20 team.