U20's World Cup (Edgarwatch)

Guest optimistic nit

Guest tbelcher11

in 15 years time the US will have the best team on the planet.

Hahahahahahaha!!  We will never be the best in soccer.  Not until the sport gets rid of the politics and schmoozing just to get into a decent program.  All it is in America through every university, through every developmental program, through all the u.s. developmental programs, is politics, money, and who you know in each program.  IF and only if the U.S. got their best talent together, then maybe we would have a chance to make a splash on the world stage.

The thing is that the US is very sports obssessed and is willing to put a lot of money into developing athletes, when they have the will to. If they decided they wanted to be a top contender in world soccer, they definately have the resources to do it. To be honest, they already have a good senior team, as well as U20 team.

Exactly, it is a good team, not great.  I guess it makes me mad that we don't put our best foot forward when it comes to football on the world stage

Canada wont be far behind, its by far the most popular inner city sport now and still growing.

In the past its been a sport that has only been coached to a certain age and kids then grow out of it, but its much more heavily pushed now all the way up.

Not helping that the likes of Hargreaves and De Guzman have decided to play for other nations. But it will only take one or two to stick with Canada to stop that trend.

I think the MLS will be where the money is before too long, wouldnt suprise me to see this league finally boom over the next ten years or so.

Anyone been watching Argentina Vs Poland?  Quality match.

Sergio Aguerro for Argentina looks amazing. Been a pretty open game though, Poles have played pretty well.

Japan got shafted a bit earlier, Czechs went through.

I think Onyewu could be something if he had another year or two to try to redeem himself.  He's physical enough to be competitive in a world class league, it's just a matter of him being able to become comfortable in any system.  But Jozy Altidore is someone who everybody needs to be looking.  He's a big guy, he's quick, can finish, and has a good head for the game.  Watch for him to show up somewhere on a major stage in the next couple of years.

I thought Onyewu looked out of his depth at Premiership level. His reading of the game was poor, he ballwatched, his reactions weren't too quick and he was very awkward on the ball. We made the right decision to get shot of him.

Currently watching the semi-final between Chile and Argentina, 20 minutes gone and the Argies are 1-up courtesy of an excellent strike from Di Maria, although some Chilean fella has just nearly scored from over 40 yards.

Medel has been sent off for Chile aswell.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I think Onyewu could be something if he had another year or two to try to redeem himself.  He's physical enough to be competitive in a world class league, it's just a matter of him being able to become comfortable in any system.  But Jozy Altidore is someone who everybody needs to be looking.  He's a big guy, he's quick, can finish, and has a good head for the game.  Watch for him to show up somewhere on a major stage in the next couple of years.

I thought Onyewu looked out of his depth at Premiership level. His reading of the game was poor, he ballwatched, his reactions weren't too quick and he was very awkward on the ball. We made the right decision to get shot of him.

Onyewu was shit. Just because you're an imposing prescence physically doesn't mean you're any good as a footballer. Why don't we sign Lennox Lewis he and Onyewu have around the same level of skill and intelligence on the ball.

Cracking game on right now between Chile and Argentina.  Rode past the ground on my bike and watched 15min's of the first half on the stadium large screen.  Got in just as the second half started and Chile are having a go at them with 10 men.  The Argies are flopping around like Salmon out of water. 

It ended 3-0.  The Argies will take on the Czech Republic in the final.  Should be an entertaining match.  That little Argie (All of five feet, three inches) was immense tonight.  Moralez is the name, I believe.  His ball into the box for the 2nd was sublime.  Chile and Austria will battle it out for third. 

The Chilean support were hurling plastic water bottles at the ref and his crew as they exited.  Some pretty s**** calls from him, but the Argies were flopping like flounder.  The straight red in the first half is a prime example. 

Chileans went a bit crazy.

The Ref was a disgrace to be fair, but after the match they continued barraging the ref. The officials had to be ushered out by police, but the best was yet to come.

The Chilean team (not the fans) then started fighting the police and officials, the whole team had to be detained for two hours after the match. Crazy.

Chileans went a bit crazy.

The Ref was a disgrace to be fair, but after the match they continued barraging the ref. The officials had to be ushered out by police, but the best was yet to come.

The Chilean team (not the fans) then started fighting the police and officials, the whole team had to be detained for two hours after the match. Crazy.

I know, eh mate?  Feck, I was just outside the park before half and everything was cozy.  Ride my bike home, watch the 2nd half and the madness ensues!  Should have rode it back down to watch that spectacle!  Of course, Chile blames our police for everything: http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story/?ID=214113&hubname=