Where's The Beef?

Tsunami

Methinks Tsunami is missing his annual trophy signings. :razz:

Not that interested in them Gemmill. I want a defense. I would have loved us to have gone after Woodgate, may be a bit of a risk at 7M but surely well worth the gamble?

I have seen the views that Baines is too small but I'd also take him; I'd love Bridge but that aint going to happen. Luke Young/ Shorey? Not sure, better than what we have but not top drawer.

There's 5 players (not a trophy player in sight) & we have signed a untility man to play at RB.

:lol:  Of the 5 players you mentioned, you're not sure on two, one of them was unavailable, which leaves Baines and Bridge (who may or may not be available, but it seems he probably isn't).  You mention yourself that Baines is viewed as too small by Allardyce (if Allardyce doesn't think he's the man for the job, that's good enough for me). 

So of that list we've managed to whittle it down to Bridge who it looks like Mourinho wants to keep.  This transfer business is a bit harder than just reeling off a list of potentials isn't it? I would much sooner we make careful, considered decisions than draw up lists like you just have, and go for whatever's available on it even if we're not sure they're up to the task.  I'm hoping we've moved on from that sort of thing.

Get the f*** out of here with your 'logic' and 'reason'. WE'RE OWNED BY A BILLIONAIRE.

I think you're all being a litle harsh on Tsunami. I have to say I agree with him for the most part, but approaching it from a different angle. Unlike the vast majority on here I am yet to be convinced by the plans that our new owner has with our (or should I say his) club.. So far it's only been speculation in the local media based on so called sources close to the club saying he wants us to become a major power in football and is willing to invest what it takes to get us there. The club have organised an exclusive interview with Mr Mort that was essentially a missed opportunity to clarify their position to the fans.

If actions are to speak louder than words I have seen nothing too convincing in that department either. Allardyce, who most put complete faith in it seems and with whom I am personnally quite happy as well as I thought it was (!) the best we could get, was brought in by Shepherd.

In the transfer department we have got a player who our two previous managers were also after (Viduka). An international defender without Premiership experience who on the looks of it looks a bit lightweight, which is worrying in my opinion. Nobody knows for certain he will be a success here. We have got a gifted midfield player with huge mentality issues (whatever happened to everybody wanting to get that sort of unprofessional behaviour out of our club a couple of years ago?) at a reasonable yet not astounding price. And we've got a decent defensive minded utility player on a free from Chelsea.

Forgive me for not being overwhelmed as yet. I would even go as far as to say these are (certainly in part) transfers that I could have seen Roeder go for as well. More worryingly, we are being turned down an awful lot by players that most would have never even heard about or considered good enough up until a month ago. I share in some of the optimism around the club, but I think some need to take off their rose-tinted glasses and see what's what. Our previous owner has brought in the best manager we could have got and he has done some decent transfer business, but nothing really special so far. The new owners are yet to show their hand, and much of the optimism is as yet unfounded. This place is a lot more cheery than a couple of months ago, but there´s nothing wrong with trying to get some perspective on things..

Guest Verlaine

We're not being turned down by 'a lot of players' at all. Just because Beye is staying at Marseille. FFS, some of these posts are fucking ridiculous.

The colds facts at the moment are that we have a net spend of less than 2M, having activated 1 players get out clause & a comparative small amount on a defender. We have also captured 2 out of contract players.

Other clubs are striding ahead of us in this preseason market. Some of the money may be stupid but they are spending it. Look around at the transfers that have happened and the squad building that the lesser clubs are doing.

Basically, what you're saying there is that you're horrified that the club is actually doing good business, then going on to complain that we're not 'squad-building', having whined that we brought in four players.

It's 'What's the beef?,' too, FYI.

I'll think you'll find it is "Where's the beef" & I am not saying that at all. I am saying we have brought in 4 players for little money & are now struggling to get others in & querying why.

Money on that? Bet you £100.

"Where's the beef?" is a catch phrase best known in the United States and Canada. Since it was first used, it has become an all-purpose phrase questioning the substance of an idea, event or product.

It came to public attention in a 1980s US television commercial created by Joe Sedelmaier as part of Dancer, Fitzgerald, Sample's fast food advertising campaign for the Wendy's chain of hamburger restaurants. In the ad, titled "Fluffy Bun", elderly actress Clara Peller receives a competitor's burger with a massive bun (the competitor's slogan was "Home of the Big Bun"). The small patty prompts the gruff Peller to angrily exclaim "Where's the beef?" The humorous ad and Peller's memorable character soon gave the catch-phrase a life of its own, and it was repeated in countless TV shows, films, magazines, and other media outlets.

First airing on January 10, 1984, "Fluffy Bun" featured three elderly ladies examining an exaggeratedly huge hamburger bun topped with a minuscule hamburger patty: the other two ladies poked it, exchanging bemused comments: "It certainly is a big bun." "It's a big fluffy bun", before being interrupted by Peller's outraged, irascible demand. Sequels featured Peller yelling at a Fluffy Bun executive on his yacht over the phone, and coming up to drive up windows at multiple fast food restaurants that would be slammed down before she could complete the line

The phrase was associated with the 1984 U.S. presidential election. During primaries in the spring[when? see talk page] of 1984, when the commercial was at its height of popularity, Democratic candidate and former Vice President Walter Mondale ridiculed the candidacy of his rival, Senator Gary Hart by using the phrase during a televised debate before the New York and Pennsylvania primaries.

Hart had moved his candidacy from dark horse to the lead over Mondale based on his repeated use of the phrase "new ideas." When Hart once again used the slogan in the debate, Mondale leaned forward and said, "When I hear your new ideas I'm reminded of that ad, 'Where's the beef?'" The line got a great response from the audience. Thenceforth, the two campaigns continually clashed using the two dueling slogans. Mondale ultimately prevailed to win the Democratic Party nomination, only to lose the general election in 1984 in a landslide to incumbent Ronald Reagan.

Give the money to charity & let the mods know who it is for. My own preference would be the Special Care Baby Unit at the RVI who I'm forever grateful.

You've, uh, undermined your whole argument by defining it. Nice job. What you really meant was 'What's the beef?' which means 'What's going on?

Err, you owe charity £100 mate. The phrase is "Where's the beef" as in "Where is the substance". It doesn't become you trying to wriggle out of it by making up your own phrase & saying that is what I meant.

Considering the first sentence of your original post is 'what's going on?' you don't have a leg to stand on. The argument is over, because you're wrong.

Sorry, you said the phrase is "What's the beef" & bet £100. I proved it is "Where's the beef" & you owe charity £100.

I can see that you are not going to pay up & you can continue to be delusional about who was correct if you wish.

Guest Verlaine

The colds facts at the moment are that we have a net spend of less than 2M, having activated 1 players get out clause & a comparative small amount on a defender. We have also captured 2 out of contract players.

Other clubs are striding ahead of us in this preseason market. Some of the money may be stupid but they are spending it. Look around at the transfers that have happened and the squad building that the lesser clubs are doing.

Basically, what you're saying there is that you're horrified that the club is actually doing good business, then going on to complain that we're not 'squad-building', having whined that we brought in four players.

I'll think you'll find it is "Where's the beef" & I am not saying that at all. I am saying we have brought in 4 players for little money & are now struggling to get others in & querying why.

"Where's the beef?" is a catch phrase best known in the United States and Canada. Since it was first used, it has become an all-purpose phrase questioning the substance of an idea, event or product.

It came to public attention in a 1980s US television commercial created by Joe Sedelmaier as part of Dancer, Fitzgerald, Sample's fast food advertising campaign for the Wendy's chain of hamburger restaurants. In the ad, titled "Fluffy Bun", elderly actress Clara Peller receives a competitor's burger with a massive bun (the competitor's slogan was "Home of the Big Bun"). The small patty prompts the gruff Peller to angrily exclaim "Where's the beef?" The humorous ad and Peller's memorable character soon gave the catch-phrase a life of its own, and it was repeated in countless TV shows, films, magazines, and other media outlets.

First airing on January 10, 1984, "Fluffy Bun" featured three elderly ladies examining an exaggeratedly huge hamburger bun topped with a minuscule hamburger patty: the other two ladies poked it, exchanging bemused comments: "It certainly is a big bun." "It's a big fluffy bun", before being interrupted by Peller's outraged, irascible demand. Sequels featured Peller yelling at a Fluffy Bun executive on his yacht over the phone, and coming up to drive up windows at multiple fast food restaurants that would be slammed down before she could complete the line

The phrase was associated with the 1984 U.S. presidential election. During primaries in the spring[when? see talk page] of 1984, when the commercial was at its height of popularity, Democratic candidate and former Vice President Walter Mondale ridiculed the candidacy of his rival, Senator Gary Hart by using the phrase during a televised debate before the New York and Pennsylvania primaries.

Hart had moved his candidacy from dark horse to the lead over Mondale based on his repeated use of the phrase "new ideas." When Hart once again used the slogan in the debate, Mondale leaned forward and said, "When I hear your new ideas I'm reminded of that ad, 'Where's the beef?'" The line got a great response from the audience. Thenceforth, the two campaigns continually clashed using the two dueling slogans. Mondale ultimately prevailed to win the Democratic Party nomination, only to lose the general election in 1984 in a landslide to incumbent Ronald Reagan.

Give the money to charity & let the mods know who it is for. My own preference would be the Special Care Baby Unit at the RVI who I'm forever grateful.

You've, uh, undermined your whole argument by defining it. Nice job. What you really meant was 'What's the beef?' which means 'What's going on?

Err, you owe charity £100 mate. The phrase is "Where's the beef" as in "Where is the substance". It doesn't become you trying to wriggle out of it by making up your own phrase & saying that is what I meant.

Considering the first sentence of your original post is 'what's going on?' you don't have a leg to stand on. The argument is over, because you're wrong.

Sorry, you said the phrase is "What's the beef" & bet £100. I proved it is "Where's the beef" & you owe charity £100.

I can see that you are not going to pay up & you can continue to be delusional about who was correct if you wish.

The phrase IS 'What's the Beef?' there is another phrase, 'Where's the Beef?' but it's not the one you intended. Both phrases exist, but you used the wrong one. Suck it up.

I think you're all being a litle harsh on Tsunami. I have to say I agree with him for the most part, but approaching it from a different angle. Unlike the vast majority on here I am yet to be convinced by the plans that our new owner has with our (or should I say his) club.. So far it's only been speculation in the local media based on so called sources close to the club saying he wants us to become a major power in football and is willing to invest what it takes to get us there. The club have organised an exclusive interview with Mr Mort that was essentially a missed opportunity to clarify their position to the fans.

If actions are to speak louder than words I have seen nothing too convincing in that department either. Allardyce, who most put complete faith in it seems and with whom I am personnally quite happy as well as I thought it was (!) the best we could get, was brought in by Shepherd.

In the transfer department we have got a player who our two previous managers were also after (Viduka). An international defender without Premiership experience who on the looks of it looks a bit lightweight, which is worrying in my opinion. Nobody knows for certain he will be a success here. We have got a gifted midfield player with huge mentality issues (whatever happened to everybody wanting to get that sort of unprofessional behaviour out of our club a couple of years ago?) at a reasonable yet not astounding price. And we've got a decent defensive minded utility player on a free from Chelsea.

Forgive me for not being overwhelmed as yet. I would even go as far as to say these are (certainly in part) transfers that I could have seen Roeder go for as well. More worryingly, we are being turned down an awful lot by players that most would have never even heard about or considered good enough up until a month ago. I share in some of the optimism around the club, but I think some need to take off their rose-tinted glasses and see what's what. Our previous owner has brought in the best manager we could have got and he has done some decent transfer business, but nothing really special so far. The new owners are yet to show their hand, and much of the optimism is as yet unfounded. This place is a lot more cheery than a couple of months ago, but there´s nothing wrong with trying to get some perspective on things..

I understand what you’re saying about us not knowing what Ashley has planned for the club but he's going about things in the right way.  He's got rid of most of the shite that was running the club and Shepherd is noting more than an ornament.  Ashley has brought in somebody who appears to be very professional and he seems to be going about his review of the club before moving forwards, again, another good move.

Mort had an opportunity to give out more information but he hasn't been here long enough to go into any sort of detail as he could find out that things are totally different to what he expected, he'd look like an arse if he said one thing and did another.

I can't understand why so many people are questioning the intentions of our new owner before he's had a chance to get his feet under the table.

We're not being turned down by 'a lot of players' at all. Just because Beye is staying at Marseille. FFS, some of these posts are f****** ridiculous.

Agreed, Crist, did I just type that?

Guest Verlaine

I understand what you’re saying about us not knowing what Ashley has planned for the club but he's going about things in the right way.  He's got rid of most of the s**** that was running the club and Shepherd is noting more than an ornament.  Ashley has brought in somebody who appears to be very professional and he seems to be going about his review of the club before moving forwards, again, another good move.

Mort had an opportunity to give out more information but he hasn't been here long enough to go into any sort of detail as he could find out that things are totally different to what he expected, he'd look like an arse if he said one thing and did another.

I can't understand why so many people are questioning the intentions of our new owner before he's had a chance to get his feet under the table.

Because they're fucking morons whose only experience of transfer windows has come on computer games.

We're not being turned down by 'a lot of players' at all. Just because Beye is staying at Marseille. FFS, some of these posts are f****** ridiculous.

Rose tinted glasses I tell you.. A couple of bad results and all the optimism will soon fade away..

Guest Verlaine

Agreed, Crist, did I just type that?

It's amazing how frustration with others can bring people together! ;)

Guest Verlaine

Rose tinted glasses I tell you.. A couple of bad results and all the optimism will soon fade away..

Stating facts is not looking at the world through rose-tinted glasses. Please list all the average players who have turned us down this window. I'll admit I'm naive and wrong if you can provide any evidence whatsoever.

The phrase IS 'What's the Beef?' there is another phrase, 'Where's the Beef?' but it's not the one you intended. Both phrases exist, but you used the wrong one. Suck it up.

You can read my mind can you?

I did ask what is going in but in context of the bigger question of where is the substance (in this case the cash, intent of MA & the signings we need to bring in).

You remain incorrect my friend; this does not make you a bad person, but don't place bets that a) you have no intention of paying up on or b) unless you really are a mind reader

I understand what youre saying about us not knowing what Ashley has planned for the club but he's going about things in the right way.  He's got rid of most of the s**** that was running the club and Shepherd is noting more than an ornament.  Ashley has brought in somebody who appears to be very professional and he seems to be going about his review of the club before moving forwards, again, another good move.

Because they're f****** morons whose only experience of transfer windows has come on computer games.

Bloody hell.. The abuse people get on here for not joining the party as yet is ridiculous.. The transfer activity we´ve seen up to this pount has been what I would have expected Allardyce to do under Shepherd´s reign, i.e. based on common sense but also quite unspectacular. Ashley's money and seeming ambition has not been a factor as yet. I don't see why people aren't allowed to discuss this without being sworn at..

I doubt too many fans will make a call after a couple of bad games.

I understand what you’re saying about us not knowing what Ashley has planned for the club but he's going about things in the right way.  He's got rid of most of the s**** that was running the club and Shepherd is noting more than an ornament.  Ashley has brought in somebody who appears to be very professional and he seems to be going about his review of the club before moving forwards, again, another good move.

Because they're f****** morons whose only experience of transfer windows has come on computer games.

My comments from another thread.

Re: Luque?????

« Reply #1031 on: Yesterday at 12:33:24 » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Northern Monkey on Yesterday at 12:04:39

Quote from: Tsunami on Yesterday at 10:59:08

Quote from: Northern Monkey on Yesterday at 09:16:37

Quote from: Tsunami on Yesterday at 08:10:49

Sam will not be able to add 5 yards of pace to Luque's game or the courage needed to compete in the PL. I have not seen any player knocked so easily off the ball as Luque & he tackles like a coward.

He is a player who needs time on the ball & protection from referees; he aint going to get that in PL. I would love to see him do well but that aint going to happen either.

Watching Luque warm up is soul destroying. Match after match I have watched him trot up & down the line in front of me clearing going through the motions. He has a contract until 2010! We need him out. ASAP.

This.

Only i see him warming up from an angle, rather than right in front of me.

He is in front me; running up & down at between say a 45 to 90 degree angle to the front of me, depending upon his running position on the cinder track. OK?

......and no matter what angle I see him from he looks like he couldn't give a sh*t. If Sam can make a decent PL player out of him he will deserve a medal. Confidence will not give him pace & I really don't think it will give him courage either. The 30 minutes or so he played against Manure on his debut was deeply disappointing; he clearly wasn't a winger & ducked out of every challenge.

Allardyce is good with people, we know that, but f****** Luque can't be magically given pace/control/heart/awareness, can he?

Aside from the kids who think the online showreel is a true reflection of his ability, not many NUFC fans (and even fewer who've actually watched him live) think he can cut it. And they're right, imho.

My 12 year old step son thinks Luque is a good player 'cos he is Newcastle's best player on PC Football Manager (or something). I think there are those on here who may also feel the same & therefore we should stand by him.

Please note, PC simulations are not real life. Luque is not our best player, he will not score over 20 goals a season & he is not worth 20M.

PS: This equally applies to all other posts that make reference to such PC games & the abilities of players referred too.

You see we can agree on somethings.

Stating facts is not looking at the world through rose-tinted glasses. Please list all the average players who have turned us down this window. I'll admit I'm naive and wrong if you can provide any evidence whatsoever.

I can't provide you with evidence of actually being turned down just as much as you can't provide me with evidence that this isn't happening. If you put on your thinking hat though, it's pretty obvious that we have been in for a number of players who have gone elsewhere (Sidwell, Ben Haim, Distin, etc) and for players who have decided to stay put rather than move to us (Beye, Diarra). That's not even stating all the players we have or are reportedly (been) interested in and that haven't materialised. It's pretty obvious to me that the standard of player that we are being linked with at the moment (Quedrue, Shorey, Fanni) is not the standard that a club that has the ambition to be one of the biggest in football needs to be targetting. If you believe otherwise it's hard to argue with you not wearing rose tinted glasses; if it would have been Roeder targetting these players everybody would have been sitting here saying they weren't renewing their season tickets..

Guest Bellers

Methinks Tsunami is missing his annual trophy signings. :razz:

Not that interested in them Gemmill. I want a defense. I would have loved us to have gone after Woodgate, may be a bit of a risk at 7M but surely well worth the gamble?

I have seen the views that Baines is too small but I'd also take him; I'd love Bridge but that aint going to happen. Luke Young/ Shorey? Not sure, better than what we have but not top drawer.

There's 5 players (not a trophy player in sight) & we have signed a untility man to play at RB.

:lol:  Of the 5 players you mentioned, you're not sure on two, one of them was unavailable, which leaves Baines and Bridge (who may or may not be available, but it seems he probably isn't).  You mention yourself that Baines is viewed as too small by Allardyce (if Allardyce doesn't think he's the man for the job, that's good enough for me). 

So of that list we've managed to whittle it down to Bridge who it looks like Mourinho wants to keep.  This transfer business is a bit harder than just reeling off a list of potentials isn't it? I would much sooner we make careful, considered decisions than draw up lists like you just have, and go for whatever's available on it even if we're not sure they're up to the task.  I'm hoping we've moved on from that sort of thing.

Get the f*** out of here with your 'logic' and 'reason'. WE'RE OWNED BY A BILLIONAIRE.

For a kick off our Ashley hasn't even completed his take over of the club yet. He's already stated that a thorough review of the club will take place before any significant funds are released which is probably far too sensible for most of the impatient fans out their.

Also I'm not entirely sure how naive you are, but you don't become a major power in world football over night, building a squad before we bring in "trophy signings" is also a sensible move. 

Or you could look at the glass has being half full, try: Viduka, a player who scored around fifteen premiership goals for a mid table club, brought in on a free (you may even call it a common sense signing). An international defender who under the correct guidance could potentially be a bargain. A gifted midfield player looking for the right manager coming in to replace a pretty talentless midfielder and a decent utility player for free (another common sense signing).

What's the issue We're in July for Gods sake, if your panicing now what were you like last year and the year before? Chill out give the man time. 

Yes, so far, there's still a large portion of the transfer window to come, why get your panties in a twist so early? Oh and why do the new owners need to show their hand? The takeover isn't complete, the man hasn't even got his feet under the desk, patients is required, give the bloke a chance...

I can't provide you with evidence of actually being turned down just as much as you can't provide me with evidence that this isn't happening. If you put on your thinking hat though, it's pretty obvious that we have been in for a number of players who have gone elsewhere (Sidwell, Ben Haim, Distin, etc) and for players who have decided to stay put rather than move to us (Beye, Diarra). That's not even stating all the players we have or are reportedly (been) interested in and that haven't materialised. It's pretty obvious to me that the standard of player that we are being linked with at the moment (Quedrue, Shorey, Fanni) is not the standard that a club that has the ambition to be one of the biggest in football needs to be targetting. If you believe otherwise it's hard to argue with you not wearing rose tinted glasses; if it would have been Roeder targetting these players everybody would have been sitting here saying they weren't renewing their season tickets..

You're making too much sense...............& if FF had still been in charge there would be still more disgruntlement.

Guest Verlaine

You're making too much sense...............& if FF had still been in charge there would be still more disgruntlement.

Considering his post starts with 'I can't provide you with evidence...' :lol:

Guest Gemmill

Jesus Christ, two of the players that we "missed out on" went to Chelsea, and one of them stayed at Chelsea.  There is one example so far this window of a player knocking us back to stay in France.  That's it. 

The ambition to be one of the biggest clubs in football is a long-term thing, in case you hadn't realised.  It's not something we just click our fingers and have happen.  Nor is it something that we can tell players that currently play at Chelsea or who have the option to play for Chelsea and expect them to think "Well fuck me, I've never heard anyone say that at Stamford Bridge.  I'm offski."

We have to work our way up, and if that means signing players that are less than world-beaters along the way, so be it.  It's not gonna happen overnight, and you're fucking daft if you think it is.  We're moving in the right direction this close season.  The only reason you remain underwhelmed is because you have unrealistic expectations borne out by the fact that you think we should be competing with Chelsea in the transfer market from day one.

Guest optimistic nit

for 3 years now with martins, owen, luque and boumsong we've tried to buy stars for big sums to improve our team. we don't need big signings, we need stablising, because before ashley took over we were just going from one extreme to the next, spending lost of money desperately trying to grasp onto our "big club" status as it was being taken away from us. now we first need a squad, of 25 or so players, which we don't have. if you want us to continue as we were going before, and sign another owen, then look what happened last time. a team is no good if there are 20 mediocure players and 4 stars. we need 25 good players before we start to look at trophy signings.

Guest firetotheworks

Some people on here need to chill out a bit. Why get so wound up about someone elses opinion? Its not like theyre in a position of power within NUFC. Were fans ffs.