The Asian Cup

Newcastle Fan

Guest black

Dukes isn't a target man?? I think u have ur argument mixed up.  You're saying that in your opinion, Viduka is NOT a good target man.  In my humble opinion, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons Big Sam bought Viduka is to play him as a target man. Assuming Big Sam plays a similar 4-3-3 to what he played at Bolton, Dukes will play the position Kevin Davies was playing - as a target man with Martins and Owen playing off him. In relation to Australia, throughout the world cup last year and this year's asian cup with the exception of the Japan match, Viduka played as a targetman.  Ferguson was a targetman, McBride is a targetman and Viduka is a targetman.

Why would I have my arguments mixed up????? Because they are different to yours???

Viduka is not a targetman, a targetman is someone who likes the ball hit long at them for them to knock it on to another. Ask Viduka if that's how he likes to play football? Ask him if that is his strength?

Viduka is a skillful, ball playing forward not a targetman. He wants the ball played to him on the deck and to his feet or within a radius of four feet from him. Even as a bairn when I first saw him play for Melbourne Knights in 1993, when he was quicker than he is now, he always wanted the ball played into his feet. Please learn the difference.

Dukes isn't a target man?? I think u have ur argument mixed up.  You're saying that in your opinion, Viduka is NOT a good target man.  In my humble opinion, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons Big Sam bought Viduka is to play him as a target man. Assuming Big Sam plays a similar 4-3-3 to what he played at Bolton, Dukes will play the position Kevin Davies was playing - as a target man with Martins and Owen playing off him. In relation to Australia, throughout the world cup last year and this year's asian cup with the exception of the Japan match, Viduka played as a targetman.  Ferguson was a targetman, McBride is a targetman and Viduka is a targetman.

Why would I have my arguments mixed up????? Because they are different to yours???

Viduka is not a targetman, a targetman is someone who likes the ball hit long at them for them to knock it on to another. Ask Viduka if that's how he likes to play football? Ask him if that is his strength?

Viduka is a skillful, ball playing forward not a targetman. He wants the ball played to him on the deck and to his feet or within a radius of four feet from him. Even as a bairn when I first saw him play for Melbourne Knights in 1993, when he was quicker than he is now, he always wanted the ball played into his feet. Please learn the difference.

It is true that Viduka likes to have to ball played to his feet, but I think he'd still play well in a target-man role.

Guest niina

It is true that Viduka likes to have to ball played to his feet, but I think he'd still play well in a target-man role.

In my opinion (and I watch every Australian games on tele), the present Mark Viduka is similar with Alan Shearer of old (about year 2000 - retire), not much speed/a bit slow, using mainly his strength to shield to ball and lay it to other players, powerful shooting and heading :)

I don't know which category he is, tho  :razz:

Guest black

I don't know which category he is, tho 

QFT [/can'tbebotheredtouseasmiliefacebecauseyoustilldon'tknowthedifference]

Guest ryunufc

In my opinion (and I watch every Australian games on tele), the present Mark Viduka is similar with Alan Shearer of old (about year 2000 - retire), not much speed/a bit slow, using mainly his strength to shield to ball and lay it to other players, powerful shooting and heading :)

I don't know which category he is, tho  :razz:

it is likely he will have role similar to kevin davies like eaststar mentioned, but i also agree that he is not a natural targetman like black said. he is too good with his feet to be someone whose task is to knock the ball down from long pass, it would be a waste. instead of being a targetman in the center, viduka maybe given freedom to get into the flanks and chance to try to create something with his creativity. based on my observation, kevin davies last season liked (or maybe told) to do this, sometimes he get into the left flank while anelka played as the main striker.

Not the right thread, but I couldn't find anywhere else to put it.

Anyone watching Liverpool - Portsmouth? Distin and Campbell looking rock solid at the back for pompey. Gutted that we haven't got either of them, to be honest.

Guest niina

I don't know which category he is, tho 

QFT [/can'tbebotheredtouseasmiliefacebecauseyoustilldon'tknowthedifference]

True  :razz:

The ref in this 3/4th play off is a joke. The sending off was iffy and then the dismissal of 3 staff on the South Korean bench was even more ridiculous. Wasted about 5 minutes of time as we waited for them to head up stairs. Just get the game to move on!

Korea (10 men) 0-0 Japan after 62 mins.

All I'll say about the targetman issue is that your interpretation is very very strict and narrow. IMO Viduka is mostly played as a targetman - whether he is a good one or not is another issue.

anyway - i'm happy we won on penalties. The ref was appaling and totally stuffed up the game.  First half I thought was normal and the game looked like it had promise but second half was a farce.  Korea defended well although Japan had more chances to finish the game before penalties.  Again the two korean fullbacks really impressed me.

Guest ryunufc

good ending fairy tale, iraq is a worthy winner. the saudis couldnt get the game going while the iraqis were very solid at the back and played more like a club side than a bunch of internationals. it has been an entertaining competition, different style of football made the results unpredctable, and it is good to see the standard of the football is still rising especially the south east asian nations attempt to close the gap with the world cup regulars.

Guest Invicta_Toon

amazing how players can perform better when their families aren't under threat of execution if they fuck up, and their manager isn't one of the president's relatives

amazing how players can perform better when their families aren't under threat of execution if they fuck up, and their manager isn't one of the president's relatives

:lol:

Why are England so shit then?  :shifty: